ImageImageImageImage

2011 Season Thread

ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: 2011 Season Thread 

Post#101 » by ajaX82 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:34 am

chrbal wrote:As much as the response will make me regret asking this, how can you consider this a bad move? We gave up a guy who has an ERA of almost 5 at high A ball and a PTNBL who no one knows who this will be.

Not to mention Magglio is now a pinch hitter, thank god.

Its a really good move, don't mind the other chatter. Mags is embarassing in the field and Delmon has a cannon. And a change of scenery will do him good. This was a 20/100 guy last year for gods sake, and he is in his mid 20s

Great low risk, high high reward deal
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#102 » by ajaX82 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:07 am

Great first game for Delmon
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#103 » by TSE » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:28 am

ajaX82 wrote:Great first game for Delmon

That's a small consolation considering we lost and it was a FREAK game for DY. He only had 4 HRs on the year and any player has a good game if they get a homer, but he's not efficient at that and for all future games we aren't likely to see him hit homers to qualify his game performances. Plus he gave up a double late in the game by running laterally when he should have run in short and sharp and it's not a good sign to see him have terrible fielding logic.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#104 » by chrbal » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:15 pm

How did we miss this. Casey Fien was released about two weeks ago by the Astros. He had about a 5.5 ERA with their triple A team. its time to bring him back.

Delmon Young has hit about .300 since June 1st. I did know it was a good move Ajax82. I'd really like TSE to eventually look at facts and reality.
TSE
Banned User

Post#105 » by TSE » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:21 pm

chrbal wrote:How did we miss this. Casey Fien was released about two weeks ago by the Astros. He had about a 5.5 ERA with their triple A team. its time to bring him back.

Delmon Young has hit about .300 since June 1st. I did know it was a good move Ajax82. I'd really like TSE to eventually look at facts and reality.

Hitting a high streak for a short time doesn't make a player's value fully the same as what he produces during that short sample time and hot streak. His season avg and career average are below .300, and that holds more weight to me than what he did over a 75 day period. Plus I don't use BA as a single stat to qualify or disqualify a player, I look at the totality of all their stats and consider defense plus age plus salary plus character, plus contract length/ownership etc. So I don't understand why you debate me on this with only a single stat and not a relevant enough of a stat as it is inconsistent with that player's historical performance. I think your comment here supports my POV more than Ajax actually. You may have more reasons for why you like DY, but they can't be inferred from the post you made which doesn't have any qualified legitimate objections to my analysis of him.

Plus, you have to keep in mind that I'm coming from a position where I don't accept us to be anything less than the best team in baseball, so if you are happy with the level we are at then that is going to change the dynamics of what players are acceptable to you vs what is acceptable to me. If my goal was only to be in at least the top 10 every year and be happy with that, then DY might be a player I would like, but I'm interested in building an uber-elite dynasty, and for that level DY doesn't qualify and he just detracts from that goal, that's horrible imo, and a completely different agenda then what you imply you are looking for from the team to be satisfied. Different strokes for different folks.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#106 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:07 pm

Tigers send Lester Oliveros to Twins to complete Delmon Young trade

www.freep.com/article/20110816/SPORTS02 ... ext|Sports
TSE
Banned User

Post#107 » by TSE » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:31 pm

What they don't tell you in that article is his career ERA in the minors is 3.22. They make him sound like a worthless prospect by handpicking unflattering stats during a small sample time of his early baseball development.

Oh and in more interesting news, the PIrates signed their top draft pick to an $8 million dollar signing bonus. WTF is wrong in PIttsburgh, those cheap asses, they couldn't find a ninth million to give to the poor kid that wasn't even the leader in his school history in any key stats? LOL our world is so screwed up.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#108 » by ajaX82 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:24 pm

Oliveros isn't anything special. We have a bunch of young relievers anywho. Solid trade
TSE
Banned User

Post#109 » by TSE » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:54 pm

ajaX82 wrote:Oliveros isn't anything special.

Agreed on that. But none of the players in this deal are "special" I would suppose. So to me it only makes sense to analyze the trade in other ways other than by denoting who is special or not since they are all not especially special.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#110 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:52 pm

Quote about :Delmon Young (he did hit a home run first at bat )

Quite a player for the Tigers to have added at what looks for now to be a bargain price. The Twins are going with Ben Revere and Denard Span as regular outfielders and aren't in this year's race. They didn't need to carry Young when they weren't going to offer him a contract for 2012 when he's expensive ($5.37 million and arbitration-eligible) and when they're busy with a quasi-rebuilding project.

Two things make Young a potential steal for the Tigers:

He is 25 years old and was a first overall draft pick in 2004.

A year ago, he batted .298 for the Twins with 21 home runs and 112 RBIs.

His talent is unquestioned

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110816/OPI ... z1VEdwSf4h
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#111 » by chrbal » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:06 pm

Duh. At least you now understand what facts are.
TSE
Banned User

Post#112 » by TSE » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:12 pm

chrbal wrote:Duh. At least you now understand what facts are.

How do you know Kellmellus understands facts, and why would it be "now" that he/she does and why don't you think he/she didn't understand them before, cause Kellmellus didn't say anything on the matter, everything in that post is a quote from somebody else's point of view, so your comment where you say "you" doesn't make any logical sense. Kellmellus is just serving as the messenger here to supply us with information provided by that other person. You need to take out the "you" and insert the author of the article's name. Plus it's weird how you claim that author understands what facts are "now", like as if that author didn't understand them before today but now does. How do you come to that conclusion? Your sentiment doesn't make any sense to me, please clarify?
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#113 » by Manocad » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:34 pm

That may be the most pointless post I've ever read in my 5+ years in this forum.
TSE
Banned User

Post#114 » by TSE » Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:11 pm

Oh.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#115 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:27 pm

TSE wrote:
chrbal wrote:Duh. At least you now understand what facts are.

How do you know Kellmellus understands facts, and why would it be "now" that he/she does and why don't you think he/she didn't understand them before, cause Kellmellus didn't say anything on the matter, everything in that post is a quote from somebody else's point of view, so your comment where you say "you" doesn't make any logical sense. Kellmellus is just serving as the messenger here to supply us with information provided by that other person. You need to take out the "you" and insert the author of the article's name. Plus it's weird how you claim that author understands what facts are "now", like as if that author didn't understand them before today but now does. How do you come to that conclusion? Your sentiment doesn't make any sense to me, please clarify?

TSE....Thanks for your support i understand everything you said ,and it makes sence to me.
TSE
Banned User

Post#116 » by TSE » Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:51 am

Cool, and gee Delmon Young is on a tear since he joined with Detroit. I'm impressed so far. ;)
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#117 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:27 am

Delmon Young hitting .308 2hr since being traded to detroit this is one trade that may work out for the tigers in the long run if they resign him.

Cabrera only has 23 hr with is very low for him and Granderson has 35 go figure.

http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/stats/sor ... er+hitting
TSE
Banned User

Post#118 » by TSE » Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:11 pm

Well I sure hope they don't re-sign him. He's not good enough to be part of the long-term future for the money. Our team is currently the worst of the AL division leaders for a reason and that's because we spend too much money for too little talent in return, we have to get cheaper and more efficient with passing out bad contracts, this is the problem we had with guys like Magglio and Guillen and Inge and Dontrelle and Sheffield etc etc; the contracts shouldn't have been signed in the first place. MIN traded DY to us so that they wouldn't make the same mistake that we make with these kinds of players.

We drafted a TON of OFs this past draft and one or more of them are going to earn a chance. Right now Tyler Collins is having a great year and I'd rather give the roster spots to those young cheap guys that are just starting their careers and have potential to be bigtime players. Collins is hitting .336 BA and .536 SLG in his first professional season. And there's more where he came from that haven't hardly started yet.

Granderson also had bad hitting instructors here, I've complained about his approach and technique for years (objections that I have with many of our current players too), nobody would listen to me about that in the past, and now the Yankees have him, and they figured it out too and are helping him make the most out of his bat. What a crushing year he's having. .594 SLG, 100 pts higher than his career average, and no the park difference of NY being a better place to hit than DET is not worth 100 pts as others have tried to use that to justify his higher numbers.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#119 » by ajaX82 » Sat Sep 3, 2011 4:35 am

JV has the Cy Young virtually wrapped up by now....gunning for that MVP. Only Curtis stands in his way
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,196

Post#120 » by ElectricMayhem » Fri Sep 9, 2011 3:03 pm

My prediction is that Verlander will get the most #1 votes for MVP but will still lose out.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!

Return to Detroit Tigers