ImageImageImageImage

Trade for Michael Young!

RustInPeace
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Trade for Michael Young! 

Post#1 » by RustInPeace » Sun Feb 6, 2011 6:07 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Young is a perfect fit for us? He's the type of hitter we need. Clutch, great contact and very consistent. Yeah he's old but he'd be our option at 3B/SS for the next few years, hands down. Just imagine a 1-2 punch of Jackson and Young with the Venezuelan all-stars knocking them in.

Of course, we're probably not trading for another 3B since we're "satisfied" or maybe even "more than happy" at that position with Inge. That mindset disgusts me so much it makes me want to dropkick babies.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Re: Trade for Michael Young! 

Post#2 » by TSE » Sun Feb 6, 2011 7:25 pm

Doesn't this guy like make twice as much as Guerrero yet still not as good of a hitter as him? He's a weak value and not good enough of a hitter for being 34 years old. We need a stud hitter that has time left and not a giant salary, and Young is looking suspect in all 3 of those categories. If we could swap out Inge for him and not have to give up material and only some extra cash, then I would say that would be a great deal as spending an extra few million to protect our already overly large and illogically managed budget could actually work well in our favor for this season.
cochiseuofm
Veteran
And1: 609

Post#3 » by cochiseuofm » Mon Feb 7, 2011 8:49 pm

I'm with TSE on this one
Shooter1
Pro Prospect
And1: 67

Post#4 » by Shooter1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:46 pm

Only way I would trade for Young is if Texas takes Guillen. This way we eat 2 years and not 3 years of Youngs salary.

Young for Guillen and one of the three other 2b we have I would do.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#5 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:45 am

Another rumor has been put to rest. General manager Dave Dombrowski told Fox Sports' Jon Paul Morosi that the Tigers are "set" at second base -- officially squashing any rumors of a trade involving Detroit and Texas infielder Michael Young. "We are set with whom we have," Dombrowski told Morosi.

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/ ... 62422.html
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#6 » by TSE » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:10 am

Well we would still be better off with Young at SS than Peralta (or Inge at 3B) so not sure why the article only talks about 2B? I would be willing to concede that Peralta is a small upgrade defensively, primarily due to the age difference, but I doubt the difference would be enough to make up for the difference that Young would provide on the offensive side. It's definitely not much upgrade though to pay a giant amount of millions, but nevertheless the upgrade is there. If Texas lowered Young to Peralta's salary, then what trade of Peralta plus what would get us Young? That's what Texas is going to have to do because they made this mess by promising these crazy amounts of money to a good player, but an overrated player that is not nearly worth the ridiculous contract they fed him. So there's no need to worry about them eating those dollars, they already have figured out that is unavoidable anyhow.

As far as Michael Young is concerned, he is the benefactor of a massive overpayment, and he's going to gripe about making a lot more than he's worth to do less work? That's lame, he should just keep his mouth shut, but sometimes the prize of vengeance is too valuable to a man, and sometimes those are the kind of men you don't need to be doing business with anyways.

Return to Detroit Tigers