ImageImageImageImage

Philadephia Phillies possibly interested in Tigers' Ramon Sa

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Philadephia Phillies possibly interested in Tigers' Ramon Sa 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:46 pm

“Sounds like Phils may look to get another utility man rather than full-time replacement for Utley,” Knobler tweeted. “Tigers' Santiago could be a possibility.”

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2 ... es_po.html
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Philadephia Phillies possibly interested in Tigers' Ramon Sa 

Post#2 » by TSE » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:15 pm

Ok, Ramon plus what for Utley? I can wait 'til he's healthy! I'll listen to any and all offers!

Plenty of players on the Philly's roster, they have a handful of 2B and SS prospects too that I don't know offhand who's worth what, but there could be an interesting steal there.

They might want to unload Jimmy Rollins' contract too. He totally should be a defensive upgrade to Peralta, and he should be an offensive upgrade although I don't know what was up with his last season of suspect hitting. If we did Ramon plus Peralta for Rollins, what other factors make that deal work is something to consider too. It depends heavily on who ends up getting the financial advantage and how that would be bargained for, cause he is getting up there in age and expense, but totally worth a look.

OR

How about a deal like this!!??...

Ramon + Peralta + Cabrera + (fill in the gap here we owe more)
for
Utley + Rollins + Howard

That's what I want! Plus they save money so how does this deal play out?? Very interesting is how it plays out!
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#3 » by cochiseuofm » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:37 pm

Right...because Philly is going to trade three of their best, and most popular players, for two average ones and a damaged goods superstar in Cabrera. Santiago is not nearly good enough to use in a trade to get anyone on Utley's caliber.
TSE
Banned User

Post#4 » by TSE » Sun Mar 13, 2011 2:01 am

No, they aren't going to trade unless they feel they get the better end of the deal, that's why I left a blank, we have to pay them what they want to make the trade. And my post is jolly to imply what I would want in MY wildest dreams, not Philly. I can't think or decide anything for Philly, that's up to them to decide which players they are willing to trade and depends what other players they might have an interest in. We know nothing but a rumor about wanting Santiago, so I'm just speculating for conversation's sake in hopes that somebody wants to play devil's advocate and suggest what would be a fair deal in any of the scenarios I simply just suggested.

Utley's caliber is high, which is why I'm offering up Cabrera and a blank check that is open to negotiation within my highest desired package of some of my favorite 3 players that I would prefer to trade for. PHI has opened with suggesting they want Santiago, and I have opened with I like these 3 guys. They can counter for just one or something different, but they won't have much of a chance to negotiate in a logical fashion until I at least speak my mind with regard to what my priority would be.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#5 » by chrbal » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:15 pm

You realize they aren't looking to trade Utley, right? They are attempting to get a fill-in while hes injured.
TSE
Banned User

Post#6 » by TSE » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:03 pm

Huh? I'm going based on the rumor, which is that they supposedly want Santiago. They MUST give up something for him! They have supplied no names as candidates. All we can do is speculate, and I'm merely returning the favor by mentioning guys that appeal to me off the top of my head. So far Philly has suggested to me one possible name of interest, and I have made it easy by giving a handful of names, many big stars in addition to lower valued guys such as the 2B/SS prospects that I lumped in as there are like 3 or 4 of them on the roster that have very small amounts of atbats in their ML history and I don't know what those guys are worth without further scouting reports. So Philly can offer one of those guys as a heads up deal, or they can keep those guys and use some of my other suggestions to pull any other players off our team that they MIGHT also want, such as Cabrera at the top end of our talent, or anybody inbetween Santiago and him.

Just because they want a fill-in doesn't mean that they have to do a one for one trade. If they can't come up with a guy that is worth Santiago by himself, then they must offer more and ask for more. It has to be one of the two. I'm throwing out names of guys I like just for the "in the event" that they have to go that second route. If they don't have to go to that second route, then my comments attached to that premise aren't relevant in that sense. I'm discussing both routes just in case, cause Philly isn't talking to me in live time so I'm putting it all up on this board for now and waiting for a reply in either route or both routes. It would make sense for Philly to negotiate with me on both scenarios to make sure that they figure out the best possible trade for their franchise.

Besides, Utley is hurt and is an expensive player. Some team that can afford the time lost and has the finances to afford expensive players might be willing to give Philly a deal that they believe on their end is worth much more than Utley overall. There is no such thing as any player that can't be traded for, the Phillies will trade any player on their team if somebody offers them a different player/package that they think is more valuable than what they have to give up. Let Philly make up their own minds, cause whatever you think about Utley's value isn't relevant as Philly may view him as less valuable than what you think he's worth, thus they would be more apt to trade him than you would if you are overvaluing him in comparison to them.

Return to Detroit Tigers