ImageImageImageImage

Tigers select catcher James McCann with their first pick

kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Tigers select catcher James McCann with their first pick 

Post#1 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Jun 7, 2011 7:10 pm

McCann hit .306 in 61 games this season, with 14 doubles, six home runs, 11 stolen bases, 38 RBIs and 35 runs

http://www.freep.com/article/20110607/S ... ext|Sports
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Tigers select catcher James McCann with their first pick 

Post#2 » by TSE » Wed Jun 8, 2011 2:28 am

Well I guess in a way I was happy to see 4 positional players drafted first. This club can't figure out how to manage all the pitchers we have already without wasting loads of money and player trades to go out and get even more pitchers. There's no way to stop that mess other than to stop drafting pitchers, so this draft strategy balances things out a little. We also picked up a handful of interesting outfielders, so the depth there is strong. Still need to get some premium infielders for the long-term as the main goal.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#3 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Jun 8, 2011 3:14 am

Why do we have 3 catchers on the team right now? Omar santos should not be here , there is no need to keep 3 when you two best catchers are doing fine.I would rather carry an extra relief pitcher.

the rest of det picks

http://www.freep.com/article/20110607/S ... raft-picks
TSE
Banned User

Post#4 » by TSE » Wed Jun 8, 2011 4:51 pm

Omir Santos is just keeping the bench warm, he's not going to play or be here long anyhow. Besides, I think we have a couple of other catchers in our farm system that are far more promising than Santos for the long-term, so I think Santos isn't really relevant and they obviously don't plan to really use him, and if/when they need an extra player then I'm sure he will be sent back.

And on the late picks, we drafted Colin Kaline for the 2nd time, the first time he went to play college a few years ago so now we can get him into our farm system. Also a guy we got in the 15th round, Tyler Gibson, apparently he was called by a team during the 2nd round that wanted to pick him there and they passed because he indicated he wouldn't play for the money they were offering. I heard that the Braves badly wanted him but only at the dropdown price of the 15th round due to questionable signability and that they were sad to see the Tigers scoop him up, so that could be an interesting steal. He is a high school infielder with a .400+ BA which means nothing really, plus we will have our own challenge with getting him to agree on a signing bonus amount to forego college. He was also quoted as saying he's not sure if he made the right decision, and after seeing how far he dropped he said if he had to do it all over again that he might have just taken the deal that the team in the 2nd round offered him. It's not that big of a deal to him cause he can get the money he wants from the Tigers or he has college as a backup and will get his money later, the only thing he would have to worry about is if he busts or gets hurt.

But stuff like that happens sometimes. I forget the name of the guy that was the most famous case, but like 10 years ago there was a stud prospect that turned down millions in the first round, and then passed on offers for like 5+ drafts in a row and he kept holding out thinking he was going to get a better offer than the last every time, but the offers kept declining until the final offer was a minimum pay tryout with a minor league team that didn't last long before he was cut. Somebody here probably knows that guy's name, he basically went down as the stupidest sports draft pick of all-time, and it all started because an agent gave him unbelievably bad advice. He gave a sad interview working for Walmart at minimum wage as opposed to having a multi-million dollar guarantee just to try baseball as a career.
TSE
Banned User

Post#5 » by TSE » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:22 am

Santos sent back down, Coke back on the roster.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:10 pm

Third rounder Aaron Westlake had 3 HRs yesterday for Vandy

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/baseball ... league=CWS

Move this kid to a corner outfield spot and pray he becomes a lefty power hitter. He should make it through the minors quick...our future in RF?
TSE
Banned User

Post#7 » by TSE » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:56 pm

I don't know about moving him to OF, we already have some OFs, plus we drafted a slew of them who could also turn out to be good hitters, we're pretty loaded there and we have nothing to backup 1st base, and it's always good to have a guy that can be the next Cabrera, that way you have the option to trade the first Cabrera and save a ton of money by having him replaced for cheap, and using that money/value to obtain a Cabrera at another position. When Miguel's contract is up, who knows what could happen, he could want to leave or possibly demand too much money. We need to have options just in case.

Return to Detroit Tigers