Image ImageImage Image

You've got $24M to spend and there's no Big 3. Who ya got ?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

EastBayFJ
Head Coach
And1: 295

You've got $24M to spend and there's no Big 3. Who ya got ? 

Post#1 » by EastBayFJ » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:41 am

I'm dealing JJ and/or our 1st round pick in sign and trades for my free agent targets - or - future picks so that I've actually got say $24M to spend

So anyway ....

David Lee - $15M - 6 year $75M deal - Starting at $10M per with 10% increases - but with a $5M signing bonus in Year 1 ( this will screw the Knicks big time with their plan to pay 2 guys ( one of which is Lee no doubt a sa fall back to the Big 3 ) to fit around T Mac for lesser money )

Mike Miller - $3M - 5 year $18M deal ( TO 4th and 5th year )
Kyle Korver - $2.25M - 5 year $14M deal ( TO 4th and 5th year )
Brad Miller $1.5M - 2 year deal ( TO 2nd year )
Acie Law - $750K - 1 year deal
Cap Hold #1 ...ultimately Brian Skinner for a vet's minimum
Cap Hold #2 ...ultimately Anthony Johnson for a vet's minimum
Cap Hold #3....ultimately a D League / un drafted wing defender for the minimum

Noah
Lee
Deng
Hinrich
Rose

bench

B.Miller
Gibson
Korver
M.Miller
Law

Skinner
Johnson
Training Camp surprise

This only puts us in the market for a Pryzibilla or Collison type addition next year if we can snare them for MLE money ( in which case Brad Miller would be let go on the 2nd year of his deal via the TO )

But for better or worse this is our team at least for the next 3 to 5 years with the only prospect of improving via tradeable pieces to shake the mix / fits up better

Over a 5 year window I think this team can contend in the East but don't believe we can go all the way and win a title without a missing piece type consolidation trade that could come later that puts us in legit contention

But if its all we got for now I take it .
"GarPax played Grab Ass with Mirotic for 5 years and been in Omaha playing Hide the Salami with Doug McBuckets for the 1.5 years and they've developed feelings for him. Well, I say "F feelings and F loyalty!" I want CHIPS! Jerry Krizause
smez86
Sophomore
And1: 20

Re: You've got $24M to spend and there's no Big 3. Who ya got ? 

Post#2 » by smez86 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 7:59 am

That failz. We sux.
Legendary 33
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#3 » by Legendary 33 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:01 am

Kyle Korver should be one of our targets. He's one of the only pure 3 point shooters in the league and he would do wonder for Rose (and his assists)
Godzilla039
Analyst
And1: 288

Post#4 » by Godzilla039 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:06 am

Boozer/Amare(any order) Joe Johnson
Just a must-watch army of possessed ass-kickers laying the smack down night after night after night. People are gonna hate playing the Bulls this year.
nitric0
RealGM
And1: 1,352

Post#5 » by nitric0 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:11 am

Take the money and run
“We were right there with them. We dominated for most of the game, but then Derrick Rose happened.” - Al Horford
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,456

Post#6 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:22 am

can we trade for good players with bad contracts? does that work?
BJ43
Banned User
And1: 33

Post#7 » by BJ43 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:27 am

Mike Miller, Lee, Korver, Pryzibilla or Collison ? Are we only allowed to add white guys?

In that case I'd actually go after Scola (restricted) and Ginobili (unrestricted) as they fill our 2 biggest positions of need at SG and PF and possibly if we can sell them on playing alongside each other it might work.

I also have 0 interest in offering David Lee $15m a year, or even if i misunderstood your post 75 over 6 yrs is 12.5/yr in theory, personally I wouldnt want them to offer him more than 10M/season, whilst a good player he doesnt really put us over the edge and at that price what's the point?

I'm Kidding about it being limited to white players :) it just happened that the people you mentioned where mainly white, but in all seriousness I would like to go after Scola + Ginobili if we cant get one of the big names
apollocreed32
Veteran
And1: 5

Post#8 » by apollocreed32 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 8:27 am

ChiCitySPORTS#1 wrote:can we trade for good players with bad contracts? does that work?

lets trade for luol deng
how many jab steps does it take to get to milwaukee?
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#9 » by boogydown » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:28 am

If the Big 3 are gone, you try to lock another player up quickly for a decent price.

1). Make an offer for Joe Johnson 15.7m/yr
2). Make an offer for Amare Stoudemire for 13m/yr
3). Make an offer for Carlos Boozer 11m/yr
4). Make an offer for Rudy Gay 10m/yr
5). Make an offer for David Lee 10m/yr

While I agree that PF is our biggest need, Joe Johnson has proved well enough that he can win games for his team so he is likely the 4th option for our management.

If they acquired Joe Johnson at that price, we will have exactly 6.05 million left (not counting our 1st pick which will cost an additional 1.5 million).

Seems to me that all sources point to the Bulls going after Wade, and then Joe Johnson. If they succeed, getting a PF will likely come through a trade.

Our best scenario if Lebron, Bosh, and Wade stay and basing it on management rumors

1). Joe Johnson verbally agrees, S&T occurs where Atlanta (or a 3rd team) takes Hinrich, Bulls give Charlottes Future Pick as well as James Johnson. (Gives us around 15.26 million)

2). We then have enough cash to sign one of David Lee or Carlos Boozer.

3). Sign mediocre bench players

This is if Atlanta is willing to do this and if not then we adjust this where we have to find a way to trade Hinrich to acquire a PF in scenario 2.

This is why management should have moved Hinrich, but I understand their reason to win now.
EastBayFJ
Head Coach
And1: 295

Post#10 » by EastBayFJ » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:52 am

Well the thinking was was that Mike Miller and Hinrich is > than Joe Johnson which allows us to make David Lee our primary target at $12.5M per

You ask what the point is for Lee at $12.5M and that he doesn't put us over the top....well neither do Boozer and Amare who are older and have a histoy of more worrying injuries who will be nothing worth their contracts in 2 to 3 seasons

My view is that Lee at 30 years old in 3 years will be at a reasoanble average cost of 75% of max when you discount the $5M sigming bonus I would give him

Noah. Lee and Deng give us one of the best rebounding front courts in the NBA

Deng, Hinrich, Noah and Gibson are the nerve centre of our defense - which would be retained and is currently rated a Top 5 defense ( and there is room for growth/improvement here )

Korver and Mike Miller give us the long range shooting that opens up our floor considerably which allows for a considerable improvement in our offense

Noah and Lee give us too highly sklilled high post / interior passers

Lee is the perfect deferential 2nd option behind Derrick Rose ... a legit 20ppg scorer with Deng as the 3rd wheel - but leading the defense with Kirk

This team is , IMO , top 3 in the East for several years always in the mix for the EC crown and knocking on the door for contention

The point was , down the road, we have enough pieces to look for a consolidation missing piece to put us over the top and into contention. That's the value in contracts like Lee, Deng and Kirk as he winds down in the last year of his current contract
"GarPax played Grab Ass with Mirotic for 5 years and been in Omaha playing Hide the Salami with Doug McBuckets for the 1.5 years and they've developed feelings for him. Well, I say "F feelings and F loyalty!" I want CHIPS! Jerry Krizause
nba_addict
Sixth Man
And1: 7

Post#11 » by nba_addict » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:04 am

^
That team will always fail in the playoff unless Rose ends up the next Lebron.
Bullsfan87
Senior
And1: 0

Post#12 » by Bullsfan87 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 11:16 am

I used to be on the David Lee bandwagon but having seen his defence.. its so bad I dont know if I could get over it.

I'd make offers to Amare and Boozer, we really need a PF to play pick and roll with Rose and they are the best available after Bosh. I think Amare would sign for us, he's definately leaving the Suns..

I'd also go after Joe Johnson, but at slightly below the max. He is as good as any SG for us in terms of fit and talent.. would be able to punish any team that tried throwing the kitchen sink at Rose.

I would definately try to resign Brad to a small deal, vets min if possible. He'd be a really good guy to have off the bench.. its hard to get a decent backup centre in this league.

I think the main thing is we need one of Boozer/Amare/Johnson. We need that 2nd option on offence to take pressure off Rose and Deng.. it will help both their offensive games to have another talented scorer drawing attention. I dont think David Lee can do this for us.
Magilla_Gorilla
RealGM
And1: 4,451

Post#13 » by Magilla_Gorilla » Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:13 pm

One big problem with your 'screw the Knicks scenario' - the signing bonus is spread over the life of the contract for cap purposes - so if we were to give Lee a 5 million dollar bonus, on a 5 yr contract with a 10 million first year, the cap hit of the first year would only be 11 million.

Bonuses are really only good to screw small market teams that are cash strapped - or to entice a player by offering money up front.
Sham - Y U NO sell me a t-shirt? Best OB/GYN Houston
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 754

Post#14 » by Hold That » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:59 pm

Morrow/Boozer or Morrow/Lee, just bring in Anthony Morrow pleeeease!
Hold That
RealGM
And1: 754

Post#15 » by Hold That » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:02 pm

Morrow/Boozer or Morrow/Lee, just bring in Anthony Morrow pleeeease!
Paxson
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by Paxson » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:11 pm

I love me some David Lee but not for $15 million per year!! That is ridiculous amount of money in this economic climate. In my opinion, when you look at both Defense and Offense, David Lee is on the same level as Luol Deng. So I would not pay David Lee more that Deng type money. The most I would offer Lee would be is $12m/year for 4 years (I think Deng makes 11.5/year).

But if LBJ, Wade and Bosh are unavailable I would go after Johnson first by offering him a 3 year max deal with a 4th year team option. I would make a play for Boozer and Lee (also for 3-4 years) but below the max. $12m/year for Lee, $14/m year (3 years) for Boozer. Call me cheap, but a) I am scared of the new CBA and its effects on resigning Rose and also) overpaying players only created us fans to hate those players.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,436

Post#17 » by Susan » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:49 pm

PF- 1. Lee at a deal starting at 12 mil over 5 years
2. Amare at a deal starting at 13 over 5 years
3. Boozer at a deal starting at 12 mil over 5 years

SG- 1. Manu at a deal starting at 7 mil over 3 years
2. Ronnie Brewer at a deal starting at 7 mil over 5 years
3. Morrow at a deal starting at 6 mil over 5 years
4. Mike Miller at a deal starting at 5 mil over 3 years
5. Completely stay away from Joe Johnson at all costs
sonny
RealGM
And1: 269

Post#18 » by sonny » Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:55 pm

Poohdini wrote:Morrow/Boozer or Morrow/Lee, just bring in Anthony Morrow pleeeease!

But paying Lee 15M a year is ridiculous.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#19 » by BrooklynBulls » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:05 pm

Susan wrote:2. Ronnie Brewer at a deal starting at 7 mil over 5 years

A-ha-ha-ha-bsolutely not. What? Ronnie? Brewer? What?
hawkson101
Sophomore

Post#20 » by hawkson101 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:06 pm

David Lee is the best player on a team 17 games below .500
His talent isn't game changing and he isn't good enough to pull his team above .500
Pay someone 10 Million and you should expect them to carry the team, and be atleast .500.

Why do you think he is worth over 10Million?

Return to Chicago Bulls