ImageImageImageImage

Tigers should take hard look at Victorino

joseph mamah
Starter
And1: 178

Tigers should take hard look at Victorino 

Post#1 » by joseph mamah » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:32 pm

I know hes another rental but if we could slide him in to the two slot and add his range to the outfield without giving up too much it would definitely be worth it. Maybe a package around boesch or avisail garcia and a couple mid level prospects could get it done.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Tigers should take hard look at Victorino 

Post#2 » by TSE » Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:44 am

I don't think he hits for high enough average or power to help our outfielder hitting. We have a glut of unspectacular players and investing into him would just compound the problem.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#3 » by joseph mamah » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:38 am

Yeah i just looked up his stats hes not the same guy he was a few years ago. Id still like to get a 2 hitter who could add a lil d to the outfield i dont trust boesch and a competent 2 hitter would make our offense lethal.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#4 » by joseph mamah » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:40 am

too bad the yanks got ich
TSE
Banned User

Post#5 » by TSE » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:32 pm

joseph mamah wrote:Yeah i just looked up his stats hes not the same guy he was a few years ago. Id still like to get a 2 hitter who could add a lil d to the outfield i dont trust boesch and a competent 2 hitter would make our offense lethal.

Yeah. I think we should already have a star 2B on the roster by now. It should have been planned in advance and would have been very easy to do. We could have lots of extra great players for all of the value we have pissed away in bad decisions. The positioning and management of our assets is mind-bogglingly disturbing to me beyond a level that anybody can truly appreciate. I think about this stuff every single day of my life. I feel like Mr. Illitch is tormenting me, a fellow neighbor in his own city, and it disgusts me that he is allowed to get away with it. I believe there should be laws in society to prevent people of achieving high levels of wealth and/or power in certain types of organizations or areas of influence, and that he should be found guilty of breaking those laws. That's how serious I take my Detroit area sports.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#6 » by joseph mamah » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:28 pm

Dodgers just got him for a couple of old batting helmets and a gift certificate to dairy queen. we could have definitely flipped him straight up for boesch.
TSE
Banned User

Post#7 » by TSE » Wed Aug 1, 2012 2:55 pm

joseph mamah wrote:Dodgers just got him for a couple of old batting helmets and a gift certificate to dairy queen. we could have definitely flipped him straight up for boesch.

Yeah but I think Boesch is not interesting trade bait right now with his current season stats. He was more intriguing after a pretty successful year last year. That was the time to figure out if we wanted him as a keeper or to use him towards a home run trade. We didn't formulate a good plan for if Boesch did or did not pan out, and we continue to miss the boat on identifying moves in advance of winding up in a weaker leveraged position in the future. This his to be a constant functioning process consistently year in and year out, and until we can do that we are always going to find ourselves handcuffed in our options and in no-man's land territory on being able to get full value of each asset.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#8 » by chrbal » Wed Aug 1, 2012 4:19 pm

We still can make trades, like the one we did for Delmon last year. I don't really view Shane as our missing link.
joseph mamah
Starter

Post#9 » by joseph mamah » Wed Aug 1, 2012 7:16 pm

No hes not, especially with the numbers he's put up the last couple years but he would have been a speed/defensive upgrade and if they plan on rushing the kid up next year boesch is going to have to go regerdless. I dont think mr I wants to put another nickel into this team this year after the way theyve been playing i dont think any more moves are coming.
g-mo
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#10 » by g-mo » Sun Nov 4, 2012 4:23 am

Tigers should take a hard look at signing Victorino as left fielder. Tori Hunter probably going to NY Yankees. Shane's a switch-hitter that should bat in 2nd spot--bringing speed and hitting ability--behind Jackson and ahead of Miggy. He's a plus-defender as well. Right Field can be rotated between Boesch [if he straightens out that swing], Dirks & Garcia, with Castellanos coming up after July 1st for a look-see.

Starting lineup gives Leyland a potential everyday right-handed/left-handed mix of hitters:
1- Jackson CF
2- Victorino LF
3- Cabrera 3B
4- Fielder 1B
5- Martinez DH
6- Boesch/Dirks/Garcia/Castellanos RF
7- Peralta SS
8- Avila C
9- Infante 2B
TSE
Banned User

Post#11 » by TSE » Sun Nov 4, 2012 4:32 am

^
Well how do you justify that seeing as he is about 20 points down on BA last year from his career average, as well as 50 points down on SLG? He was making $9.5MM last year so what kind of numbers are you suggesting for him? We don't even have room for him let alone to give him a couple million bucks to squeeze somebody out, he's just not qualified for a job on our team. We need to set our standards higher and our worst OF should be way better than him or willing to play a lot cheaper than 2 million bucks.

Also, I see you only have 2 posts since FEB '11, thanks for the contribution and the lineup suggestion, and what made you decide to post after so long and on the subject of Victorino of all things just curious?
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#12 » by Manocad » Sun Nov 4, 2012 1:27 pm

TSE wrote: I feel like Mr. Illitch is tormenting me, a fellow neighbor in his own city, and it disgusts me that he is allowed to get away with it. I believe there should be laws in society to prevent people of achieving high levels of wealth and/or power in certain types of organizations or areas of influence, and that he should be found guilty of breaking those laws. That's how serious I take my Detroit area sports.

:lol:

This may be your crowning achievement as a poster.

Return to Detroit Tigers