ImageImageImageImage

Who will we get for Galarraga?

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Who will we get for Galarraga? 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:56 am

Dombrowki said he is "confident" he will trade Galarraga.

The Tigers designated Galarraga for assignment to make room for Penny on the 40-man protected list. Dombrowski said the Tigers thought "long and hard" about taking Galarraga off the 40-man roster.

Read more: Armando Galarraga's career with Tigers might be over | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20110118/S ... z1BRy7qcf7
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Re: Who will we get for Galarraga? 

Post#2 » by cochiseuofm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:48 pm

Nothing worthwhile...besides his should've been a perfect game, Galarraga did nothing last year. 4-9 overall record with a 4.49 ERA. And the year before 6-10 with a 5.64 ERA. He is not a very effective MLB starter.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#3 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 pm

I heard on the radio that NY yankees are interested, i hope so we got jackson and coke from them.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#4 » by TSE » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:03 pm

Not really interested in trading Galaragga unless we are packaging more players to get somebody good. We are way too dilluted, we have too many players that are potentially worth a roster spot, but too few great players or high level players. We badly need to consolidate like 20 guys into 4, or something along those lines. Way too many useless players making big bucks in Detroit. We can't win them, we won't trade them to make use of them, and yet we still pay them and let their value depreciate away for nothing in return. Here's a chance to turn that around and start making logical moves. I'm excited for the trade but also worried that we don't have a real plan to acquire somebody really good.

But to answer your question, here are some guys on my hot list I would like to work a deal for, let's start with Armando plus what to get any of these guys or anybody close to their level:

2B - Robinson Cano, Chase Utley
SS - Hanley Ramirez, Troy Tulowitzki, Starlin Castro
3B - Longoria, Zimmerman, Wright etc.
C - Buster Posey, or how about Verlander for Mauer? :)
RustInPeace
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#5 » by RustInPeace » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:51 am

^
Get real. The only one that has a slight chance to actually be traded is Wright, and we have to compete with lots of other teams with superior farm systems than ours.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#6 » by TSE » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:24 am

Uhh, I am real. These are star players and the odds of any of them being traded are automatically low, but every player has a price, and no team can resist a deal where you pay them more than what they think their own player is worth and you have no way of knowing precisely the value of these players to those teams to know that a trade isn't possible. We have Cabrera who is one of the absolute best hitters in baseball, we have some quality pitchers of value and money too, we have plenty of ammo to get any player in baseball we want. You need to get real and realize this is MY list if I had MY way, and you can't stop me from getting any player in baseball that I declare must be mine. You can argue against what I pay to get that player, but you can't say I can't have whoever I want, cause in the hypothetical where I'm in charge, getting who I want is just a formality (not to mention I have PLENTY of trade targets that are close in value that I only need to get a minimum of 1 of my targets, or 2 of them that may not be on my short list).

That wasn't a prediction post about what I think DD will do, cause he's not looking to make a move like that, he has a completely different agenda and process than I do and has a lot of variables that affect his decision making more than they would for somebody else. i.e. he can't do anything drastic this year and still has to win or he's going to lose his job, and he's not going to do himself any favors w/the owner by trying to suggest to Illitch a long-term complicated trade that involves many tens of millions of dollars worth of players.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#7 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:11 pm

The Detroit Tigers today acquired right-handed pitcher Kevin Eichhorn and left-handed pitcher Ryan Robowski from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for right-handed pitcher Armando Galarraga.

Read more: Tigers trade Armando Galarraga to Diamondbacks for rookie pitchers | freep.com | Detroit Free Press http://www.freep.com/article/20110124/S ... z1BzVzFaF6
cochiseuofm
Veteran

Post#8 » by cochiseuofm » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:26 pm

LOL @ TSE, seriously just LOL, this isn't a video game, where twenty crap players can suddenly sum into one very good player. Why would anyone else want "useless players making the big bucks"?

GMs don't trade their marquee players without reason. Are they untouchable? No, if you offered Cabrera, which would be stupid as he is one of the best in the MLB, we could probably get most guys on your list. But trading scraps for gold never happens. If you can think of an example where a team was able to trade six mediocre players for one already established superstar, hats off to you. I doubt you can.

Seriously, turn of MLB 2K11 dude.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#9 » by ajaX82 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:28 am

a couple minor leaguers is what i figured we would get. meh
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#10 » by Piston Pete » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:18 pm

Almost non news worthy....

What would we have received if we offered Armando arbitration, but then allowed him to sign elsewhere? Seemed as though multiple teams had interest, someone would have signed him. Wouldn't we have received a pick? Would that have been better?
cochiseuofm
Veteran

Post#11 » by cochiseuofm » Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:12 am

Piston Pete wrote:Almost non news worthy....

What would we have received if we offered Armando arbitration, but then allowed him to sign elsewhere? Seemed as though multiple teams had interest, someone would have signed him. Wouldn't we have received a pick? Would that have been better?

The way baseball does it is players are either Type A, which gets them a 1st round pick and a supplemental pick, free agent, a Type B, only get the supplemental pick, free agent, or unclassified. My impression is Galarraga was unclassified because, again, he kind of is not very good aside from the one awesome start, so we would have gotten zilch for letting him walk.

Return to Detroit Tigers