J. Hairston Jr. SS/CF Jul 14 15-day Strained right hamstring
J. Burton RP Jul 11 15-day Strained right latissimus muscle
A. Harang SP Jul 9 15-day Strained right forearm
N. Hopper CF/LF Jul 5 60-day Right elbow surgery - out for season
R. Freel CF Jun 4 15-day Hamstring surgery, right knee
K. Mercker RP Jun 3 60-day Recurring lower back pain
Á. González SS Mar 21 60-day Compression fracture, left knee

Reds Team Report:

Aaron Harang puts high expectations upon himself, so it meant something when he said, “Things went better than even I expected.”

Harang, working his way back from a forearm injury, threw 50 pitches in simulated-game batting practice Wednesday to Andy Phillips, Jolbert Cabrera and Corey Patterson.

The next step is a sideline session Friday and then a rehab start Monday of 70-75 pitches for Class AAA Louisville. “And if that goes well, I’d like to rejoin the team,” he said.

Harang threw 25 pitches with a protective screen in front of him, then sat in the dugout for six or seven minutes, removed the screen, “because it was hindering my full motion,” and threw 25 more pitches.

“I threw 25 each inning, 15 from the wind-up and 10 from the stretch each time,” he said. “I’m throwing all my pitches and they all felt good coming out, but my off-speed pitches had a little rust and I have to get used to throwing the changeup again.”

Manager Dusty Baker watched the session and said, “He looked pretty good, and I was surprised his location was really good. His velocity looked good, and his changeup was just good. The ball came out of his hand free and easy.”

Reds 9, Astros 5: The Reds hit four homers, two by LF Adam Dunn and the 608th of Ken Griffey Jr.’s career, one shy of Sammy Sosa for fifth on the all-time list. RHP Edinson Volquez held the Astros to one earned run for his 6 1/3 innings to record his 13th victory and first since the All-Star break.

Notes, Quotes

• RHP Homer Bailey, 0-4 with the Reds and winless this year since a victory April 27 for Class AAA Louisville, pitches Friday in Washington. He gave up 15 hits in 4 2/3 innings in his last start against the Rockies.

• 3B Edwin Encarnacion, hitless in his last 15 at-bats, was given Tuesday off, but he was back in the lineup Wednesday against Houston LHP Wandy Rodriguez and singled his first time up. He later homered.

• LF Adam Dunn hit his 31st and 32nd homers Wednesday and is leading the majors for the month of July with 12 homers. He is tied with Philadelphia 1B Ryan Howard and Colorado 3B Garrett Atkins for the month with 26 RBIs.

• RHP Gary Majewski has appeared in four of his team’s last six games and has not allowed a run since the All-Star break (6 2/3 innings, one hit, three walks, six strikeouts).

By The Numbers: 10—Walk-off wins by the Reds through July 27, tops in the majors.

Quote To Note: “He had us fishing and we weren’t catching nothin’. He was throwing a lot of bait out there.”—Manager Dusty Baker after Rockies LHP Jorge De La Rosa threw a two-hitter at the Reds.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Re: Reds @ Nationals August 1, 2 & 3 

Post#2 » by el loco » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:47 pm

Bruce should slide over to right field according to reports, so who plays center until Hairston comes back? That's right, Dusty's guy, Patterson and his .180 batting average. :lol: Hopefully, this isn't the case, but who else is healthy that we can put out there?
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#3 » by kingofthecourt67 » Fri Aug 1, 2008 7:02 pm

They're calling up Hairston a day up early today so he can play center.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by el loco » Fri Aug 1, 2008 8:47 pm

^^^ That is some good news. Hairston has been the best lead off hitter this team has had all season. I wonder who will take over the third spot in the batting order?

1. Hairston
2. Keppinger, he has struggled at the plate since comming back from the DL
3. Bruce
4. Phillips
5. Dunn
6. Edwin
7. Votto
8. Whichever of the 3 catchers that plays.

It is still a pretty decent looking lineup on paper. I really didn't want to see Griffey dealt, but I did at times want to see him taken out of the 3 hole. However, over the past month or so he has/had been swinging a nice bat for us. I hope he gets his ring. I am not a big whitesox fan, but it will be difficult for me not to root for them in the AL.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by el loco » Sat Aug 2, 2008 12:28 am

I don't know if Homer is ever going to develop big league stuff. After 2 innings he has already allowed 5 runs. It seems like a let down game from the reds players so far. Not a single hit yet and a big hole to climb out of already.
kingofthecourt67
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,549

Post#6 » by kingofthecourt67 » Sat Aug 2, 2008 6:45 am

Homer looked good after he came back until that Colorado start. I didnt catch him in the last 2 games, but he looked solid in the ones before that. Hopefully he can revert to that.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by el loco » Sun Aug 3, 2008 6:14 pm

There is no hope for this team. We gave the game away late last night. Lincoln came in and gave up 4 runs late.
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by el loco » Sun Aug 3, 2008 6:15 pm

Maybe we can avoid the sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep today. How fun is that to look forward to in the 3rd game of every series the Reds play?

Return to Cincinnati Reds