ImageImageImageImage

Offseason Moves for 2008 Season

proscout
Junior
And1: 21

Offseason Moves for 2008 Season 

Post#1 » by proscout » Tue Nov 6, 2007 8:02 am

What do you guys think this team needs to do after our World Series run? I think obvious priorities of keeping Holliday and Tulo around for a long, long time needs to be done for sure (not necessarily this offseason for Tulo, but basically those 2 need to stay until they retire).

I think we are set in most fielding positions, except for 2B and C. At C, I'd like to see us go after Paul LoDuca and let Ianetta back him up (and eventually start maybe). At 2B, Kaz was a nice player, but I also read they might try Ian Stewart at that position. If he works out there, that's my top choice. If he doesn't, I guess (given the free agent pool), my second choice would be to sign Kaz for a year or two. My third choice would be to see how guys who have already played in the majors work at out second base (like Barmes or Quintanilla). My fourth choice would be to see how a guy like Jayson Nix (in our AAA team) would work out in spring training. Our starters (with 5 bench players) could look like:

C- LoDuca (Ianetta)
1B- Helton
2B- Kaz (Carroll)
SS- Tulo
3B- Atkins (Baker)
LF- Holliday
CF- Taveras (Spilly)
RF- Hawpe (Smith)

For our SP, I think we should go after Jason Jennings. He worked out well here as a #1/#2, so just imagine how much better he'd be as a #3/#4. Our rotation would look like:

Francis
Cook
Jimenez
Jennings
Hirsh

I think we need to let Fogg go (given the money he wants), and I think Morales would be best served with more AAA time. And then at about mid-season, he should be ready to come back up, and maybe even Reynolds too. If that's the case, then we can use Jennings and possibly Hirsh as well to trade for other needs (probably bullpen). Our SP would then look like:

Francis
Cook
Jimenez
Morales
Reynolds

And that would most likely be our rotation for years to come, and I think that's a pretty good one. And again, all of this is without spending much money at all.

Our bullpen is where we will (and need to) see the most change. Given the 8 position players, 5 bench guys, 5 SPs, that leaves 7 spots for the bullpen. I think I kinda like the idea of going after Chacon and maybe seeing how he works out. And I also think we need to address getting a strong 8th inning guy via trade.

1) Long Relief - Buchholz
2) RP - Chacon
3) RP - Herges
4) RP - Speier
5) RP - Morillo?, maybe someone else
6) 8th - ?? (trade, maybe Casey Weathers by midseason?)
7) CL - Corpas

Trade wise, I think we need to go after bullpen pitchers. I think the trade bait we can use is Feuntes, Sullivan, Barmes, and if Stewart doesn't work out at 2B, either him or Atkins. I'll assume Stewart doesn't work out at 2B, I'd like to keep Atkins and trade Stewart while his hype is still really high and we might be able to get more in return for him (because I just have this feeling he won't be as good at Atkins).

Anyways, I was bored and that's just kinda the things I'd like to see us do. What are your guys' comments and thoughts?
tdownwa
Junior
And1: 0

Post#2 » by tdownwa » Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:38 am

I would really like to see them give Ianetta a run at starting. While he might not be ready I think they might be able to get away with him starting as he matures much like they did with Tulo.

I agree and I think every Rockies fan I know agree with the fact they need to sign Tulo and Holliday to longer deals. It looks like Helton is going to be a Rockie through the end of his contract and likely beyond. Im going to list my thoughts in two posts do to a lack of time right this sec but heres what I would like to see.

C- Ianetta/Michael Barrett
1B- Helton
2B- Kaz (Im sure that Kaz will sign elsewhere. The Cubs are press hard to get him)/Jayson Nix (Give him some run) and explore other options
SS- Tulo
3B- Atkins/Ian Stewart
LF- Holiday
CF- Fas Willy Taveras
RF- Seth Smith/Hawpe
Utl- Carroll
Utl- Jeff Baker
Utl- Spilborghs

Really I think we should hold off on over paying Yorvitt to catch. Kaz is gonzo IMO. Jayson is not ready but I dont think Ian would move to second easily. Atkins might be someone we could move if the FO & coachs feel Ian is ready to get run at third. The only other thing I would like to see is Seth Smith getting a real shot to start in RF. One thought is the NYY are in need of a 3rd basemen. If they dont win the Miggy Cabrara trade, then attempt to shop Atkins to them for some of there 2nd tier pitching prosects. Obviously you'd never get Joba, Hughes, or Kennedy, but might they be willing to let Tyler Clippard, Betances, or a Humberto Sanchez go in the right deal?

Return to Colorado Rockies