ImageImageImageImage

Tigers trade for Betemit

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Tigers trade for Betemit 

Post#1 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:14 am

He is going to start at 3b immediately. Looks like Inge may be done here, Kelly projected to back Betemit up. Wilson has a one year deal too, so that's nice

Got him for two minor leaguers, class A guys. Hardly major guys, so the price was low.

Good move. Hopefully Betemit can for average with a little power
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Re: Tigers trade for Betemit 

Post#2 » by chrbal » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:58 pm

If he can basically do OK, I'd be fine. Hopefully Inge figures it out at Toledo. I realize hes a real polarizing player, but I think its in the best interest of the Tigers for him to get it together.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:20 pm

I'm glad we sent him down. He needs to go to Toledo and work on his swing big time
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#4 » by TSE » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:49 am

Good trade until those extremely young guys who are showing potential grow up, especially Cruz who is the scarier prospect to lose. (Hell we just had to face Moscosco who we got Gerald Laird for which is a guy I wouldn't let hang out on my team if he could play for free, yet our team pays him millions and gives up Moscosco for the right to be stupid and to gamble on that unqualified and illogical player.)

It's a bad deal for a rental player if we aren't going to shape this team up the right way. Now our goal is to get a stud infielder, and Betemit is now additional trade bait we have to acquire what we really need. Still waiting for DD to turn Inge into a better profit when I called him out to do it during his All-Star appearance. Still waiting Dave, you haven't proven me wrong yet on your baseball decisions that I have debated as against you on. I'm up what a hundred now on you?
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#5 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:37 am

Why trade for a 3rd baseman when we have 2 of the same players At AAA toledo ? Brian pounds,and Arginus diaz averages .287 and .320 .at the end of season Betemit is a free agent and may be gone so.
I agree it could be a bad deal for guy could just be a rental, costing us 2 young players again.
Bartender
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Post#6 » by Bartender » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:05 pm

Or this could be like Peralta. If he plays studly, then we resign him. If he plays at just a minor upgrade from Inge, then let him walk and get a bigger fish in FA. Regardless, this team is in win now mode, and Bedemit is an upgrade, and those two prospects weren't even in the Tigers top 50 ranking prospects so we gave crap for an upgrade. An upgrade is an upgrade, especially when you are already at the top of the division.
TSE wrote:Wow I actually like this trade, good job Mayhew!
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by ajaX82 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Bartender wrote:Or this could be like Peralta. If he plays studly, then we resign him. If he plays at just a minor upgrade from Inge, then let him walk and get a bigger fish in FA. Regardless, this team is in win now mode, and Bedemit is an upgrade, and those two prospects weren't even in the Tigers top 50 ranking prospects so we gave crap for an upgrade. An upgrade is an upgrade, especially when you are already at the top of the division.

Exactly. One of the prospects was a catcher even, who we have drafted like 50 of in the last two drafts. This is a no risk move and an upgrade
TSE
Banned User

Post#8 » by TSE » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:10 pm

ajaX82 wrote:
Bartender wrote:Or this could be like Peralta. If he plays studly, then we resign him. If he plays at just a minor upgrade from Inge, then let him walk and get a bigger fish in FA. Regardless, this team is in win now mode, and Bedemit is an upgrade, and those two prospects weren't even in the Tigers top 50 ranking prospects so we gave crap for an upgrade. An upgrade is an upgrade, especially when you are already at the top of the division.

Exactly. One of the prospects was a catcher even, who we have drafted like 50 of in the last two drafts. This is a no risk move and an upgrade

Having more catchers is not a solution to not wanting to give up other young catchers. It doesn't matter what position he plays, cause by the time he would be ready to play in the majors, the guys we have as catcher prospects now might not be any of the guys he would compete for a job against as those guys we drafted are mostly older than him. And if we didn't need a catcher then, then he would be value that gets displaced towards a new position. Every player has value and is currency, and regardless of the fact that you have an inordinate number of 10 dollar bills in your wallet as opposed to another denomination doesn't mean that if you burn your money with fire that you aren't going to miss one of those 10 dollar bills. Betemit may not be like burning a 10 dollar bill, but it doesn't matter, cause if I can find a better option of what to spend my currency on then that's how you win at baseball, and going with a lesser efficient option means lesser bang for the buck, and that's exactly what happened here, we vastly overpaid for what we are getting in return, it's moves likes this that in volume over the long-term create massive failing teams like the one we have had for the last couple decades.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#9 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:00 am

Betemit sucks 9 ab only 2 hits and 5 strick outs and a error in the first game he threw a ball from 3rd and it hit the ground 10 feet in front of him. Bad trade again for the tigers.
TSE
Banned User

Post#10 » by TSE » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:21 pm

Wait isn't he also the best defensive 3Bman ever? Oh wait, he doesn't offer a defensive plus either, wtf? Granted he's worthy of a ML job, but don't see how our team recipe makes any sense to exist in this state and configuration.

Return to Detroit Tigers