ImageImageImage

Free agent Moves for the Astros

wadero
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Free agent Moves for the Astros 

Post#1 » by wadero » Thu Oct 23, 2008 5:55 pm

I am new to the forum so bear with me. I thought we should post what Free agent moves we would like to see the Astros make and place them here. The only rule is that it be attainable. I will start it off. I would like to see the Astros go after the following pitchers all are free agents Mark Prior, and Perez from the mets, the second move would be to sign Baldelli away from The Rays, I would also hope the Rangers buy out Hank Blalock and make him a free agent he would be a good fit for the Astros and finally I would try to trade for kelly Shoppach to resolve our catcher postion. Here is my 09 starters for the Astros
c Shoppach
1st Berkman
2 matsui
ss Tejada
3 Blalock
of Pence
Of Lee
Of Baldelli
SP Oswalt, Wolf, Prior, Perez, and Wandy
The Bull pen and closer stays the same.
Listen to the lunatic inside you
"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."
-- Robin Williams (1952- ), American actor and comedian
A.J.
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Free agent Moves for the Astros 

Post#2 » by A.J. » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:44 pm

Yeah this is a great idea. We should use this thread for free-agent moves.

Im not sold on getting Shoppach. I think we should go after Josh Bard or if not just let Quintero be the starter until Castro comes up in 3 to 4 years.

We should resign Wigginton, he had a great year last season and he deserves a better contract. I think our main focus is to get at least 1 starting pitcher and resign Wolf. And it wont hurt to sign a bullpen arm. Prior is injury prone, so I wouldnt touch him.
wadero
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#3 » by wadero » Thu Oct 30, 2008 7:35 pm

Pryor would be a low risk high reward guy. My cousin lives next door to him in San Seigo and he said he is finally healthy.
Listen to the lunatic inside you

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it."

-- Robin Williams (1952- ), American actor and comedian
RaoulDuke79
RealGM
And1: 4,189

Post#4 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 11:48 pm

Trade for Peavy, sign Lowe, re-sign Wolf, bing bam world series champs.
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
A.J.
Banned User

Post#5 » by A.J. » Sun Nov 9, 2008 2:33 pm

RaoulDuke79 wrote:Trade for Peavy, sign Lowe, re-sign Wolf, bing bam world series champs.

I dont think we can go after Peavy. We dont have the prospect to even think about trading for him. If the Cubs do not get Peavy that would make my offseason. :wink:

BTW, We resigned Latroy Hawkins to a one year deal. Great move for us, he played well for us when we aquired him from the Yankees. And also we signed a Taiwanese closer, Chia-Jen Lo. He is 22 years old and he features a 96 MPG fast ball with a curve, slider, and split-finger. He is at least 3 years away from being in our bullpen.
Baller 24
RealGM
And1: 18

Post#6 » by Baller 24 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:01 pm

We need pitching!
dockingsched wrote: the biggest loss of the off-season for the lakers was earl clark
Vator
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 579

Post#7 » by Vator » Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:29 pm

Baller 24 wrote:We need pitching!

Understatement! :wink:
A.J.
Banned User

Post#8 » by A.J. » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:09 pm

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/pres ... p&c_id=hou

[quote][/quote]HOUSTON -- The Houston Astros announced today that the club has purchased the contracts of outfielder Brian Bogusevic and infielders Tommy Manzella and Drew Sutton, adding the players to the club's 40-man roster. The announcement was made by General Manager Ed Wade.

I like this move. I think Bogusevic, and I think he can be our version of Rick Ankiel on the Cardinals.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#9 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:50 am

It seems the only real pitching we're going after is re-signing Wolf(which I like because he pitched well for us) but...any bigger names are pretty much out of the question since they're looking to dump salary not increase it. So, apparently Valverde and Wigginton are on the trading block and really anyone not named Berkman or Oswalt(or Lee because of his contract and Tejada, most likely nobody wants them) are up for grabs.

I really wanted us to not only re-sign Wolf but go after Lowe and maybe Burnett since I know Peavy and C.C are probably impossible. Hopefully we can still be competitive next season regardless. We were actually much better than most people expected(especially the last few months) and if we bring back the same team and maybe add a quality arm or 2, who knows...

As long as they continue to rebuild that farm system so in a few years we're loaded with legitimate young talent then I guess I'm happy. If we can compete for a WC in the meantime, and set ourselves up to make some big trades or have a loaded young team(kinda like the Rays) then that's all I can ask for....

...OTHER THAN A DAMNED WORLD SERIES VICTORY IMMEDIATELY!
We watched the tragedy unfold. We did as we were told, we bought and sold. It was the greatest show on Earth...but then it was over.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#10 » by TMU » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:42 pm

Please sign Ollie Perez... :pray:
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#11 » by TMU » Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:21 am

So what are the Astros planning to do this off-season? Are they gonna get anyone off the FA pool?
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#12 » by RaoulDuke79 » Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:09 am

T-Mac United wrote:So what are the Astros planning to do this off-season? Are they gonna get anyone off the FA pool?

We signed Mike Hampton and decided not to offer Ty a contract. We're going to win 100 games now my friend.

For some reason Drayton is concerned about cutting salary instead of adding to an 86 win team and trying to compete. Don't be shocked if Valverde is traded sometime before next season.

EDIT: "So even if the Astros didn't make any announcements this week, expect a few to arrive, perhaps sooner than later. The Astros need a backup infielder, a fifth outfielder and they still need to shave some money off the payroll, perhaps by trading Ty Wigginton or Miguel Tejada, or, in a less likely scenario, Jose Valverde."

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/arti ... p&c_id=hou
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#13 » by TMU » Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:07 am

RaoulDuke79 wrote:
T-Mac United wrote:So what are the Astros planning to do this off-season? Are they gonna get anyone off the FA pool?

We signed Mike Hampton and decided not to offer Ty a contract. We're going to win 100 games now my friend.

For some reason Drayton is concerned about cutting salary instead of adding to an 86 win team and trying to compete. Don't be shocked if Valverde is traded sometime before next season.

EDIT: "So even if the Astros didn't make any announcements this week, expect a few to arrive, perhaps sooner than later. The Astros need a backup infielder, a fifth outfielder and they still need to shave some money off the payroll, perhaps by trading Ty Wigginton or Miguel Tejada, or, in a less likely scenario, Jose Valverde."

That makes no sense what so ever. Considering how inconsistent some of the hitters were (eh hem... Mr. Pence), the Astros had a pretty decent season. They have some good pieces It appears to me that the Astros need a lot of help with pitching (especially in the bullpen), and they are in a dire need for consistent hitters who can run around the bases.

BTW, wanna take a shot at Ollie Perez? :D
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#14 » by RaoulDuke79 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:10 am

Yea I hate our owner. Look at what the Yankees are doing because they're willing to spend spend spend away. It's not like we have a salary cap and it's not like he isn't filthy rich.

Also I think our bullpen is going to be decent, it's the rotation that's thin.

Also no thanks.
Vator
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 579

Post#15 » by Vator » Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:47 pm

Drayton sucks...we almost never have good pitching and hitting at the same time. He likes to rob Peter to pay Paul.
A.J.
Banned User

Post#16 » by A.J. » Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:19 am

HOUSTON -- Astros general manager Ed Wade is "kicking the tires" of players who can share time with Geoff Blum at third base and has plans to reach out to a handful of free agents who may fit the bill.

Among the available free agents on the market are Joe Crede, Chris Gomez, Pablo Ozuna and Morgan Ensberg.

It looks like we will most likely sign one of these free-agents. I would personally prefer Crede, since he has starting experience and he can platoon with Blum. I still think he is a decent player if he can stay healthy. He has a good glove. Ensberg would be a bad signing since he basically sucked in the minors last season, and Gomez and Ozuna are ulility type players who are backups at best.

Or we could always let Chris Johnson win the spot in Spring Training.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#17 » by RaoulDuke79 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:27 am

ROFL AARON BOONE. WATCH OUT NATIONAL LEAGUE, THE ASTROS ARE COMING FOR YOU.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets

Post#18 » by TMU » Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:24 am

You gotta be kidding me. Aaron **** Boone.
I've always liked the Astros but they're starting to lose my respect.
A.J.
Banned User

Post#19 » by A.J. » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:42 pm

Yeah mines too. What the heck. Boone? He was subpar ever since he became an all-star with the Reds years back. I could see if we have gotten Crede. There's Astros management for ya.

Now that we have gotten that out of the way. We almost certain need to find another starting pitcher since Wolf is gone. Getting Mike Hampton could be a decent move if he stays healthy but we need to get someone for the back end of the rotation. An innings eater would be good.
RaoulDuke79
RealGM

Post#20 » by RaoulDuke79 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:55 pm

Screw this team and our owner. Bringing in Hampton is fine, he came cheap and if he is remotely healthy he's still a decent pitcher, but letting Wolf and Wigginton go, 2 of our best players from last season(Wigginton was excellent in the 2nd half, and Wollf pitched very well for us) is terrible.

I wish Drayton would just die already and leave the team to someone who isn't afraid to spend some of that massive amount of cash available. How can you honestly expect to ever really be a legit contender if you're not willing to spend a bit more? It isn't like he can't afford it.

I'm tired of the Aaron Boone's and Shawn Chacon's that we bring in every year expecting to compete. Berkman and Oswalt aren't getting any younger and they deserve to play for a winner.

Sorry, had to vent a bit. It's just (Please Use More Appropriate Word) that we're cutting salary and letting good players go or not willing to spend to bring in quality pitching and still expect to be competitive.

Ugh.

Return to Houston Astros