ImageImageImageImage

Don Kelly is an atrocious baseball player

RustInPeace
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Don Kelly is an atrocious baseball player 

Post#1 » by RustInPeace » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:07 am

Seriously, What the **** is up with this hack batting 2nd regularly? I have never seen a more unwarranted mancrush between Leyland and a scrub ever. He easily beats the likes of Zach Miner, Brad Thomas, Raburn, etc. in that regard, which is saying a lot. At 2 you want a guy that can get on base for the big guys, not someone who has a .296 OBP, .623 OPS and 76 OPS+. But no, we decide to play him because... I have no clue. His 'hustle'? scrappiness? what a joke. There is NO legitimate reason for him to be played regularly, if at all. Send this scrub back to Toledo, please.

He's so bad I almost want Inge to come back. I'm probably being a little too harsh on him, and I've heard he's a nice guy (but so is Inge, and **** him), but please, please please stop batting him so high in the order. I'm just agitated that we've got 2 all-star caliber players batting 7th and 8th but we let ourselves get an automatic out at 2nd. We're lucky that our offense has been able to string together runs with such a backwards lineup.

Leyland doesn't want to mess with our lineup because 'they've been great where they're at'. Bull****. Good hitters will hit. Where he bats in the lineup should have minimal affect on his production. We should be maximizing their production by putting them in the best situation. I just wish Leyland would use some common sense for once.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Re: Don Kelly is an atrocious baseball player 

Post#2 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:32 am

He's better than Raburn. At least Don plays defense....watching Raburn bumble around in Left is horrifying. Trust me, i'm hardly in love with Donny but he serves his role as a utility-man decently...Leyland is just too stupid to not bat him second. Its baffling, I know, but thats Leyland for you.

Truthfully I wouldn't care if we cut him tomorrow, but he needs to go back to being on the bench and coming in as a defensive replacement in the 8th/9th immediately.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#3 » by kellmellus50 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:19 am

RustInPeace wrote:Seriously, What the **** is up with this hack batting 2nd regularly? I have never seen a more unwarranted mancrush between Leyland and a scrub ever. He easily beats the likes of Zach Miner, Brad Thomas, Raburn, etc. in that regard, which is saying a lot. At 2 you want a guy that can get on base for the big guys, not someone who has a .296 OBP, .623 OPS and 76 OPS+. But no, we decide to play him because... I have no clue. His 'hustle'? scrappiness? what a joke. There is NO legitimate reason for him to be played regularly, if at all. Send this scrub back to Toledo, please.

He's so bad I almost want Inge to come back. I'm probably being a little too harsh on him, and I've heard he's a nice guy (but so is Inge, and **** him), but please, please please stop batting him so high in the order. I'm just agitated that we've got 2 all-star caliber players batting 7th and 8th but we let ourselves get an automatic out at 2nd. We're lucky that our offense has been able to string together runs with such a backwards lineup.

Leyland doesn't want to mess with our lineup because 'they've been great where they're at'. Bull****. Good hitters will hit. Where he bats in the lineup should have minimal affect on his production. We should be maximizing their production by putting them in the best situation. I just wish Leyland would use some common sense for once.

Leland does so many things bad another example he stays with pitchers too long we had a 3-0 lead with perry struggling and he always leaves the pitcher in till we lose the lead 3-4 then he take him out when it's too late happens all the time. time to Fire Leland but the tigers never will.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#4 » by TSE » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:47 pm

ajaX82 wrote:He's better than Raburn. At least Don plays defense....watching Raburn bumble around in Left is horrifying. Trust me, i'm hardly in love with Donny but he serves his role as a utility-man decently...Leyland is just too stupid to not bat him second. Its baffling, I know, but thats Leyland for you.

Truthfully I wouldn't care if we cut him tomorrow, but he needs to go back to being on the bench and coming in as a defensive replacement in the 8th/9th immediately.

Well he's not better than Raburn. Kelly is career .240 BA and .340 SLG whereas Raburn is about .260 BA and .440 SLG. Plus Raburn had and has potential to be a breakout player a lot moreso than Kelly with also a bigger upside upon such a conversion. The fact that every day that passes makes it more likely that Raburn doesn't escalate is not encouraging, but all this time he did possess that potential advantage over Kelly in addition to outproducing him.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#5 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:57 pm

TSE wrote:
ajaX82 wrote:He's better than Raburn. At least Don plays defense....watching Raburn bumble around in Left is horrifying. Trust me, i'm hardly in love with Donny but he serves his role as a utility-man decently...Leyland is just too stupid to not bat him second. Its baffling, I know, but thats Leyland for you.

Well he's not better than Raburn. Kelly is career .240 BA and .340 SLG whereas Raburn is about .260 BA and .440 SLG. Plus Raburn had and has potential to be a breakout player a lot moreso than Kelly with also a bigger upside upon such a conversion. The fact that every day that passes makes it more likely that Raburn doesn't escalate is not encouraging, but all this time he did possess that potential advantage over Kelly in addition to outproducing him.

Have you seen Raburn play this year? Or his numbers? They suck. They're both awful at the plate, but, again, Don plays good defense, whereas Raburn I believe leads the team in Errors.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ajaX82 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:14 pm

First Inning via the box score:

M. Brantley tripled to right, M. Brantley scored on second baseman R. Raburn's fielding error

:x
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#7 » by kellmellus50 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 12:31 pm

Quote:"(Third-base coach) Gene (Lamont) would probably say that with no outs, he'd like that one back," Leyland said. "To me, though, he's the best third-base coach in the league."

Are you kidding me!!!! another blown call and leland calls him the best in league OMG!!!!

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110618/SPO ... 01/Pitcher’s-bat--plays-at-plate-knock-Tigers-to-second-place#ixzz1PiytPJ9O
TSE
Banned User

Post#8 » by TSE » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Yeah cause they enjoy their time in the steam room together, Jim, Lamont, and Don Kelly make up a trio with a special "manly" bond.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#9 » by kellmellus50 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Here's an artical that makes sence.

Tigers obsessed with hope that Ryan Raburn is their man

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110628/OPI ... z1QbA0rGJH
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#10 » by kellmellus50 » Thu Jul 7, 2011 10:38 am

Unfortunately, Kelly's hitting has always been a problem, maybe the thing that keeps him from being considered a major league regular. After going 0-for-3 on Tuesday night, he's hitless in his last five games, batting 0-for-14. That's dropped his average from a season-high .266 back down to .239.

http://www.mlive.com/tigers/index.ssf/2 ... igers.html
TSE
Banned User

Post#11 » by TSE » Thu Jul 7, 2011 5:53 pm

Versatile to me doesn't count unless you are good in the many things you can do, and Kelly is an unqualified hitter no matter what position he plays, therefore the value that his "versatility" supposedly brings is actually worth precisely ZERO dollars and ZERO cents. It's completely irrelevant since he can't justify a roster spot at whatever would be his best position.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#12 » by kellmellus50 » Fri Jul 8, 2011 3:33 am

No team in 110 years has produced such a wide gap between its good hitters and its bad.

Or, more specifically:

Miguel Cabrera, Victor Martinez, Jhonny Peralta and Brennan Boesch have together combined for a .925 OPS (on-base plus slugging percentage, which is the best measurement of run-production).

On the other end, Magglio Ordonez, Brandon Inge, Ryan Raburn and Ramon Santiago have had an OPS of .603, at least by last weekend's measure.

The .322 points between those poles exceeds any other team's divide spanning more than a century of big-league baseball.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110707/OPI ... z1RTtoabtq
TSE
Banned User

Post#13 » by TSE » Fri Jul 8, 2011 4:34 pm

Yeah and when you have so many unqualified hitters, that inefficiency spills over to create a disruption to prevent you from realizing all of the value of those great hitters. It's like If you just barely had enough money to buy yourself a brand new million dollar house and Lamborghini, but then you left yourself with no money left over to pay for gas to heat the home or make the car run. At least you have a nice house and nice car though! Just can't use them to their full intended value if you don't want to support them in a qualified and appropriate way.

Nice homer by Don Kelly last night too, that's 4 on the year! He needs to hit a couple more though to quiet me back down.
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#14 » by kellmellus50 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:58 am

Tigers' midseason grades detroit free press
Don Kelly

The team's most versatile player, Kelly has played seven positions, including two -- pitcher and catcher -- he hadn't played in the bigs.

Ryan Raburn

He was given the starting leftfield spot out of spring training and failed to capitalize on it. His batting numbers are staggering: .216 average and 83 strikeouts in 255 at-bats.

Brandon Inge

He is posting some of the worst numbers (.186, 1 HR, 17 RBIs) of any everyday starting player in the majors. His defense isn't as good as it once was, either.

http://www.freep.com/article/20110710/S ... son-grades
TSE
Banned User

Post#15 » by TSE » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:58 pm

Inge is clearly the one that hurts the most. For YEARS we have stood idle and done NOTHING to solve our massive problem at 3B. And drafting Castellanos doesn't count, we should have drafted him to be the backup to our present superstar, OF WHICH WE DON'T HAVE ONE!! It's sickening.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#16 » by ajaX82 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:30 pm

TSE wrote:Inge is clearly the one that hurts the most. For YEARS we have stood idle and done NOTHING to solve our massive problem at 3B. And drafting Castellanos doesn't count, we should have drafted him to be the backup to our present superstar, OF WHICH WE DON'T HAVE ONE!! It's sickening.

I will agree that Inge right now is a major liability. His numbers are terrible. Raburn's as well are awful and his defense is some of the worst in the league I would argue.

We obviously need to upgrade somewhere in the infield, whether it be at 2b, SS (Peralta to third) or 3b. But we do need somebody
BritneysBestBet
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#17 » by BritneysBestBet » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Thats right! Don Kelly does suck!
The Tigers only have like 1 maybe 2 good players. Verlander aside there pitching is sub par.
Lineup is dece, Miggy is a stud but thats about it!
TSE
Banned User

Post#18 » by TSE » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:24 pm

BritneysBestBet wrote:Thats right! Don Kelly does suck!
The Tigers only have like 1 maybe 2 good players. Verlander aside there pitching is sub par.
Lineup is dece, Miggy is a stud but thats about it!

Yeah no kidding, and now our franchise's positional value has come up short such that the contract to VMart is going to turn out to be a big bust since we won't likely be capitalizing with WS wins by having added him. Such a shame to blow all this money to come up just short of a qualified conversion % of success off of those investments. This team is such an embarrassment. We are even far more embarrassing than the Pistons, not in win total output obviously, but in mngmt logic, and I think some of you guys know how I feel about them. We should have at least 10 more wins by now and could have done it with even less money than what we shell out. You would have to pay me over $40M a year in order to appropriately compensate me for how much I could have saved and made for this team. And believe me, I have done the math, this is actually true and not an exaggeration. lol
kellmellus50
Starter

Post#19 » by kellmellus50 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 12:16 pm

The Tigers will recall Carlos Guillen from the disabled list in time for their game Saturday night against the Chicago White Sox.

He went 1-for-3 for Toledo, got hit on his left knee with a throw (but wasn't hurt), was ejected from the Mud Hens' game — but more important than any of that, he was activated by the Tigers from the 60-day disabled list.

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110716/SPO ... z1SGnzLATo
TSE
Banned User

Post#20 » by TSE » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:31 pm

That's good news cause Guillen certainly makes us better; considering that we have absolutely no choice but to assume he's good, cause we are automatically void of having enough eligible professional players, thus we have nothing to lose at this point, hopefully he can get his bat in gear.

Return to Detroit Tigers