ImageImageImageImage

2012 Playoffs Tigers on the way to World Series

Blkbrd671
RealGM
And1: 4,819

Re: 2012 Playoffs Tigers on the way to World Series 

Post#21 » by Blkbrd671 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:05 am

Honestly even if we get out of this series, our bullpen is sh* we'll never make the world series.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#22 » by TSE » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:09 am

Well that was sure an unexpected finish being up 2 runs in the 9th and expecting to close out the series and get some extra rest time before the next one. The A's played pretty bad all series but yet somehow got this thing tied up. Stephen Drew had that terrible baserunning mistake early in the game, gee you would think that Billy Beane would have saved enough money on payroll to afford an extra 5 bucks to hire a competent 3B coach. They showed another angle on that replay and the 3B coach never hesitated with no outs to send him into a certain out, but Drew should have had the awareness still on his own to override the signal to proceed. As a runner you have to try and rely on your backup senses if you can and you know the general game situation to know when your 3B coach is clearly making an unusually risky call. Oh well, one game left to see what happens.

Also, I don't know how many times I've posted about A-rod in this forum, I think today was the first time, but very coincidentally I'm posting again now because it was interesting that the Yankees pinch hit for him in the bottom of the 9th so they could get the LH Ibanez, and the 40 year old with 19 homers on the year not only hits the tying home run, but then hits the GW home run in the 12th to become the first player in MLB to hit 2 homers in a postseason game that he did not start. What a travesty of bad luck for us tonight to give up 3 runs in the 9th and to see those disgusting Yankees come out with a huge double bonus from Ibanez.

Both teams have played about equally awful in this series so far with very different types of mistakes and failures, so I guess it is fitting that there be one more game to see which team truly wants it the least tomorrow night.
TSE
Banned User

Post#23 » by TSE » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:10 am

Blkbrd671 wrote:Honestly even if we get out of this series, our bullpen is sh* we'll never make the world series.

We can just go back to our regular season secret strategy of relying on Fielder and Cabrera to each homer in every game. That usually works pretty well. Well that's really the only thing we have that works, so let's hope for that!

Also we wouldn't need to rely on our bullpen in low scoring games virtually every game if we knew how to build an offensive unit that was efficient that could build chain bonuses instead of isolated homers here and there. DD doesn't even know what a chain bonus is. Granted I made up the term, but the concept is still very applicable whatever you wanna call it. The losses would also be easier to take if they would keep his face off the screen instead of giving us such a dose of him on camera. That's really annoying and I hate having to see him and watch him and even notice that he's there. I just want him as far away from my being able to enjoy this team and this sport.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#24 » by kellmellus50 » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:30 am

Our closer was not on his game he constantly got the ball up in the zone. Also again i was yelling to walk Coco Crisp there was a base open and leland blew that call.

I would let Verlander pitch the whole game even if he had to go 150 pitches.

Good bye valverde... good bye leyland...

. After scoring the 2nd run on Fielder's home run in the third, Young and Dirks followed with base hits. In walks DP Peralta with his.239 BA and instead of moving the runners to second and third with one out, he's allowed to hit. Prophesy fulfilled and his DP grounder kills the rally and a golden opportunity.The error by fielder proved to be costly, as well. That being said, I think the tigers could have had a 5 run lead going into the 9th and they still would have lost. Valverde gave up as many hits in 2/3 of an inning as the tigers did through the first eight.

Note to leland replace perelta with worth or santango to avoid double plays,and have better fielding.better base running.
TSE
Banned User

Post#25 » by TSE » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:33 pm

You know this post just made me wonder what our team DP count was, it just felt like it was high this year but I haven't actually looked up the specific totals until just now, check it out...

EDIT: Ok that stat table sort link didn't work, but you can look it up, the Tigers led MLB in DPs in the regular season with 156. The lowest team had 95.

DPs are the worst thing you can do short of obviously a triple play, so you can see that we have been plagued by them quite a bit. That's why I keep talking about "efficiency" of a hitter, because everybody likes to look at the AVG or the OBP or the OPS or the SLG or the counting stats of HRs and RBIs, Hits, etc., but they don't look at the whole picture of strikeout rates, and dp rates, of which my OE% that I've shown the stats for in the past take into account to show a different metric that needs to be evaluated in concert with the other statistical measures. This game isn't just about how good of a hit you make when you make that hit and the frequency of hits, but it's also about how bad you hurt the team when you do fail. A lot of people don't get that. When Pujols was in his prime he would automatically have huge advantages over the similar Cabrera just because of his speed. So if he hits a Cabrera single, many times he could stretch that to a double where's Cabby can't do that. That has nothing to do with hitting skill, but does affect the value to the team.

Think of it like financial investing. Do you only count how high your return is for days that the market is up, and forget about the losses? If you did that then you could get rich no matter what you do. How big are the positive returns is important, but how severe are the negative returns is important too. If you only lose 1% on bad days, that's a lot different than losing 5% on bad days. You need to know the severity of both the upside and the downside days to know what the overall investment is worth in the end.

The science of baseball is that when a player swings his bat to decide the outcome, it's actually more likely that he will do something negative than something positive. The positive events are the minority of the population, and sometimes people lose sight of that. If you don't manage that science well, then you expose yourself to a hidden virus that saps away your strength. It's like a kid stealing money out of his parent's wallet, you don't take all of the money at once or you get caught for sure, but if you just take a dollar here and there they might not ever notice or plan any security measures, yet the value still hits them in their net worth whether or not they are oblivious to it. Yeah who cares, it's just a dollar, no big deal at all. But those dollars add up. There's a reason why Ben Franklin was so revered, he figured out that even a penny saved is important, from a principle standpoint. It may not sound like much, but it does count. And bad baseball events are worth a lot more than a single penny.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#26 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:57 am

I was right play Verlander the whole game keep the ball away from releif pitchers, (no-brainer)

Baltimore or N.Y, i say baltimore because we open at home..
Cabera and Fielder needs to get untracked and start popping some balls.

Side note tigers hit the least homers of all the playoof teams this round.But they have the most stolen bases and number one in fielding.
Go figure

http://mlb.mlb.com/stats/sortable.jsp#s ... e=st&elem=[object+Object]&tab_level=child&click_text=Sortable+Team+hitting&statType=hitting&page=1&ts=1350042483157
TSE
Banned User

Post#27 » by TSE » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:19 pm

Yeah Verlander for 9 innings is indeed a pretty genius strategy plan, well done Kellmellus!...

Well one thing that is a tough break is having Verlander pitch against you in 40% of the games. He only played in 20% of the games during the regular season, so the A's unfortunately got a double dose of him as opposed to normal. You could say Verlander might be the MVP of the playoffs since he's the one guy on our team that we can exploit for that kind of unusual extra advantage. It's one of the reasons I can't stand how MLB runs this sport because there are so many issues with this game that need to be addressed.

I won't feel bad for the A's or guilty for beating them, particularly because of how horrible they played all series. Billy Beane has a smart payroll design, but his coaches and players were utter garbage all series long. That missed DP ball by Stephen Drew with the bases loaded was huge, but even worse was the 2B play when he threw the ball home. If he charges Delmon Young then he has an EASY tag out and flip to first to end the inning, and DY was stuck in his tracks he couldn't go past him towards second or retreat, it was a very simple play to make. That 2Bman had made tons of goofy plays all series in the way he fields the ball and puts himself in awkward positions. We beat out one of his throws because he couldn't get enough on the throw because he throws his body around so haphazardly. The A's play was just an embarrassment and disgusting. It didn't happen to matter in this particular last game since obviously we only needed 1 run to win, but still it at least makes me feel a lot better that they didn't pull it off after playing so bad. They actually played so bad that my opinion of the Tigers has to rise by a degree as a result, so thanks Oakland for sucking your way to improving our image a little!

I don't really care who we play next. On the one hand I want to play Baltimore because the Yankees are the most deplorably ran franchise in MLB, so to even have a chance of the Yankees winning the World Series would be something really nice to avoid. It would be best justice for them to fail as badly as possible. But on the other hand it would be more high profile in a way to play them plus then we would be the most deserving team to go to the WS, whereas Baltimore would be if we end up playing them. So bring on whoever and hopefully we can play a good series and advance to the big show.

Oh and whatever happens I think it's pretty safe to say that Leyland will be back, I can't see how they would make a change at this point now that he has actually converted to at least the final 4. Illitch is probably extremely happy right now. If it were me I would probably tell Leyland he's gone as of now, but if he plays good in the next 2 series and wins it all then I'd give him the reward of another year, so he can go out there with his neck on the line and try to save his job to keep it interesting. But that's kind of an awkard caveat because if I was there I think Jim would be a great manager for us since I simply wouldn't allow him to do anything I don't like and then there wouldn't be anything to complain about. But for fun's sake it should be a scenario of win or go home Jim, it's all on you at this point buddy!
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#28 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:57 am

The Tigers just need a split to steal HFA. With our SP, it can be done. And much can change from one series to the next. Look for Jackson and Cabby to carry us the the WS. The pressure really is on N.Y. to sweep the first 2 games, the same as it would be on Detroit if they were home games. Is Leyland going to be tempted to use Young in LF for his RH bat? The Yankees have a couple (few?) LH starters that Leyland will have to counter with RH bats, something the Tigers are short on. We just need to find a way to score 5+ runs in 4 games and it's ours. Or have a pitching duel and win a close game.

Verlander will get a home start. And the crowd is going to go nuts for him for taking us this far.

The Yankees had the advantage in the regular season over Detroit, winning six of their 10 meetings.

According to the Tigers, Doug Fister will be the Game 1 starter, followed by Anibal Sanchez in Game 2 (4:07 p.m. Sunday, TBS), Verlander in Game 3 (8:07 p.m. Tuesday, TBS) and Max Scherzer in Game 4 (8:07 pm. Wednesday, TBS).

If the series goes past the minimum four games, Fister will start Game 5, on Thursday at 4:07 p.m. on TBS, Sanchez Game 6 (Saturday, Oct. 20, 8:07 p.m., TBS) and Verlander Game 7 (Sunday, Oct. 21, 8:15 p.m., TBS).

http://www.freep.com/article/20121012/S ... ext|Sports
Manocad
RealGM
And1: 10,561

Post#29 » by Manocad » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:08 pm

TSE wrote:Yeah Verlander for 9 innings is indeed a pretty genius strategy plan, well done Kellmellus!...

A genius strategy employed by every major league manager when his ace pitcher is under his pitch count and throwing a shutout. Who didn't know that Verlander was going to go all nine if he had a lead? The Pakistanis?
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#30 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:22 pm

Manocad wrote:
TSE wrote:Yeah Verlander for 9 innings is indeed a pretty genius strategy plan, well done Kellmellus!...

A genius strategy employed by every major league manager when his ace pitcher is under his pitch count and throwing a shutout. Who didn't know that Verlander was going to go all nine if he had a lead? The Pakistanis?

You don't get it i said this before they even started the game as the strategy in order for the tigers to win the series. look at my post before the game on friday 12th.

Quote: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:30 am
Our closer was not on his game he constantly got the ball up in the zone. Also again i was yelling to walk Coco Crisp there was a base open and leland blew that call.

Manocad all you do is criticize people you have nothing to add to baseball why are you here ? (troll ?)

Quote:Oh for Pete's sake...it's TWO GAMES! THAT THEY WON! Talk about a "glass half full" attitude. Good lord.

You are a very negative person has your wife or girlfrriend told you this too?
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#31 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:39 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:
Manocad wrote:

You don't get it i said this before they even started the game as the strategy in order for the tigers to win the series. look at my post before the game on friday 12th.

Quote: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:30 am

Manocad all you do is criticize people you have nothing to add to baseball why are you here ? (troll ?)

Quote:Oh for Pete's sake...it's TWO GAMES! THAT THEY WON! Talk about a "glass half full" attitude. Good lord.
Quote ; in casey fien topic=
Manocad wrote:Yes, in an ADHD sort of way.

Quote: to TSE:quote="Manocad"]You have a greater ability to say so little in more words than any other poster I've ever seen.m not even sure you're actually a Tigers fan, quite frankly.
Another response to TSE: blah blah blah blah Tigers suck blah blah blah blah

Boooooring

You are a negative person has your wife, girl friend or boy friend told you about this problem too ?
I am a positive person and i would have drop you in a minute if i was your friend .
TSE
Banned User

Post#32 » by TSE » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:48 pm

Manocad wrote:

I never said that nobody else didn't have that genius strategy, so not sure why you seem to be arguing as if I stated that it was an exclusive idea to only one person. Kellmellus happened to bring it up and I simply acknowledged it regardless of whether nobody or everybody else also came up with that strategy. Plus a lot of people would have pulled Verlander after the 6-0 lead, that's definitely not unanimous and very debatable. Very clearly not everybody would have picked that strategy, and I doubt that people that live in Pakistan would be as likely to come up with that strategy or to adopt that strategy if they heard it as Americans would. So I would say no in general that the Pakistanis didn't know Verlander would go all 9.
TSE
Banned User

Post#33 » by TSE » Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:51 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:You are a negative person has your wife, girl friend or boy friend told you about this problem too ?
I am a positive person and i would have drop you in a minute if i was your friend .

With anything in life there will always be skeptics and haters, and any time you feel you run into them and they challenge you all you can do is do your best to support your position and not let them discourage you if you feel they are being unreasonable. Manocad's just having a little fun with testing you, but don't let that ruin your day. It's a great day to be alive and we have an awesome day filled with sports, have fun and enjoy yourself!
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#34 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Thanks TSE.......I quit facebook a few weeks ago and i need to get quit and get away from sport fourms for awhile and get a new life, i am in a rut.

I Would Like to Surround myself with some fun loving people go to some parties and see a live band and maybe meet some new people, today's saturday and it's great time to start. Take Care.
TSE
Banned User

Post#35 » by TSE » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:39 pm

kellmellus50 wrote:Thanks TSE.......I quit facebook a few weeks ago and i need to get quit and get away from sport fourms for awhile and get a new life, i am in a rut.

I Would Like to Surround myself with some fun loving people go to some parties and see a live band and maybe meet some new people, today's saturday and it's great time to start. Take Care.

One idea I have is to check with any community centers you have. I live in Warren, and they send out mailers frequently with a tremendous amount of activities that they organize at their community center. No matter what you like whether it's playing cards or dancing or anything, there's people that congregate for stuff like that. Or just working out with a gym membership is good because it can be a good effort towards improving health and that's always a winning choice, plus then you can meet people there or play basketball or racquetball or whatever they have. Or use the internet to find a new career or make money if that's important of course. Personally I like to hit up other internet sites and look for girls to hang out with, but that's just me. I'm single and looking for Mrs. TSE, that's all I'm really missing. I still haven't found somebody I really love that also really loves me, imagine that! I'm 0 for 24,853 so far so I'm in a rut too! ;)
TSE
Banned User

Post#36 » by TSE » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:30 am

Wow I thought for sure he was safe at 2nd on that throw, but I froze it on the 3rd replay and the umpire made the right call. It was super close but you could freeze frame the ball in the glove and just inches of the runner's foot coming short of the bag. Great call by the umpire in a tough one to see!
Ado05
RealGM
And1: 5,942

Post#37 » by Ado05 » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:43 am

The 4 teams left in MLB won consecutive World Series in the 1930s: Yankees (1932), Giants (1933), Cardinals (1934), Tigers (1935).

Same as the last three years.

2009: Yankees
2010: Giants
2011: Cardinals
2012: ????

Tigers are destined to win!
TSE
Banned User

Post#38 » by TSE » Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:50 am

Whoa another great play by Peralta, but that time he was definitely safe, again freeze frame can prove it. What a terrible call by the umpire! This should be 1-0 Yankees and still bases loaded!!! Just another problem with the game of baseball that MLB and Bud Selig can't figure out how to make it fair and get it right. What a travesty. Well at least it happened to the Yankees, haha!
TSE
Banned User

Post#39 » by TSE » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:03 am

Wow Infante with a ridiculously ugly error. He's not a good enough hitter to be allowed ANY latitude on a play like that. How the frak did a loser like that ever get on this team in the first place? Oh that's right, we traded away valuable material in order to acquire him!! WTF?!!? And yes it's okay to scald him for that, with all of the tens of millions of dollars riding on this team then he deserves to be called for any and all mistakes considering he doesn't belong here, and so far I haven't said squat about him and he's due for being called out on his shortcomings as a baseball player.

And to conclude other thoughts from this inning, to hell with A-Rod, what a scumbag piece of garbage. Strikes out with first base open and can't even make a move to force a throw to first base. Oh well i guess the Yankees should give him a few more million to make it worth it to him to put the effort in to trot down for that short jog. This game is disgusting and a battle of the incompetent stupids that pay $150-$200MM for garbage baseball performances.

What a vomitfest! Except for Fister who is doing a really good individual job tonight despite his team support.
TSE
Banned User

Post#40 » by TSE » Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:50 am

Nice insurance runs by the blistering laser shot by DY and Ah-Vee-Sah-Eel-Gar-See-Uh's line single. How nice it would be to win this first one, which effectively gives us at least home field advantage with Verlander pitching 40% of the final 5 games if we don't end up being 2-0.

What's your plan now New York? *crickets chirping*

Return to Detroit Tigers