ImageImageImageImage

Offseason Stuff

Bartender
Sixth Man
And1: 3

Re: Offseason Stuff 

Post#21 » by Bartender » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:55 am

Wooooow, this Cabrera news is absolutely ridiculous!! How is this fuucker saving money by getting rid of our only good players?! We trade them, start losing, and fans don't come to the games.
TSE wrote:Wow I actually like this trade, good job Mayhew!
m23uza1hem36
Starter
And1: 1

Post#22 » by m23uza1hem36 » Wed Dec 2, 2009 9:33 pm

**** you Dave for even having Miguel Cabrera on the "trading block", **** you again for wanting to trade Curtis Granderson, and another **** you for not attempting to keep Edwin Jackson in Detroit, 'nd just **** you magglio.
Follow @mouzaihem
Liqourish
RealGM
And1: 2,245

Post#23 » by Liqourish » Thu Dec 3, 2009 6:25 pm

Dave let Polanco walk for nothing and he signed a 3yr deal with the Phillies. Sonofa....

Piston Pete, Dombrowski wants to start Scott Sizemore at 2B. Tigers aren't even looking for a free agent 2B when they can call up a minor leaguer who's currrently injured.

If DD's plan is to give away our assets to hold on to the high-paid old guys, the Tigers are going to drop attendance fast.
Bartender
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by Bartender » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:29 pm

Bye bye Central Division race.
Bartender
Sixth Man

Post#25 » by Bartender » Thu Dec 3, 2009 7:46 pm

What does Philly plan on doing with Chase Utley? He's their best player. That signing don't make any sense to me.
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#26 » by HeroicKennedy » Thu Dec 3, 2009 10:03 pm

Polanco will play third base.

Honestly, while I blame Dombrowski for putting us in this mess, we really don't have a choice in the matter. No one wants our overpaid, older players. No one is going to trade for them. And you know that Dombrowski has to find ways to cut salary somehow, because he can't afford to be one of the highest paid teams in the league in the worst economy in America.
RustInPeace
Sixth Man

Post#27 » by RustInPeace » Thu Dec 3, 2009 10:06 pm

^Polanco's gonna play 3rd base from what I've heard

And this news makes me rage hard. Didn't we get Sheffield's 13 million contract off the books? We'd still be saving around 10 million if we had offered Polanco the same amount. I'd rather we just package most of our better SP prospects (Even Casey Crosby) hoping that someone will at least want Robertson or Willis or Bonderman.

Admittedly I have seen nothing of Sizemore, but I really think that Dave's overvaluing him. He has yet to play much games and I really don't think he should start. Our prospects are mediocre, simple as that.
Bartender
Sixth Man

Post#28 » by Bartender » Thu Dec 3, 2009 11:55 pm

Polanco at 3rd. Hmmmm, idk about that tbh. I don't think he's that athletic to be as good at 3rd as he was at 2nd.
ChronicKerr
Lead Assistant
And1: 59

Post#29 » by ChronicKerr » Fri Dec 4, 2009 12:27 am

Allowing Magglio to reach that # of AB's he needed to earn that big check this year is now wreaking havoc.
Bartender
Sixth Man

Post#30 » by Bartender » Fri Dec 4, 2009 2:27 am

Duhh?
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#31 » by Liqourish » Sat Dec 5, 2009 4:18 pm

Tigers are backing off from putting Cabby on the trade block. Now hopefully they back off from Grandy/Edwin and start trying to IMPROVE the team.
Bartender
Sixth Man

Post#32 » by Bartender » Tue Dec 8, 2009 5:12 pm

Looks like we're getting rid of Granderson and Edwin for a bunch of crap pitchers and a crap outfielder.

My day is ruined.
Liqourish
RealGM

Post#33 » by Liqourish » Tue Dec 8, 2009 5:23 pm

Yankees pulled out, thank god.

The 3-team trade would have been:
Curtis Granderson to Yankees for pitchers Phil Coke and Michael Dunn
Edwin Jackson to Diamondbacks for RHP Max Scherzer and CF Austin Jackson

Lots of teams still interested in both players (because they are very good and teams don't trade away very good players for crap, but the Tigers are special I guess).

Some Tigers news...

--We traded Clay Rapada to the Texas Rangers for a player to be named or cash.
--We re-signed Adam Everett which most of us saw coming. He's very good defensively and he and Santiago make one helluva SS combo. Plus he was cheap.
--We signed free agent LHP Brad Thomas. He played for the Twins for parts of 3 seasons and spent the past two years in Korea. I haven't seen him play alot so I don't have a good grasp on him.
--Fernando Rodney and Brandon Lyon declined arbitration at the last minute.
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#34 » by chrbal » Tue Dec 8, 2009 6:40 pm

Did you see the one where Ivan Rodriguez signed with the Nationals? http://baseball.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ ... with_nats/

"Rodriguez, 38, will serve as a backup and mentor to Jesus Flores."
HeroicKennedy
General Manager
And1: 134

Post#35 » by HeroicKennedy » Tue Dec 8, 2009 6:59 pm

http://www.faketeams.com/2009/12/8/1191494/mlb-trade-rumors-curtis-granderson

Apparently it's back on, and a lot of people believe Detroit makes out the best on this deal.
TSE
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#36 » by TSE » Tue Dec 8, 2009 8:07 pm

This is a mega-steal by the Yankees at the expense of both the Tigers and the Diamondbacks. It's not everyday you can gain a margin from 2 teams via one single trade. Kudos to their mngmt team for using their heads to take advantage of the situation.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 7,047

Post#37 » by tmorgan » Wed Dec 9, 2009 3:43 am

This is a decent deal for the Tigers, assuming they absolutely had to cut some payroll. I'll really miss Grandy, though. Arizona got reamed. The Yanks did very well, and I'd expect Curtis to sparkle next year in a better lineup and friendlier park.

Scherzer is going to be a very good pitcher, and we can afford him for four more years, unlike Edwin Jackson.

The Jackson (Austin, AKA AJax) we're getting is overrated as a prospect, but he does have an upside similar to Curtis if we get lucky. Bare minimum, he's a good glove and fast and hits for a decent average. The power is the question.

The relievers are OK... the Schereth (sp?) guy is potentially very good, Coke is solid.

It's not a bad haul, assuming we were forced into doing this. The bad news is, we're going to struggle next year on offense, probably badly. The good news is, after next season, our payroll mess, except for Dontrelle, is over.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#38 » by ajaX82 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:39 am

word is that a Guillen for Juan Pierre swap is being discussed

I would be pleased with that. We could really use the speed on the bags. And Guillen blows

http://blog.mlive.com/cutoffman/2009/12 ... _thir.html
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#39 » by chrbal » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:54 pm

I think everyone, Guillen included, would be happy with that.
2009 rule 5 draft happened. Tigers did nothing, gain or lose a guy. After the Granderson/Jackson rebuild trade, I figured the the Rule 5 would be the next major move.

Former Tigers Mike Hessman (i've never seen someone in their 30s look so old) and Chris Shelton (remember that month when he was good) signed minor league contracts with NL teams.

Eulogio De La Cruz got waived by the Padres, who seem to bring in every pitcher they can.
ajaX82
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 85

Post#40 » by ajaX82 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:55 pm

and than the White Sux got Pierre......bah!

Return to Detroit Tigers