ImageImageImageImage

Tigers Re-Sign Magglio

Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Tigers Re-Sign Magglio 

Post#1 » by Piston Pete » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:23 pm

http://www.freep.com/article/20101216/S ... for-1-year

Heyman tweeted that Ordonez will sign a one-year, $10-million contract after turning down multiyear deals with other teams.

Honestly, I don't know how to feel about this move. I wanted us to get younger this offseason. Instead, we signed V-Mart and Maggs and got older.....
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Tigers Re-Sign Magglio 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:41 pm

I can live with one year, though i am not a huge fan. My projected opening day lineup:

Jackson CF
Raburn LF
Ordonez RF
Cabrera 1b
Martinez DH
Peralta SS
Inge 3b
Avila C
Rhymes 2b
RustInPeace
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#3 » by RustInPeace » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:55 pm

Maggs has always been a favorite of mine but I was really hoping we could sign someone younger than 35. We didn't make the splash I was hoping them to make. we really didn't improve by much considering the players we got are on the decline. There's still trades that could happen but now I know better than to hold my breath. Another year of almost getting to the playoffs only to have the Twins overtake us in the end? Oh joy.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#4 » by Piston Pete » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:05 pm

The lineup gains a lot of pop once Guillen returns from injury (BTW, why can't he stay healthy anymore?). Lineup not in batting order:

CF - Jackson
RF - Maggs
LF - Boesch/Raburn platoon
1b - Miggy
2b - Guillen
ss - Peralta
3b - Inge
C - Avila / V-Mart(DH)

Bench: Wells, Santiago, Rhymes, Sizemore
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#5 » by Liqourish » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:14 pm

I love the deal. $10 million is a big decrease in pay for Maggz and we're not locked in on him long term.

As for lineups, mine is different. I can't stand Raburn and refuse to include him in the everyday rotation. I'm hoping him and Leyland break up so DD can drop him.

1. Jackson CF
2. Rhymes 2B
3. Ordonez RF
4. Cabrera 1B
5. Martinez DH
6. Boesch LF
7. Peralta SS
8. Inge 3B
9. Avila C

With Santiago, Guillen, Wells and RaBum off the bench.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#6 » by cochiseuofm » Fri Dec 17, 2010 2:09 am

This is a very low risk deal for a guy who has been pretty good as a Tiger. I'd rather have Magglio than any other outfielder left on the market.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#7 » by TSE » Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:50 pm

It's a fair deal for the player, but only if you are going to make a serious WS run, otherwise it's wasted money that could have been spent as a investment in the future. The move on paper is terrible for us as a business decision and as a sports decision as it once again fails to give us an investment that can extrapolate into the future. We keep backing ourselves into a corner with a poor risk diversification level and that's how you can have many years in a row with over a hundred million dollars going to waste. It's a recipe for the biggest disaster possible because anybody can lose cheaply, and we are giving ourselves high odds to once again fail very expensively, and that's bad baseball. Sure we could get lucky and win the WS over better teams, but the odds aren't high enough to justify the cost in our particular situation.

Bottom line, is this move is stupid unless we do other moves prior to the start of the year to shore up our biggest weaknesses on the roster. That means we must acquire an upgrade to our hitting lineup at either 3B or SS or 2B. If we don't re-organize then we will be certain to have an inefficient team for the money.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#8 » by ajaX82 » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:51 pm

I understand the Raburn hate but i swear i have read things saying that he is going to be the starting Left Fielder next year.

Is Guillen still on the team? Isn't his contract up?
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#9 » by TSE » Fri Dec 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Tigers signed Guillen to a 4 year $48M deal and this season is the last year of that deal. He was overpaid at the time the contract was signed and shouldn't have been signed for that much. Plus he played below what we expected during that last 3 years so we lost on that end too. It's an example of what can happen if you don't play smart and take on risky deals that aren't worth the price you gamble on them.

Return to Detroit Tigers