Image Image Image Image

Brian Anderson trade

TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 208

Brian Anderson trade 

Post#1 » by TNBT » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:53 pm

I'm sort of disappointed to see Anderson leave, to be honest. I know we didn't really have much of a choice, considering that he made his desire for a trade quite clear. However, Dye, Podsednik and Wise are all into their 30's and they wont be around forever. I think the kid has more talent than he has shown lately, and if he was willing to stick around and work hard, he could have taken over a spot in the outfield at some point. Anyway, the trade is made and Anderson is gone. In return, we got this guy Mark Kotsay. I don't know a lot about baseball (especially other teams and players not on the White Sox) so I don't know much about this guy. I was hoping we'd at least bring in a young-ish guy in return, but this guy is 33. For those who know more about the game and the players involved, what did you think of the trade? What is this Kotsay guy like? How does he play? Is he any good? Did we win or lose the trade? Basically post anything that comes to mind about this trade or the players involved.
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Re: Brian Anderson trade 

Post#2 » by TNBT » Sat Aug 1, 2009 4:47 pm

So no one has any opinion or thoughts on this trade? Come on guys, I'm new to baseball. Help educate me!
a-rod
Assistant Coach
And1: 21

Post#3 » by a-rod » Sat Aug 1, 2009 8:20 pm

Kotsay is nice utility player who could hit for good average, and while he's not that good, he does possess a nice power with over 100 career home runs. as for Brain Anderson hes nice outfielder, but He was never a good offensive player and he will never will be, hes a nice utility player and he will keep the regular starters fresh, but that's about it.
pillwenney wrote:
SacKingZZZ wrote:No thanks to Deng. I read a rumor surfing hoopshype awhile back saying Gay for Reke is a possibility.

Must be true, if it's a rumor you read on Hoopshype.
:rofl:
ChronicKerr
Lead Assistant
And1: 59

Post#4 » by ChronicKerr » Sat Aug 1, 2009 11:30 pm

simple: garbage in garbage out
TNBT
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#5 » by TNBT » Sun Aug 2, 2009 11:10 am

a-rod wrote:Kotsay is nice utility player who could hit for good average, and while he's not that good, he does possess a nice power with over 100 career home runs. as for Brain Anderson hes nice outfielder, but He was never a good offensive player and he will never will be, hes a nice utility player and he will keep the regular starters fresh, but that's about it.

Thanks for the reply. As for Anderson, I guess maybe I thought he had a little more potential than he actually did. I know his numbers offensively weren't great, but I figured that it was a slump and they would improve. I was hoping we might have kept him, as with Quentin, Wise, Dye and Podsednik in the outfield, that's 3 guys over 30 and they wont be around forever. At 27, I figured that if he could handle another year or two, he would be able to take over one of the outfield positions, or at least be the primary backup.
Shootdabull
Veteran
And1: 138

Post#6 » by Shootdabull » Mon Aug 3, 2009 9:59 pm

Kotsay has definately around the bases a few times and is on the down side of his career. At this point he still can be a valuable utility player for us. His best season was five years ago when he hit over .314 & 15 HRs in 600 plus at bats. He is left handed and has .280 career average. On the down side his 2008 season stint with bos was less than stellar after the atl trade and he had surgery in the off season. Has not shown much this season but neither has anderson. We are picking up a little bit of offense here and I don't anderson was in the long term plan as he has not performed well at the plate. Maybe a change of scenery helps both players as Kotsay was hitting around .290 before going to bos..

Return to Chicago White Sox