Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Dickerson replaces Dunn 

Post#1 » by el loco » Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:41 am

Dickerson called up to replace Dunn
Talented outfielder will play left field in Cincinnati
By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

PITTSBURGH -- Chris Dickerson's bags weren't even unpacked yet on Tuesday, but he noticed that his Major League debut was imminent.
The lineup sheet had Dickerson leading off for the Reds and playing left field against the Pirates.

"I'm right into the fire tonight," Dickerson said.

Dickerson walked during his first plate appearance.

"Well, he came here to play," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of the decision to get Dickerson in right away.

The Reds called up Dickerson from Triple-A Louisville to take the roster spot vacated when Adam Dunn was traded.

A Bats homestand was concluding on Monday, when manager Rick Sweet informed Dickerson he was getting his first big league promotion.

"It's an indescribable feeling," Dickerson said. "I literally had no words, no thoughts going through my head -- just, 'Holy cow!' It didn't start sinking in until he told me to go home and start packing. When I started looking at all my stuff and actually packed my bags, my heart started to race a little bit."

In 97 games for Louisville this season, the 26-year-old Dickerson batted .287 with 11 home runs and 53 RBIs with 26 stolen bases. He also owned a .384 on-base percentage.

Baker had the benefit of watching Dickerson play for him during Spring Training and was impressed with what he saw.

"There are a few things most young guys have to work on," Baker said. "It looked like he's improved quite a bit, especially with his bat. You can tell there is some improvement left to do, like most guys. He is better than he was last year."

Although not known for his offensive prowess as he moved through the system, Dickerson has been surging lately. Over his previous seven games, he was 14-for-31 (.419) with six RBIs. He credited Louisville hitting coach Adrian "Smokey" Garrett.

"I kind of modeled my swing after Jay [Bruce] a little bit," Dickerson said. "I got more upright and got my hands up and batted in a vertical position, which allowed me stay up on top of the ball. From there, I started to see huge improvements and the ball started jumping and getting a lot more backspin instead of topspin."

Dickerson was a 16th-round pick by the Reds in the 2003 Draft and was rated by Baseball America in 2007 as the organization's fastest baserunner and best athlete.

Dickerson has played primarily center field during his career, but is in left field for now, as Corey Patterson is in center field.

"The past couple of years, it's been really emphasized to move around and take balls from different positions," Dickerson said. "I've played left quite a bit when Jay was here. We rotated and got our fair share of experience. I should be fine. It's not my favorite position in the world -- I don't think it's any outfielder's favorite position -- but I'll be fine. I've done a lot of work and got a lot better the past year or so."

Return to Cincinnati Reds