Image ImageImage Image

KC: Bulls Would Have Pulled BG Offer Regardless of Deadline

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Re: KC: Bulls Would Have Pulled BG Offer Regardless of Deadline 

Post#161 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:43 pm

C3 wrote:I think what it really comes down too, is that management did not view Ben as Roses long-term running mate. This does not mean they believe Kirk is.

This makes sense the last offseason.

But Rose was a hypothetical/non-factor in the famed 6/54 million dollar deal that was thrown at BG.
That's the deal we are discussing here C3.

After Rose's drafting though BG was as good as gone.
For love, not money.
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#162 » by jax98 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:48 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:After Rose's drafting though BG was as good as gone.

Same should have been the case with Hinrich. They play the same position for Jordan's sake! I don't get management when it came to that decision. At least BG filled a need. Hinrich doesn't.
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#163 » by sonny » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:50 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:

Same should have been the case with Hinrich. They play the same position for Jordan's sake! I don't get management when it came to that decision. At least BG filled a need. Hinrich doesn't.

But who else is going to lead the team and teach Rose how to play.

Has our captain said anything about the team apparently quitting on Vinny?
Luke NOT Luc
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#164 » by Luke NOT Luc » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:51 pm

Morten Jensen wrote:

That's the fatal flaw of all of this. You simply can't have that big of a chunk of your cap go towards Kirk Hinrich when you have Derrick Rose and your owner refuses to pay the tax. Anyone in the front office that doesn't understand that is simply ignorant, arrogant or stupid
C3
Veteran
And1: 22

Post#165 » by C3 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:52 pm

Thats true Musiqsoulchild, that year we were coming off a 33-49 record though. Management probably wasn't all that certain what they wanted to do.
Don't take life to seriously and find your potential. Most importantly, have as much fun as you can while you're still here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN2gMP3Q ... r_embedded
Addicted123
Starter
And1: 22

Post#166 » by Addicted123 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:07 pm

Rerisen wrote:
I'm not saying Bosh is the final piece, I'm saying you become one step away once you land a Bosh, or Amare, or Boozer in 2010 (with Gordon still here solving the SG position). Then you have the next several years to try and tweak the roster, to reach the next level.

Maybe if a player like Rose or Noah explodes production wise, that is your avenue right there.

Obviously, I agree that most teams don't win titles without a megastar talent, top 3 player in the league type. But you can't just give up and go to the lottery every year if you don't have those guys. There are only a couple in the whole league, by virtue of their definition.

It's like some want the perfect scenario of Michael Jordan in place again, before we go start spending any money or committing long term to good payers or a above average team. MJ is not walking through that door ever again!

I completely agree. Unfortunately, management is going the route of waiting for another MJ to walk through the door again. And it's really not that bad of a strategy, especially business-wise. You have a constant stream of cheap rookie talent on your roster. And you just keep recycling them for new rookies every few years. The Clippers-model works incredibly well financially.

As far as winning championships, the Bulls will need a lot of luck. They have been very unlucky so far post-Jordan. From Jay Williams, to Elton Brand to Curry/Chandler to Tyrus Thomas, the Bulls have not been at the top of the lotto board at the right time. The Bulls will have another crack at a Top 3 rookie in 2010/11 if things continue at their recent pace. Maybe the luck will turn with the 2010 NBA draft?
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#167 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:10 pm

Luke NOT Luc wrote:
Morten Jensen wrote:

That's the fatal flaw of all of this. You simply can't have that big of a chunk of your cap go towards Kirk Hinrich when you have Derrick Rose and your owner refuses to pay the tax. Anyone in the front office that doesn't understand that is simply ignorant, arrogant or stupid

Mort, Sonny and Luke:

As a board we have discussed ad nauseum the relative demerits/merits of Kirk/BG. I do not want to revisit that argument. Several pros and cons exist for both players and I am not going to be drawn in to that....again.

But Luke makes an interesting point.....and yes Management tried pretty hard to trade Kirk.

Twice already, Kirkie Poo has escaped the trade hammer due to his injuries. And right after that he sort of made a decent comeback last season .

For crying out loud, Management was thinking of trading him to the Warriors I beleieve. Also, Memphis I think....my memory may be off but I know we were not one bit concerned where we were trading Kirk to.

Hell, we traded Paxson's "favorite" to freaking Sacramento.....these are all indicators to me that our organization is pretty much ruthless when it comes to shipping off contracts or trying to unload players.

That is a good thing and debunks the theory that this management is not basketball/cap driven in it's decision making
For love, not money.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,716

Post#168 » by madvillian » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:38 pm

Just think how horrible this team would be without Rose -- a result predicated ENTIRELY on luck. Now, remove the fanstastic good luck to get the 1st pick, and what are we left with?

A pile of suck and incompetence. Please, please, please either sell the team or get some new management JR.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 470

Post#169 » by Future Coach » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:15 am

I'll go on record saying I don't think gordon was worth the contract offered. I would have been willing to give him that money for a 1 year deal , but I still think it's a bad long term investment to pay a sg that size that kind of money. I always knew our team would be worse this year for letting him go (granted I thought salmons would prove to be a little more functional), but in the long term i felt signing him would have guaranteed early playoff exits year-in-and-year-out (earlier then winning a ring that is). I'm of the mindset that if you don't get a ring or improve towards getting one, then what is the point?

Playoff basketball is about matchups and having Gordon against any of the top teams would have been a mismatch in the oppositions advantage.

With all this said, I have no idea why he was ever picked. If he was never thought of as a potential pg (remember we drafted hinrich the year before gordon), then why was he ever picked? We didn't like what crawford brought to the team and he had more size, what was so appealing about gordon as a sg?

I agree it's terrible to sign a player to the qualifying offer then just let him walk away for nothing, essentially letting assets disappear, is potentially the worst route management can take, but so is investing big $$ in a player that is not an ideal fit with your franchise player on both sides of the court.
I think the fact that pax blindly jumped into this situation when he selected gordon and proceeded to continue to deal with it about as terribly as possible is all the reasoning you need to fire paxson.

If gordon was willing to take 6th-man like money (not bulls/hinrich 6th man money, but common sense salary) then it wouldn't have been bad to keep him in a jason terry/jamal crawford type role. But that's not the price or role he was looking for, so you might as well let him walk and bite the bullet in the short term. And keep in mind, despite all the scoring problems, the Bulls are still profitable so it's really the fans biting the bullet and not ownership.

Return to Chicago Bulls