Image Image Image Image

Contreras implicated in smuggling case.

Demon2
Junior
And1: 0

Contreras implicated in smuggling case. 

Post#1 » by Demon2 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:56 am

OAKLAND -- According to an article in Wednesday's edition of the Los Angeles Times, Jose Contreras has been implicated in offering $200,000 to finance the smuggling operation bringing his wife and two daughters to Florida from Cuba in June 2004.

That accusation was made Tuesday in a Florida courtroom by Geoffrey Rodrigues, a convicted felon who admitted to participating in two smuggling operations in 2004. According to the article, Rodrigues testified that he received $5,000 for recruiting Edward Hernandez to co-pilot the boat that brought Miriam Murillo, Contreras' wife, their children and seven other friends and relatives to the United States. Hernandez and Roberto Yosvany, a second pilot, split another $65,000, according to reports on the testimony.

Contreras had no comment on the matter Wednesday morning. But manager Ozzie Guillen, a strong advocate of putting family matters above all else and a knowledgeable individual concerning the world of Latin American politics, gave his opinion during a regular pregame session with the media.

"I'm big with family, and if I have the money, I'll try to do that," said Guillen of Contreras' reported situation. "My family is first, no matter what, especially when you leave that [stuff]. I don't want to come here and leave my family there.

"But people have to understand, at least he has the money. Some people think his family is here with $200. People have to understand the reality about Cuba. People have to understand the [bad] politics between the United States and Cuba.

"People understand the kids are in the middle of the situation. You want your kids out of there as quick as you can. You want your kids to be with you. If they told me, 'You got to jump in the ocean to get your kids back here,' I will do that. That's the way people are doing right now."

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/ar ... p&c_id=cws

Hard to argue that was he's accused of doing was wrong. Anyone in the same position he is would have probably done the same thing. It's a classic case of morality vs. law. I just hope it doesn't have an affect on his White Sox career any time soon.
Chicago 2016 Image
Darth Celtic
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,077

Post#2 » by Darth Celtic » Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:42 am

like anyone will bring up charges on him, instead he needs a medal.
MrDollarBills = MrWelchesBets

Return to Chicago White Sox