Image ImageImage Image

Rumor I heard about a Bulls-Magic trade

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,455

Re: Rumor I heard about a Bulls-Magic trade 

Post#101 » by samwana » Wed Feb 3, 2010 10:16 am

I really like this (OP) trade more and more, it makes a lot of sense, hopefully we don't wait too long to pull the trigger on some of the deals who seem to be out there.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,040

Post#102 » by fendilim » Wed Feb 3, 2010 11:21 am

organix85 wrote:Interesting trade...

I'd just like to point out that I browsed through the Magic forums and they don't seem to think he's as a bad a defender as we are saying. I personally haven't seen much of the Magic, so I don't have my own opinion...but reading through the opinions of Magic fans, it can't hurt to have this guy around. He shoots well and hustles. He also has leadership qualities.

And if he does turn out to be a downgrade, Poohdini is right. This is the scenario most fans wanted just a month ago. Salmons has increased his value. We wanted this and now we are second guessing.

JJ has actually been one of our best team defender.

Right now, Salmons for Redick striaght up is really something we the Magic needs to think about. THe past 3 years, JJ has struggled to adapt to the NBA game, but this year, he has broken out. Our offense has been running better with him on the court than VC.

I know most of the stats don't really say much but... this, I think, speaks as to how JJ has played this season for us [this post I will quote came from another board]
Looking over at Basketball-Reference I noticed some very interesting trends from our very own JJ Redick I'd thought I'd share with you all.

Currently...

JJ has the highest Offensive Rating of anyone on the team at 123 (Vince Carter has the worst @ 102)...

... He also has the worst Defensive Rating at 108 (Dwight leads at 95, best in the NBA)

JJ is second behind Dwight in Offensive Win Shares at 2.8, and 2nd in overall Win Shares at 3.8 (This stat basically says how many wins were a direct result of having the player on your team, add up everyone's Win Shares and you get the teams' win total)

JJ does all this WHILE being 7th overall in Usage% @ 17.6

In comparison, Vince Carter is 26.7, Ryan Anderson is 24.4, and Dwight is 23.2

(Usage Percentage is the percentage of team plays used by the player while they were on the floor, basically JJ receives less than 1/5th the amount of total team plays when he's on the court)

JJ also has the lowest Turnover Percentage (amount of turnovers per 100 plays) @ 8.7

Vince is second at 8.9

Dwight is obviously the worst at 20.0

JJ is fourth on the team in effective FG% @ .550

Dwight .599
Williams .554
Gortat .552
Redick .550

Carter .428

Redick is 2nd on the team in True Shooting Percentage at .609, only trailing Dwight @ .624

JJ also currently leads Rashard Lewis (.405) on the team with a 3PT% of .407

Vince Carter does have a slightly higher Player Efficiency Rating than JJ though, 14.7 to 14.4

Basically, all of you saying JJ has been our most effective player outside of Dwight are right, and we need to resign him if at all possible.

In addition, Matt Barnes is currently second in DRTg and Defensive Win Shares and needs to be resigned as well.

Source
http://www.basketball-referenc.../teams/ORL/2010.html
So to anyone saying JJ sucks and all, I think you guys need to start watching more of our games and see for yourselves that JJ has indeed improved this year.
bulltillIdie
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#103 » by bulltillIdie » Wed Feb 3, 2010 1:19 pm

we do not want jj guys. i know its pretty exciting whenever a new players come to town and whatnot.. the thought of change is pretty exciting etc etc but we will hate jj shortly after he was here. we'll hate his guts and his inconsistency.. been there done that. neeeext.
Shootdabull
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#104 » by Shootdabull » Wed Feb 3, 2010 5:01 pm

bulltillIdie wrote:we do not want jj guys. i know its pretty exciting whenever a new players come to town and whatnot.. the thought of change is pretty exciting etc etc but we will hate jj shortly after he was here. we'll hate his guts and his inconsistency.. been there done that. neeeext.

I have not seen alot of JJ but after looking on the Magic board & the note from Incubus it sounds like he has improved quite a bit. I envision him opening up some space to help rose drive to the hoop. He is a different type of player than Salmons but it sounds like he could help out quite a bit. For us I think it is important not to risk Salmons opting in. Unfortunately if JJ is playing that well I'm not sure why the Magic move him. I think this would be a good trade for us.
Eyeballs
Bench Warmer
And1: 35

Post#105 » by Eyeballs » Wed Feb 3, 2010 5:07 pm

Total misread of Usage in the quoted bit from the Magic board. Redick's low usage number is a liability, not something in his favor. If he could get open more often, he'd get the ball, it's not like the Magic don't want him shooting open shots.
Sever82
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#106 » by Sever82 » Wed Feb 3, 2010 6:07 pm

David Thorpe in his chat think it would be a great trade for the bulls. I think it would be. I feel the reason Salmons isn't fitting in right now is because they have him as a spot of shooter and thats something he's not. He's a good shooter but also has some driving ability. I think Reddick would work perfectly for the bulls cause he could run through the screens, spot up and shoot.
Frank Vogel (Pacer's Coach) on Derrick Rose: "Iverson's Speed, Jason Kidd's Vision, Chauncey Billups Shot and Michael Jordans Athleticism."
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#107 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Wed Feb 3, 2010 6:08 pm

Eyeballs wrote:Total misread of Usage in the quoted bit from the Magic board. Redick's low usage number is a liability, not something in his favor. If he could get open more often, he'd get the ball, it's not like the Magic don't want him shooting open shots.

Thats not necessarily true about usage. I don't know what kind of lineups Orlando throws out there - but if Redick is on the flooor with R Lewis and V Carter, then his usage is going to suffer because those guys are naturally high usage players.

The real value of usage is when you compare it to production. If Redick has a low usage number, but is still productive, then its a plus. No one is running their offense through Redick - and we wouldn't either - we'd expect the offense and the other players to get Redick his shots.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 470

Post#108 » by Future Coach » Wed Feb 3, 2010 6:45 pm

CO77XBulls wrote:
Future Coach wrote:Could be worthwhile to get Barnes if he is available. He's a quality shooter, provides consistent effort, works well in uptempo system, and can provide spot minutes at PF against teams with smaller PF's. He does have a player option for next season, but it's at less than $2mill. I think I would rather have Barnes than James Johnson, for whatever that's worth.

Matt Barnes has no basketball IQ what so ever. I rather stick with James Johhnson. I know the kid looks clueless out there but so many of you are so eager to dump him. Also Anthony Johnson as a third backup is much better than having old chubby Hunter.

I disagree about Barnes. He is not one to make terrible turnovers over and over again. I've seen a good amount of Barnes while he was with the Warriors and he was certainly one of the most reliable players on the roster in terms of consistent effort and willingness to swing the ball quickly (something that really stood out on his Warrior teams as quick ball movement was a rarity). Barnes would be a nice addition and provide more than James Johnson.

And I am down on James Johnson mainly from the way one of our fine reporters, Sherron Shabazz, painted his mindset. I just don't see Johnson ever being a key piece to a championship contending team unless his mindset changes drastically, and I don't really think he is worth the patience with our current roster.

And even if we get Anthony Johnson Lindsey Hunter will still be on the squad. He's not going anywhere. Think of him as an assistant coach that our front office decided they wanted to count against the cap.
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,104

Post#109 » by cool007 » Wed Feb 3, 2010 6:50 pm

Let's just hope that Vince continue to suck (he had a very good game last night), coz if he plays well, they may not go for Salmons.
Kyben36
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#110 » by Kyben36 » Wed Feb 3, 2010 9:53 pm

Chi town wrote:So will JJ become our Rudy Fernandez lite?

Seems like JJ is playing better than Rudy right now anyway.

Rudy is more athletic, and has more size than JJ, I would still take Rudy over him.

Return to Chicago Bulls