ImageImageImageImage

Fielder and Tigers agree to 9-year deal

TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Fielder and Tigers agree to 9-year deal 

Post#41 » by TSE » Sat Feb 4, 2012 12:31 am

I have been calling for DD's head for many years now, way ahead of you. He just does not know how to see the big picture and figure this job out. You are right that his stats are atrocious for the pay level, but I'm not sure Pena and Lind should be in the Pujols group.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#42 » by ajaX82 » Sat Feb 4, 2012 3:24 am

captainturnover wrote:As a brewers fan the detroit tigers paid about 114 million too much for him. He's going on 28, keeps getting bigger (fatter), is probably one of the worst defensive first basemen in baseball, and isn't clutch. Think of him when he's 30 or 35? The clutch player on the brewers unfortunately is Braun. Fielder is a Bill Buckner. During the NLCS this year he took off game 5 and 6. He's has the typical me first mentality otherwise he would be a brewer. GM Doug Melvin pays players he thinks are worth their money. Both Detroit and Milwaukee are over $100 million in player salaries this year and Melvin would've paid him if he was worth it. He's only good every other year and you can look at his stats. I just hope he doesn't turn into a Dontrelle Willis or Renteria deal for you guys. Most brewers fans that are saying this not because he left it's because were disappointed with the way he left, Braun, and the fact you have a better pitching staff.

He's no Pujols, Gonzalez, Ryan Howard, Carlos Pena, or Adam Lind. I guarantee by Fielder's third year with you guys will be calling for Dumbroski's head.

Right...Prince is definitely not on Pena's level, he of the under .240 career average. :roll:
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,449

Post#43 » by Han Solo » Sat Feb 4, 2012 10:06 pm

captainturnover wrote:As a brewers fan the detroit tigers paid about 114 million too much for him. He's going on 28, keeps getting bigger (fatter), is probably one of the worst defensive first basemen in baseball, and isn't clutch. Think of him when he's 30 or 35? The clutch player on the brewers unfortunately is Braun. Fielder is a Bill Buckner. During the NLCS this year he took off game 5 and 6. He's has the typical me first mentality otherwise he would be a brewer. GM Doug Melvin pays players he thinks are worth their money. Both Detroit and Milwaukee are over $100 million in player salaries this year and Melvin would've paid him if he was worth it. He's only good every other year and you can look at his stats. I just hope he doesn't turn into a Dontrelle Willis or Renteria deal for you guys. Most brewers fans that are saying this not because he left it's because were disappointed with the way he left, Braun, and the fact you have a better pitching staff.

He's no Pujols, Gonzalez, Ryan Howard, Carlos Pena, or Adam Lind. I guarantee by Fielder's third year with you guys will be calling for Dumbroski's head.

I'd rather have him than the steroid abusing fake MVP you guys have now. At least he doesn't cheat..
Rodya
Starter
And1: 16

Post#44 » by Rodya » Tue Feb 7, 2012 7:37 pm

^ Nah, I'd rather have the steroid abusing fake MVP.
Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Post#45 » by Blkbrd671 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 5:32 am

i'm all for steriods, just not getting caught
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#46 » by m23uza1hem36 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:56 pm

True Tigers fans realize that in the long run the deal isn't the greatest thing ever, but if he helps the team win it all, the money won't and doesn't matter
Follow @mouzaihem
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#47 » by TSE » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:59 am

I totally agree. That's why i ultimately evaluate everything based upon how I think that decision will push the word "if" towards a more-certain description. The level of magnitude determines how much value of the future you sell from to accomplish that deal, and I think the vast majority of our deals have been terrible propositions and on top of that we missed the boat on endless great propositions that could have been had.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#48 » by Lionlifer » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:13 pm

m23uza1hem36 wrote:True Tigers fans realize that in the long run the deal isn't the greatest thing ever, but if he helps the team win it all, the money won't and doesn't matter

Very true, it could very easily become an albatross in the later years of the deal.

Would you rather have Fielders contract, or Pujols contract. All things being equal, I think I'd rather have Fielder.
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!
captainturnover
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#49 » by captainturnover » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 pm

I was talking about Pena when he had some decent years for detroit. I know he's not the greatest hitter but he's a step up defensively from Fielder. Why do you think the brewers signed Braun to a long term deal, along with Weeks, and Hart? Because they're not fat asses that play defense and produce at a high level EVERY year. You can think Braun took steriods, but why with the consistency of his numbers throughout the years. Why hasn't he been suspended yet? Fielder's not a team player and you'll see when he gets in a fight on tv in the clubhouse with a teammate.
Han Solo
General Manager
And1: 7,449

Post#50 » by Han Solo » Wed Feb 15, 2012 2:11 am

captainturnover wrote:I was talking about Pena when he had some decent years for detroit. I know he's not the greatest hitter but he's a step up defensively from Fielder. Why do you think the brewers signed Braun to a long term deal, along with Weeks, and Hart? Because they're not fat asses that play defense and produce at a high level EVERY year. You can think Braun took steriods, but why with the consistency of his numbers throughout the years. Why hasn't he been suspended yet? Fielder's not a team player and you'll see when he gets in a fight on tv in the clubhouse with a teammate.

Butthurt? You guys just couldn't afford him - deal with it.
Lionlifer
Rookie
And1: 626

Post#51 » by Lionlifer » Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:43 pm

captainturnover wrote:I was talking about Pena when he had some decent years for detroit. I know he's not the greatest hitter but he's a step up defensively from Fielder. Why do you think the brewers signed Braun to a long term deal, along with Weeks, and Hart? Because they're not fat asses that play defense and produce at a high level EVERY year. You can think Braun took steriods, but why with the consistency of his numbers throughout the years. Why hasn't he been suspended yet? Fielder's not a team player and you'll see when he gets in a fight on tv in the clubhouse with a teammate.

Four things:

1) Fielder isn't exactly a flash in the pan, he produces, and has for a while. He will continue to drive in runs, and knock them out of the park. Yes the defense isn't great, and yes the contract could get real ugly later on, but I'll take the good with the bad.

2) Why do I think they resigned everyone but Fielder, probably cause he didn't want to be there, and they couldn't afford him

3) Juicing isn't exactly the move of a "team player," especially when you get yourself suspend for a load of games, not good for the team me thinks.

4) Bet if he resigned you'd be singing a different song, I'm gonna have to agree with Han's diagnosis
2016 Pistons All Time Fantasy League Champ!

Return to Detroit Tigers