Image Image Image Image

2008 Season Preview

nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

2008 Season Preview 

Post#1 » by nitetrain8603 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:11 pm

So right now I'm predicting the Sox finish third in their division. Minny will finish last, and KC 4th. Obviously 1 & 2 will be Detroit and Cleveland.

Fielding:
C - AJ Pierzynski
1B - Paul Konerko
2B - Danny Richar/Juan Uribe/Alexi Ramirez/Pablo Ozuna
3B - Joe Crede
SS - Orlando Cabrera
RF - Jermaine Dye
CF - Nick Swisher/Jerry Owens
LF - Carlos Quentin/Nick Swisher

Rotation:
LHP - Mark Buehrle
RHP - Javier Vazquez
LHP - John Danks
RHP - Jose Contreras
RHP - Gavin Floyd

Bullpen:
CL - Bobby Jenks
SU - Octavio Dotel
SU - Scott Linebrink
MR - Matt Thornton
MR - Mike MacDougal
LR - Ehren Wasserman
LR - Nick Masset

The Sox are likely to carry 12 pitchers and one less sub player because John Danks & Gavin Floyd are likely to wear out the bullpen. That is also the reason why Ozzie is splitting them up and having Jose Contreras pitch 4th in the rotation.

The two battles in spring training are what is determining what the lineup will look like. At 2B the battle is between Richar (who is a decent prospect and I hope wins the job because I think he can become a Robinson Cano if given time, but is still raw), Juan Uribe (who I think is better as a sub because he could play SS & 3B as well and is too streaky to start), Alexi Ramirez(Cuban import who also can play CF; I think we should put him in the minors first for a year barring injury though), and Pablo Ozuna (I think he's better off as a sub because he could play all 3 INF positions and he's a great batter only against Left handed pitching).

The other battle is between Jerry Owens and Carlos Quentin. Owens is speedy, but only had 2 decent months in the season. He's better off as a 4th or 5th OF because he really is only a good defender and would be a great pinch runner. He doesn't hit for a good OBP and has no power. If he wins the battle, he'll be our leadoff hitter.

Carlos Quentin is a 4/5 tool hitter. His stock fell because of an injury last year, but he was Arizona's top prospect 2 years ago and was a stud all-around. I think he'll return to form and be what he was supposed to be. He can play CF, but is better suited for a corner OF spot. Either way, he has a stronger arm than noodle-armed Scott Podsednik or Jerry Owens combined. He'll be throwing out alot more runners, and his defense is a big improvement.

If I had a choice, my bench would look like:

Util - Pablo Ozuna
INF - Juan Uribe
OF - Josh Field
C - Toby Hall

Lineup:
2B - Danny Richar
SS - Orlando Cabrera
CF - Nick Swisher
1B - Paul Konerko
DH - Jim Thome
RF - Jermaine Dye
3B - Joe Crede
C - AJ Pierzynski
LF - Carlos Quentin

The additions of Cabrera and Swisher should help greatly with clubhouse chemistry along with OBP, and Slugging %. Swisher will have the greatest improvement as he's going from extreme pitcher's park to hitter's heaven. He could also play backup 1B. I think we'll be closer this year to Cleveland & Detroit, but it'll be hard to pass them up barring injuires.
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#2 » by Cliff Levingston » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:41 pm

The Sox imitating the Bulls and putting their best prospect (Fields) on the bench? Cliff Levingston would start him in left until we can find a taker for Crede. You've then probably got too much power in your lineup but who cares?

Another tricky but possibly good move would be putting Swisher in the lead-off spot. He's a switch hitter and very patient at the plate. He doesn't bring a ton of speed, but if nothing else, he's going to make the pitcher work to start the game.

Lastly, Cliff Levingston would put Dye above Konerko with Thome in between them in the middle of the lineup. Then you've got some good pop following with Crede, Fields and Pierzynski.

1. CF Swisher
2. SS Cabrera
3. RF Dye
4. DH Thome
5. 1B Konerko
5. 3B Crede
7. LF Fields
8. C Pierzynski
9. 2B Richar

...with Ozuna, Owens, Quentin, Uribe, Hall and Ramirez on the bench.

Cliff Levingston isn't worried about the lineup though, rather the starting pitching. It has the potential to be brutal.
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 585

Post#3 » by Howling Mad » Wed Mar 5, 2008 9:02 pm

The last post for this forum was over two weeks ago.

Feb 19th '08 at 5:40pm.

...and White Sox fans say they're not fair weather?
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#4 » by SportsWorld » Thu Mar 6, 2008 12:09 am

White Sox are ranked 12th in MLB 2K8 for some reason and they won the World Series in my first year by simulating the season. Hmm...
Howling Mad
General Manager
And1: 585

Post#5 » by Howling Mad » Thu Mar 6, 2008 1:32 am

Are we OTing this board again?
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#6 » by SportsWorld » Thu Mar 6, 2008 3:23 am

BULL even PAX wrote:Are we OTing this board again?

No mods here anymore :dontknow: :lol:
natedog125
Junior
And1: 0

Post#7 » by natedog125 » Thu Mar 6, 2008 9:25 am

I tried to ask a couple people how to be mod here and didnt get 1 response from anyone so i guess they didnt like me as a candidate although i think ive posted more than anyone on this board. Which isnt saying alot.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#8 » by SportsWorld » Sat Mar 8, 2008 11:40 pm

^Because you need to fix your signature :rofl:
natedog125
Junior
And1: 0

Post#9 » by natedog125 » Sun Mar 9, 2008 12:15 am

SportsWorld wrote:^Because you need to fix your signature :rofl:

Yea no kidding. Well when you made it for me sportsworld it was true.. Maybe you can make me something with out the playoff thing. Maybe Lottery central?
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

Post#10 » by nitetrain8603 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 4:43 pm

Cliff Levingston wrote:The Sox imitating the Bulls and putting their best prospect (Fields) on the bench? Cliff Levingston would start him in left until we can find a taker for Crede. You've then probably got too much power in your lineup but who cares?

Another tricky but possibly good move would be putting Swisher in the lead-off spot. He's a switch hitter and very patient at the plate. He doesn't bring a ton of speed, but if nothing else, he's going to make the pitcher work to start the game.

Lastly, Cliff Levingston would put Dye above Konerko with Thome in between them in the middle of the lineup. Then you've got some good pop following with Crede, Fields and Pierzynski.

1. CF Swisher
2. SS Cabrera
3. RF Dye
4. DH Thome
5. 1B Konerko
5. 3B Crede
7. LF Fields
8. C Pierzynski
9. 2B Richar

...with Ozuna, Owens, Quentin, Uribe, Hall and Ramirez on the bench.

Cliff Levingston isn't worried about the lineup though, rather the starting pitching. It has the potential to be brutal.

Well I would prefer Fields in LF as well, especially with Quentin still trying to come back from shoulder surgery, it looks like he'll start off in AAA. Sox don't want to put him there and solely want to develop him at 3B.

Brian Anderson has all but locked up the 4th OF position though and it looks like if Owens' nagging injury doesn't correct itself quickly enough, Brian will be a starter opening day. If that's the case, I hope he is in CF because he would be defensively the best CF in the AL and probably the league.

If that happens, it looks like Ozzie does indeed want Swisher to lead off if Owens isn't available or is still injured which is a smart move for the reason you stated. Now it won't be too smart because we won't be using his power in the best slot, but I wouldn't mind. Ozzie has finally come around and stated he needs OBP more than anything.

Uribe has all but locked up the 2B spot because Alexei, from what Ozzie said, needs to learn that position better(I honestly think he looks fine out there and his bat is what this team needs; he looks like a young Soriano to me), and Richar is having injury problems which followed his Visa problems.
SportsWorld
RealGM

Post#11 » by SportsWorld » Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:31 pm

Nitetrain if you want to gain a few members over here I would make a topic right around the opener saying to come over here to talk White Sox baseball. There are a ton of White Sox fans over at the Bulls board but they haven't found there way over here yet. Maybe put a link to the Bears, Cubs, and Blackhawks board as well.
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#12 » by Baller 24 » Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:03 pm

SportsWorld wrote:Nitetrain if you want to gain a few members over here I would make a topic right around the opener saying to come over here to talk White Sox baseball. There are a ton of White Sox fans over at the Bulls board but they haven't found there way over here yet. Maybe put a link to the Bears, Cubs, and Blackhawks board as well.

Sports World, thats a great idea.
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
Cliff Levingston
RealGM
And1: 1,094

Post#13 » by Cliff Levingston » Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:05 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:Well I would prefer Fields in LF as well, especially with Quentin still trying to come back from shoulder surgery, it looks like he'll start off in AAA. Sox don't want to put him there and solely want to develop him at 3B.

Brian Anderson has all but locked up the 4th OF position though and it looks like if Owens' nagging injury doesn't correct itself quickly enough, Brian will be a starter opening day. If that's the case, I hope he is in CF because he would be defensively the best CF in the AL and probably the league.

If that happens, it looks like Ozzie does indeed want Swisher to lead off if Owens isn't available or is still injured which is a smart move for the reason you stated. Now it won't be too smart because we won't be using his power in the best slot, but I wouldn't mind. Ozzie has finally come around and stated he needs OBP more than anything.

Uribe has all but locked up the 2B spot because Alexei, from what Ozzie said, needs to learn that position better(I honestly think he looks fine out there and his bat is what this team needs; he looks like a young Soriano to me), and Richar is having injury problems which followed his Visa problems.

So you think they'll start Fields on the bench, with Anderson in center and Uribe at 2nd? Does that put Swisher in LF then?

LF Swisher
SS Cabrera
RF Dye
DH Thome
1B Konerko
3B Crede
C Pierzynski
CF Anderson
2B Uribe

Not bad, but Cliff Levingston would hate to see Fields benched Tyrus Thomas style.

Return to Chicago White Sox