ImageImageImageImage

Cabrera & Willis to Tigers

pistons773
Senior
And1: 56

Post#21 » by pistons773 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 7:21 am

I can't wait to see this batting line-up in action....murderers. This is going to be a fun season.
ElectricMayhem
RealGM
And1: 11,196

Post#22 » by ElectricMayhem » Wed Dec 5, 2007 8:15 am

We gave up a lot but got a helluva lot in return. If I worked out the math correctly, then:

a lot<a helluva lot.

I think both teams got what they wanted. The Tigers probably had more to offer in the way of young talent than any other team, so the Marlins got what they wanted. Meanwhile, the Tigers had the young talent to spare (You can only play so many players at once), so it was definitely a price worthy of paying.

Dontrelle Willis may not be as dominant as he was in his most productive year(s), but he's always been one of my favorite players to watch. I don't really know anything about Cabrera since I've lived in Japan the past few years and I've only casually followed baseball.

Still, it sounds like a great year to be a Tigers fan. Tigers vs. Red Sox in the ALCS would be epic - especially if they swing the Santana deal.

This team seriously could rival the 1984 Tigers. I just hope Willie Hernandez comes out of retirement.
At the end of the day, it's not about wins and losses. Teamwork, fair play, and good sportsmanship make champions of us all.

Go arbitrary assortment of athletes! Beat the other arbitrary assortment of athletes or my mood will suffer!
Cowology
Forum Mod - Pistons
Forum Mod - Pistons
And1: 3,754

Post#23 » by Cowology » Wed Dec 5, 2007 11:21 am

GenshiYagyu wrote:We gave up a lot but got a helluva lot in return. If I worked out the math correctly, then:

a lot<a helluva lot.
That made me laugh. :D
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#24 » by Flash3 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 2:25 pm

'Gratz on the acquisiton of Cabrera & Willis guys. You all are going to enjoy watching them play, especially Willis and the way he plays the game; the way it was meant to be played.

'Tis just sad that a team that has one of the best GMs in the league in Larry Beinfest can acquire talent and groom those players into something, but after a while $ becomes an issue, and ownership wants to move those players for prospects, and the whole routine starts over again. Ugh! :-?

Anyhow, can you guys give us some insight on the players the Marlins are getting in return?
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
2poor
RealGM
And1: 0
Location: I'm from the city in the midwest best city in the whole wide wide world

Post#25 » by 2poor » Wed Dec 5, 2007 2:43 pm

Suffice to say, I will be attending a few more Tigers games next year.

I'd worry about Willis a little bit though, despite his age he certainly has some mileage on that arm, and you always have to hold your breath whenever guys with herky jerky deliveries step on the mound.

Need to get Cabrera motivated to get (and stay) in shape too.

Marlins certainly didn't get fleeced, I can't think of a better deal they would have gotten from anyone else for these two.
Flash3
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 403

Post#26 » by Flash3 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 2:59 pm

Need to get Cabrera motivated to get (and stay) in shape too.

He's in a training program at the moment, and from what's being reported is that he's definitely on his way to trimming his gut, and should be in great shape come the season.......
Mars wrote:You can't stop the asterisk... you can only hope to contain it.
Low-Ki
Head Coach
And1: 2

Post#27 » by Low-Ki » Wed Dec 5, 2007 5:27 pm

My feeling on this trade is completely dependant on if we can extend Miguel Cabrera past the '09 season. If Miguel is only here as a two year rental, this this trade will be a disaster of epic proportions. If we can extend him to a long term deal then this was a brilliant trade.

I love Cameron Maybin's potential and wish he could have been a Tiger lifer and hope we can re-acquire him sometime down the road. The kid is a special talent and would have been a special player in Detroit. That being said, Miguel Cabrera at 24 years old has put up better offensive numbers than Alex Rodriguez did at the same age. Think about that for a minute. Miguel Carbera is a special major league baseball talent, as glowingly as I speak about Maybin he is still just a prospect and the old saying goes potential and a dollar will buy you a cop of coffee.

Cabrera is only scratching the surface of what he could become. I think Detroit is the perfect place for him to maximize his potential. He's coming to a veteran team with smart hard working baseball players. IN Florida he was surrounded by kids and I think it hurt his attitude or at least stunted his growth as a person and as a player. Not only do we have a veteran team, but we have veteran Latin players - Pudge, Maggs, Guillen, Polanco, Renteria, and Rodney (with Maggs, Guillen and Bazardo being fellow Venezuelans, Carlos from his hometown).

I am hoping the Tigs professionalism rubs off on Cabrera and he starts putting in the necessary work to become all that he can be. There is news that he has already begun to work on getting into better shape this off-season with some reports saying he has dropped 15 lbs. If the kid gets himself in shape, maybe works out with Guillen this off-season and then latches on with Sheffield during the season he could really explode.

Furthermore look at the players he had around him in Florida. Outside of Hanley Ramirez he was surrounded by talented kids, but ones that have yet to establish themselves - Willingham, Jacobs, Heremida, Uggla. There was no protection for Cabrera and pitchers could peck away at him with garbage knowing that walking him is not a terrible outcome knowingwhat was batting behind him or if nobody was on base in front of him.

Now plug him into Detroits batitng line-up. You have two of Granderson, Renteria or Polanco setting the table in front of him and will have Sheffield, Ordonez, Guillen around or behind him. I don't think there is a pitcher in baseball who will want to pitch around Cabrera to get to Sheffield and then to have the possibility of Ordonez and Guillen on deck and in the hole.

As I touched on earlier - Cabrera has two years of arbitration left before he's a free-agent after the 2009 season. To really put a damper on this factoid is that he is represented by Scott Boras. I believe Boras will strongly advise Cabrera not to extend right now, but rather to wait and become a free agent in two years time at the ripe age of 26. If Cabrera explodes like I think he will, and given that he oucld play corner OF, 3B or 1B in the majors you would have to believe every big market team would be ready and waiting to make a bid for his services. Matsui and Giambi would be off the books in New York (if it even matters), would there be a more perfect replacement for ManRam in Boston's LF? the Cubbies, Dodgers, Angles, Mets would all come knocking on his door. I mean if he hit the open market in two years time, we could be looking at another Alex Rodriguez in his prime hitting the market - the A-Rod that signed for $250M in Texas. And with the market change, we could be looking at a 10 yr $300M contract.

Now not all is lost as I asume Dombrowski has looked into Miggy's asking price and whether he's looking to extend before making the deal. Furthermore we'll have a lot of money coming off the books in two years time ourselves as Sheffield and Renteria's contracts will expire that year, we'll hopefully get out from under Inges deal this off-season now, Pudge will come off after this season or re-sign at a largely reduced rate. Polanco's contract will be over and Maggs will be close to finishing. Ilitch has shown in the past that he is willing to spend money and we have a solid recent track record of keeping players once they're here (even if they wouldn't have originally considered us as a free agent destination).

I touched on D-Train in the D-Train specific thread - http://www.realgm.com/boards/baseball/v ... php?t=4287
Rip Hamilton is a stain on the Pistons franchise.
OAKTREE NYK1
Bench Warmer
Location: Sunny Fort Liquordale,FL Originally from the Bronx,NY

Post#28 » by OAKTREE NYK1 » Wed Dec 5, 2007 6:58 pm

I will have a keen interest in watching the Tigers this year now that two of my favorite players are now on your team. Miguel Cabrera is a beast of a hitter and will probably hit 50 homers in the AL and bat .300 plus. Willis is a gamer and with that lineup should have no problem getting 15 wins a year. Great deal for both clubs as I hear this Maybin kid is the real deal and CF was a huge hole for the Marlins. Good Luck in Tiger land!
"I cant help the poor if I'am one of them, so I got rich and gave back to me that's the win win" Jay-Z
LanierFan
Pro Prospect

Post#29 » by LanierFan » Wed Dec 5, 2007 10:12 pm

ajaX82 wrote:And the New Rotation:

Verlander
Willis
Bonderman
Rogers
Robertson

A lefty majority in a park that penalizes right-handed power ... just in case we needed another rationale.
Muzzleshot
Rookie
And1: 2

Post#30 » by Muzzleshot » Thu Dec 6, 2007 2:14 pm

My guess is that the Tigers don't make this trade is they didn't get some assurances from Cabrera/his agent that he's be open to signing a long term contract with Detroit. Ilitch has certainly shown a willingness to sign players to some big contracts.

If the Tigers don't sign these guys and especially if they don't win the WS they look foolish is reference to this trade. I would expect Cabrera to be a Tiger long term and possibly Willis if he can pitch well.
Vinnie's Microwave
Senior

Post#31 » by Vinnie's Microwave » Thu Dec 6, 2007 3:40 pm

Muzzleshot wrote:My guess is that the Tigers don't make this trade is they didn't get some assurances from Cabrera/his agent that he's be open to signing a long term contract with Detroit. Ilitch has certainly shown a willingness to sign players to some big contracts.

If the Tigers don't sign these guys and especially if they don't win the WS they look foolish is reference to this trade. I would expect Cabrera to be a Tiger long term and possibly Willis if he can pitch well.

My concern is our pitching. We led the league in runs last year with our lineup. We do not need more runs. Our bullpen needs help. I do understand that by signing Willis we push Minor and Durbin to the bullpen full-time, thus helping our pitching. Their roles will change. Our issue last year was that we were forced to pitch certain pitchers in roles that they should not have been in - because of injuries. Bottom line - Inge is a luxury. Trade him for middle relief help or a backup catcher (if Wilson is not available this year).
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#32 » by chrbal » Thu Dec 6, 2007 5:17 pm

Low-Ki wrote:My feeling on this trade is completely dependant on if we can extend Miguel Cabrera past the '09 season. If Miguel is only here as a two year rental, this this trade will be a disaster of epic proportions. If we can extend him to a long term deal then this was a brilliant trade.

Believe me, I have had a hard accepting this too...but these are not the old Tigers. This is a new version that seems destined to enter a terrain that was previouslly ran by the Mets, Yankees, and Red Sox.

I have all the confidence in the world that this team will spend the money to keep Miguel and probably Dontrelle.

Return to Detroit Tigers