Image Image Image Image

Big series vs twins

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,992

Big series vs twins 

Post#1 » by dougthonus » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:25 pm

Well magic number is 5, and we have to go into Minnesota where the Twins have absolutely owned us.

I'm scared of a sweep to be quite honest. It's very feasible that Minnesota wins out if they sweep us and eliminate us from the post season. If the Sox get swept I think they're out. If they win 3 then they're obviously in as that would clinch it. If they win 2, then they are a virtual lock (just need 1 win in 4 games), if they win 1 then they'll need to win 3 of the their last 4 games (or get losses from Minnesota).

I predict that the Sox take 1 game of the 3 in the series and I think that puts them about 50/50 to make the post season. Though it's hard to imagine going into the post season with any less hope then I'd have for the Sox right now. The winner of the Twins/Sox shoot out for the post season is probably the worst team in baseball to go. Even the Dodgers seem hotter right now than the Sox/Twins would be.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Shootdabull
Veteran
And1: 138

Re: Big series vs twins 

Post#2 » by Shootdabull » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:41 pm

This is a great opportunity for the sox. What a better way to show they belong than to beat the twins at home. I am looking forward to this series. The sox have come up big when the lead was on the line all year. When Vazquez pitches lights out tonight, the twins are going to crumble. We have put ourselves in a great position relish it don't fear a sweep. Even if this series does completely blows up we still will have a shot at winning it.

Once we are in, we may have the worst record of the AL teams, but the team with best regular season record doesn't mean they will come through in the playoffs. We just need to catch fire at the right time. Alot of these guys did it in 2005, I would like to see them do it again. I did not expect much when the season started, but we have got ourselves in great postion. Enjoy this series it could be the start of something special...................
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#3 » by dougthonus » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:51 pm

What a better way to show they belong than to beat the twins at home.

I guess the question is do they belong?

I don't think they really do without Quentin in the lineup.

When Vazquez pitches lights out tonight, the twins are going to crumble. We have put ourselves in a great position relish it don't fear a sweep.

If we win tonight, I do think there's a good chance the Twins crumble. The game does mean more to them than to us. 1 and 2 still puts us in decent shape to win the whole thing, the Twins really need to sweep to have a good chance.

Once we are in, we may have the worst record of the AL teams, but the team with best regular season record doesn't mean they will come through in the playoffs.

Do we play the team with the best record, or does the wild card automatically play the team with the best record? We'd either get LA or the winner of Tampa/Boston I suppose.

Either way, you always have a shot in a short series, I'd feel more hopeful against Tampa since it's their first time there.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Shootdabull
Veteran

Post#4 » by Shootdabull » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:24 pm

Well game one was a sad performance on many fronts. Its a good thing we built up a few games lead going into the series. Tonights another big game, if we can get a good game from MB today we will be in good shape. Its time to break of the slump we have in Minny because I am ready for victory tonight......

I do agree with that we certainly will be the weakest of the condendars in the AL. So whoever we face, will be the favorite. I would disagree with the do they belong part as we will end up with about 90 wins which is not the best of records but there certainly have been worse playoff teams. Any team that loses there best hitter makes a big change in the line up, but it is pitching that is going to make or break us at the end. Danks, & Floyd have been the guys hoding us together year and we would need them to come up big in the playoffs. Without stellar pitching the odds of us winning are slim, the bats are capable of a big game but more often than not against the top pitchers we will be facing I don't expect a lot of big games in the playoffs. I am not sure if tampa & the bosox can play each other.
Klomp
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 18,640

Post#5 » by Klomp » Fri Sep 26, 2008 4:02 am

Tonights game had to be deflating for you guys, but it sure was fun as a Twins fan
tsherkin wrote:The important thing to take away here is that Klomp is wrong.
Esohny wrote:Why are you asking Klomp? "He's" actually a bot that posts random blurbs from a database.

Klomp wrote:I'm putting the tired in retired mod at the moment
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#6 » by dougthonus » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:01 pm

That was pretty deflating, but also unsurprising. I don't know if it's just the home field or what, but the Twins are an entirely different team at home, especially against the Sox.

Looks like the Twins are in the post season barring a huge choke against KC and the White Sox getting really hot and running the table. I can't imagine that happening though. I figured they were done once Carlos Quentin went out, and actually, since that point they haven't played well enough to make it in, but the Twins have played just as badly.

Whomever makes it in will get killed in the 1st round IMO though.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Shootdabull
Veteran

Post#7 » by Shootdabull » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:56 pm

Well we did a choke job worthy of the bears in fourth quarter. The twins simply were the better team this series. The big comeback win by the twins surely has to have them fired up. Klomp is certainly right about a deflating game, but we have to get over it now.

All is not lost though. Both teams control there own destiny. We just have to beat the tribe and possibly the tigers and twins. Danks has been solid all year so time to get us off to a good start. It will be an interesting weekend and its now or never.
Shootdabull
Veteran

Post#8 » by Shootdabull » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:05 pm

klomp44 wrote:Tonights game had to be deflating for you guys, but it sure was fun as a Twins fan

The whole series had to be fun for you - the twins fans were great you feel the energy. Its a sprint to finish line now. What's could be more fun than if you sweep KC - we sweep the tribe/tigers and we have one game for all the marbles at the cell. Good luck!
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

Post#9 » by nitetrain8603 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 3:57 pm

That sucked overall. Wise IMHO should not have been playing over Anderson or Swisher.
Shootdabull
Veteran

Post#10 » by Shootdabull » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:58 pm

nitetrain8603 wrote:That sucked overall. Wise IMHO should not have been playing over Anderson or Swisher.

In hindsight - I can only agree. I can see Ozzie point in going with Wise - has some speed and who has hit the better than either swish or anderson. If we end up losing this thing - a big sign should point to our failure to land a decent center fielder. We traded the farm for swish and before that we were lead us to believe we would be getting Tori. That has haunted all year except for the few games when swish hot.
nitetrain8603
RealGM
And1: 1,701

Post#11 » by nitetrain8603 » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:17 pm

Shootdabull wrote:
nitetrain8603 wrote:That sucked overall. Wise IMHO should not have been playing over Anderson or Swisher.

In hindsight - I can only agree. I can see Ozzie point in going with Wise - has some speed and who has hit the better than either swish or anderson. If we end up losing this thing - a big sign should point to our failure to land a decent center fielder. We traded the farm for swish and before that we were lead us to believe we would be getting Tori. That has haunted all year except for the few games when swish hot.

Actually hindsight. There was a reason why Wise couldn't stay up in the majors. It's because he blew. Anyway, looks like Ozzie answered my calls a game too late. Anderson is starting in CF and batting 2nd tonight. Swisher is in LF.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#12 » by dougthonus » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:21 pm

Sox blew a golden opportunity tonight.

I'm not too upset, this team isn't a real contender even if they make the playoffs.
@doug_thonus on twitter
SportsWorld
RealGM
And1: 133

Post#13 » by SportsWorld » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:19 am

Wow Javier Vasquez has killed you guys down the stretch.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#14 » by dougthonus » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:58 pm

Everyone has killed them down the stretch, and they still have a chance. It's like the Cubs and Brewers battle last year where they both stunk it up for awhile.

As I said though, it's kind of irrelevant, they're just a bad team. Even if they get in they won't go anywhere. It reminds of the Cubs in that sense last year, everyone got all excited about them in the post season, but they were basically the 7th or 8th best team out of the 8 in the playoffs, so I always thought it was funny that people were talking world series as if it was likely and not some really dim possibility.

The Sox are in that position now, if they make the post season it's probably a sweep in the 1st round.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Shootdabull
Veteran

Post#15 » by Shootdabull » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:32 pm

Well its almost October and were still alive and kicking even if its for that eigth and final spot. There is a good chance if we can beat Freddie and the tigers and we finally get past the twins, nobody will be to surprised if we get swept away. However, every once in a while one of these teams that limps it way into the playoffs finds a spark and goes onto win it. I would like to take a shot at that ever so slim chance than not to play at all.

I hope Gavin's got his rain gear handy. Lets keep the hope alive ......................
Shootdabull
Veteran

Post#16 » by Shootdabull » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:33 pm

Well not quite how I envisioned this a few weeks ago, but we are only one victory away from the playoffs. The grand slam yesterday was great, especially after the tigers took the early lead. I am still holding out hope for that cubs - sox world series. It has to start with a victory tonight. I'm glad we don't have to go back to minny for this one.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#17 » by dougthonus » Wed Oct 1, 2008 1:04 pm

klomp44 wrote:Tonights game had to be deflating for you guys, but it sure was fun as a Twins fan

If only you'd come back now to tell us all how you're feeling. Of course, there's no one here to tell really.
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago White Sox