ImageImageImageImage

Tigers sign Victor Martinez

RustInPeace
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Re: Tigers sign Victor Martinez 

Post#21 » by RustInPeace » Mon Dec 6, 2010 8:26 pm

The Werth contract is laughable now. I really wanted him but the Nats screwed themselves over. The bad thing is this really throws a wrench into our plans if we're ever going to get another big name free agent.

If Opening Day comes though and we have any one of Wells, Boesch or Raburn in our starting OF I will be very disappointed. We need someone consistent and not one half wonders like them. Sign Scott Podsednik for cheap! I heard Jermaine Dye was looking for a job too 8-) (eww former White Sox)
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#22 » by ajaX82 » Tue Dec 7, 2010 12:56 am

RustInPeace wrote:The Werth contract is laughable now. I really wanted him but the Nats screwed themselves over. The bad thing is this really throws a wrench into our plans if we're ever going to get another big name free agent.

If Opening Day comes though and we have any one of Wells, Boesch or Raburn in our starting OF I will be very disappointed. We need someone consistent and not one half wonders like them. Sign Scott Podsednik for cheap! I heard Jermaine Dye was looking for a job too 8-) (eww former White Sox)

I read an article last week that said Raburn is expected to start in LF this year barring something major, so get ready for disappointment.

Personally i am fine with giving the spots to some of our guys like Raburn or Wells.
Piston Pete
RealGM
And1: 1,265

Post#23 » by Piston Pete » Tue Dec 7, 2010 2:51 am

Boesch/Raburn split could work out well....

Boesch is lights out in the first half, and Raburn is lights out post All-Star weekend.

Instead of throwing the money if would take to get Crawford in here, I say we instead throw it at Cliff Lee.

Get Lee, then we could look at cheaper OF alternatives such as Rick Ankiel, Podsednik, or Maggs.
RustInPeace
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by RustInPeace » Wed Dec 8, 2010 8:27 pm

We've been linked to Josh Willingham according to mlbtr.. if that's true than that's great news. He'll be 32 next year but I would still love for us to get him, especially for the probable asking price (not that much since the Nats have Werth now).

Given 500 PA's he's pretty much good for 20 HRs and a high OBP. Having him extended shouldn't be a problem especially once Guillen's contract comes off the books next year.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by ajaX82 » Thu Dec 9, 2010 7:03 am

ESPN saying Crawford to the stupid Red Sox. Between him and Ellsbury out there, they will have the fastest outfield in the bigs.

It really pisses me off how Boston and New York can pretty much get any FA they want because they play with so much more money. Kind of a bitch move by Carl considering he was playing for the small Rays all his career, trying to beat the big bad Sox.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#26 » by cochiseuofm » Thu Dec 9, 2010 8:09 pm

ajaX82 wrote:ESPN saying Crawford to the stupid Red Sox. Between him and Ellsbury out there, they will have the fastest outfield in the bigs.

It really pisses me off how Boston and New York can pretty much get any FA they want because they play with so much more money. Kind of a bitch move by Carl considering he was playing for the small Rays all his career, trying to beat the big bad Sox.

Tigers are pretty big spenders too...we actually had a higher payroll than the Red Sox did as recently as in 2008.

And you can't blame Crawford for taking the big-money deal...I never understand why people expect players to decline more money, I guarentee 95% of the same people wouldn't have a problem doing it themselves.

I wish the Tigers had made this move instead of the Sox, I would have given him this same deal.
RustInPeace
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by RustInPeace » Thu Dec 9, 2010 8:21 pm

Crawford in his best year is not even worth 20 million a year. I'm glad DD didn't try to one up Boston because Crawford's contract has the potential to be the worst in baseball in as soon as 3 years. Crawford is not going to keep on stealing bases like he has by the time he's in his 30's. Just imagine him slowed down at 34, having 3 years left in his contract.

The bad thing is now, the price for Maggs may have just doubled.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by ajaX82 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:53 am

cochiseuofm wrote:
ajaX82 wrote:ESPN saying Crawford to the stupid Red Sox. Between him and Ellsbury out there, they will have the fastest outfield in the bigs.

Tigers are pretty big spenders too...we actually had a higher payroll than the Red Sox did as recently as in 2008.

And you can't blame Crawford for taking the big-money deal...I never understand why people expect players to decline more money, I guarentee 95% of the same people wouldn't have a problem doing it themselves.

I wish the Tigers had made this move instead of the Sox, I would have given him this same deal.

i know i know...its just frustrating.

Personally i would not have given him anywhere near this deal though. Dude's game is based on pure speed. Im not saying Carl isn't a helluva player, but he isn't a spring chicken. When he is 34 do you think he will still be stealing 60 bases and beating out infield singles? me neither
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#29 » by cochiseuofm » Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:40 pm

I'm more concerned about taking advantage of the team the Tigers have right now than worrying about four to five years in the future. Victor Martinez is nice, but I don't think he is enough to get us over the hump of being an average team. But maybe our young outfielders can step up, we'll see now.

Return to Detroit Tigers