Reds (2-3) @ Brewers (2-4) (April 13,14, & 15)

el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Reds (2-3) @ Brewers (2-4) (April 13,14, & 15) 

Post#1 » by el loco » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:20 pm

Where: Image
Miller Park

First Pitch: 8:05 PM ET

Probable Pitchers:
CIN: Volquez (0-1) 8.31 ERA

VS.

MIL: Gallardo (1-0) 2.70 ERA

Reds-Brewers Preview

The Cincinnati Reds didn't have much success within the division or on the road in 2008, but the one exception to that was their play at Miller Park.

The Reds begin their first road trip of the season Monday night when they send Edinson Volquez to the mound in Milwaukee, where they won all three series against the Brewers last season.

Cincinnati (3-3) went 31-47 against NL Central opponents and 31-50 on the road last season. The Reds had losing records in each division opponents' ballpark last season, except Miller Park.

Milwaukee (2-4) lost two of three in every home series against Cincinnati last season, and went 8-10 overall versus the Reds. That kind of success is something Cincinnati is hoping to duplicate as it begins a season-high 10-game trip that also includes visits to Houston and the Chicago Cubs.

"This is a big, important road trip coming up, one of the longest of the year," manager Dusty Baker told the Reds' official Web site. "I'd rather do it now, when you're still strong. The later you get, the hotter it is, and you don't have the same energy. Plus, it's in the division. It's two places we have to improve on, big time: going on the road and in the division. We've got both of them on this trip."

This trip will start with Volquez on the mound. He tied a major league record by giving up no more than one earned run in each of his first eight starts in 2008, but it was a different story one year later.

Volquez (0-1, 8.31 ERA) was tagged for five runs over 4 1-3 innings in a 9-7 loss to the New York Mets on Wednesday. He threw just 56 of 104 pitches for strikes.

"Edinson's control wasn't there," Baker said.

The 25-year-old right-hander is 1-1 with a 5.09 ERA in three career starts against the Brewers -- all in 2008.

One reason Milwaukee had trouble against Cincinnati last season was the lack of production from hitters 3 and 4 in its lineup. Ryan Braun hit .219 versus the Reds in 2008 while Prince Fielder batted .227.

Brewers starter Yovani Gallardo (1-0, 2.70) began 2009 in strong fashion. He allowed two runs over 6 2-3 innings Wednesday and also hit a three-run homer off Randy Johnson in a 4-2 win at San Francisco.

Gallardo pitched just four times in 2008 due to two knee injuries, and was thankful to be on the mound to start the season.

"There were a lot of things going into it, with my first start of the year after I wasn't able to start off with the team last year," Gallardo said. "There was a little bit of anxiousness there. The win, that's obviously the most important for me."

The 23-year-old right-hander is 1-0 with a 1.32 ERA in two career starts against the Reds.

The Brewers have yet to win a series this season, dropping two of three in San Francisco before returning home to lose two of three to the Cubs.

They hope Gallardo can provide some innings after Jeff Suppan lasted just 3 2-3 against the Cubs in an 8-5 loss on Sunday -- the shortest outing by a Milwaukee starter so far. Rickie Weeks went 3-for-5 to break out of a 4-for-20 slump.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=290413108
el loco
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Re: Reds (2-3) @ Brewers (2-4) (April 13,14, & 15) 

Post#2 » by el loco » Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:05 am

We took game One 7-6, Volquez got the win even though his start wasn't impressive, Edwin saved the day with that grand slam.

Game two: Bronson looked sharp as the Reds won 6-1

Game three: Owings first big league start for the Reds, and I am sure he would like to forget it. Burton is struggling out of the bullpen to start the season. I hope he gets it going soon. The Reds lost 9-3.

We are 4-4 on the season. Next up is a 4 game series against the Astros in Houston.

Return to Cincinnati Reds