ImageImageImageImage

grading Tigers' offseason, give them an A-

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

grading Tigers' offseason, give them an A- 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:10 am

That's the grade I give the Tigers for what they've done (so far). And what they've done, you already know.

They re-signed Magglio Ordonez, Brandon Inge and Jhonny Peralta.

They've added Victor Martinez, Joaquin Benoit and Brad Penny.

They have a few older players, but aren't an old team.

So why the "minus?"

Pitching depth a question

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110129/OPI ... 380/If-you’re-grading-Tigers’-offseason--give-them-an-A-minus#ixzz1CTc29OJb
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: grading Tigers' offseason, give them an A- 

Post#2 » by TSE » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:03 am

I would say that our offseason was very poor, however our team is definitely better on paper than last year, no doubt about that, but I don't think that is a justification for the type of offseason we had. This was a GREAT offseason for DD to try and save his job, but not for the long-term health of the franchise. He sold out future assets at below market price in order to put that value into this season which is his only for-sure season left. It's just wrong on so many levels and it's hard to justify a positive grade for that. I would say the grade should be a D+, and the reason it's a plus is that despite all that went wrong with the offseason we at least got a little better for this season to give us a temporary shot in the arm.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Re: grading Tigers' offseason, give them an A- 

Post#3 » by cochiseuofm » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:40 pm

A- is too generous IMO, it indicates that the Tigers had a near-perfect offseason which they really didn't. The starting rotation is still a question mark and until that is shored up, or proves to not be a problem, best I can give is a B. Verlander and Scherzer should be dynamite, but how good will Porcello, Penny, whoever the fifth starter is, be?

Return to Detroit Tigers