ImageImageImageImageImage

Official 2014 Offseason Thread

Moderators: Kilroy, TyCobb

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Re: Official 2014 Offseason Thread 

Post#41 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:03 am

oh btw...Howell back at 2/11.5 (are those numbers right?)

Paco
Howell
Withrow
Wilson
Kenley

our pen is about to be nasty.
can we please bring that Dominguez kid back?

him, withrow and Wilson throwing that lava.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#42 » by Neddy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:47 am

Quake Griffin wrote:oh btw...Howell back at 2/11.5 (are those numbers right?)

Paco
Howell
Withrow
Wilson
Kenley

our pen is about to be nasty.
can we please bring that Dominguez kid back?

him, withrow and Wilson throwing that lava.

yes. ridiculous money for a middle reliever, but hey it's not my money and with or without this deal the dodgers are about to charge 8 dollars per month to each subscriber for their own tv station anyhow.

i think our roster is pretty much set now, pending 1 more bench player who is a utility infielder who can backup 3rd on everyday basis in case Uribe becomes Uribe of 2011-12. that person just maybe Michael Young on 1 year deal.

as of now, our roster is looking like

1. L Kershaw
2. R Greinke
3. L Ryu
4. R Haren
5. R Beckett/Billingsley/Fife/Magill/Lee

6. R Jensen
7. R WIlson
8. L Howell
9. R Withrow
10.L Paco
11.R League ------- our weak link
12.R Rosin ---------- rule 5 draft pick that was traded from Mets, I like Dominguez too, but i am 100 % sure we won't let a guy we just traded for go right back to phili, since rule 5 draft pick must stay on the 25 men roster

13. L Crawford LF
14. R Puig RF
15. R Ramirez SS
16. L Gonzalez 1B
17. R Kemp CF-----------or L Ethier, if Kemp can't go
18. R Guerrero 2B
19. R Uribe 3B
20. R Ellis C

21. L Ethier OF
22. R SVS OF/1B
23. L Gordon Utility
24. R Young IF-----------if not, Sellers
25. R Federowitz C

i think this is the roster we are gonna go into the season with, pending that #24's spot of IFer.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#43 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:19 am

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#44 » by Neddy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:13 am

we are about to sign chris perez from cleveland indians. i hate this deal. chris maybe a former allstar when he recorded 1.75 or so of ERA a few years ago, but since then he has been consistently worse than 1.40 WHIP and a home run per every 9 innings last couple of years. that is below league average and worse than bellisario. with this signing, it will also push our bullpen to a complete roster of 7, as of Jensen-WIlson-Howell-Withrow-Paco-League-Perez, which immediately returns Rosin back to Philli, but we still owe a trade commodity to the Mets who traded the rule 5 draft pick....... good going Ned. we sign a below average bullpen pitcher while returning a player we just traded for while still having to give away our asset out even tho we only had Rosin for an uneventful 2 weeks in... December? :noway:
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#45 » by Quake Griffin » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:35 pm

reeks of that "we can fix him" type flow we had with League.

smh.
woulfa rather just brought up Dominguez at that rate.
let him take his lumps early and be ready come post season time.

edit:
this is Ned's move r Stan's move?
Neddy
RealGM

Post#46 » by Neddy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:44 pm

I'll blame Ned and you can blame Stan.

but it just dawned on me that stockpiling up on relievers may indicate a trade coming this way. earlier reports did say David Price only has a handful of teams he is willing to sign an extension for, and Mariners weren't one of them. you have to consider the fact that regardless of the contract size, Clayton Kershaw is determined to go to the free agency, and there is a chance that he may not be coming back in favor of his hometown teams in Texas. having Price here with an extension will ensure that we have some safety net in case Kershaw bolts and Greinke opts out after next season. i do hope they all come back, and if Price is here too, our rotation will be incredible, going Kershaw-Greinke-Price-Ryu for the next half a dozen years.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#47 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:34 pm

you think Kershaw wants FA?

u don't think he'll re-sign with us?
I've never viewed it that way and that just scared the hell out of me.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#48 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:57 am

i think he is open to re-signing with us, but he wants to do it in free agency to see if other teams would offer more. If Kershaw was a loyal dodger already, he would have jumped on the chance to sign on that 10 years, 300 million dollars offer sheet last year. he didn't and still hasn't budged. unless he thinks he is worth 40 million a year for a lifetime contract, i can't imagine what he is waiting for other than to see what the open market has it for him.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#49 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:10 am

So after all that Tanaka is going to be posted.

Kershaw
Greinke
Ryu
Haren/Tanaka
Tanaka/Haren

what in the blue hell do we do with Bills and Beckett?
what can we even get for them in return?

i agree btw on Kershaw. I'm in mad denial. It is weird he didn't take that $300 M deal. At 1st, i thought it was because he didn't want the negotiations in the middle of the season...but they should have reached an extension by now.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#50 » by Neddy » Thu Dec 26, 2013 3:35 am

i think Tanaka can be as good as Nomo, as Tanaka's best pitch is also a forkball, or he could suck as bad as Kei Igawa... his record of 24-0 is impressive, as his sub 1.00 WHIP he posted. but that was against the Japanese competition, and sometimes, a guy who doesn't do as well fits better against a better competition, a la Paul George. Tanaka is essentially a two pitch pitcher. he could potentially be figured out rather quickly without a dominant fastball(his fastball, is around 90 at best, from everything i've read from overseas media outlet) and without a reliable at least average third pitch, he could be a risk. but then again, Nomo used his curve as a waste pitch until he got to Milwaukee and figured it out. and we all know how Nomo was in dodger blue with just two pitches. it is hard to gauge his success here, since his physique also is rather small for a major league pitcher. i wonder how our major league's slicker official baseball would impact Tanaka's forkball/splitter, although that didn't hurt Nomo. Yu Darvish is a tall guy with leverage, and had very good to solid 4 pitches coming over from Japan, but had some control issues he had to work out. Tanaka is a control artist with one dominant pitch, and a below average for a major league fastball. 90 mph may get you to the top of the hill in Japan, but that isn't anything to be proud of here in the states. statistically speaking from same age comparison, Tanaka is way ahead of Yu.
does that mean he is going to be that much better? then we need to throw a 100 million dollars at least at this guy and make it happen. he could be the next national league Cy Young. or, does it mean more like how Aminu and Gordon Hayward performed better in NCAA over Paul George, but now in NBA that George's game fits the faster, more athletic game better?

i really can't predict this one at all.

on the other hand, we can give up prospects to gain a known commodity in David Price. it could be a stupid decision if Tanaka does become dominant, as Price will also command at least 100 million or more, while costing our farm and potentially is a bit less than that Tanaka could be.

I have to trust our international scouting director Bob Engle and vice-president and Director of scouting Logan White to make the right recommendations to whomever is in charge, and that decision making person listens to those recommendations. that's all i can hope for.

now, having said all of this, if Tanaka is as good as he is advertised, he should be our 3rd starter.

Kershaw
Greinke
Tanaka
Ryu
Haren / Beckett / Billingsley.

if Haren has a bad start, give a chance to Beckett. those two can wrestle their way into 5th starter but if both are subpar until Chad is back, then give that seat in the rotation to Chad. we could potentially have 5 ACES. and Beckett and Billingsley will be our insurance for in case of a complete meltdown by Tanaka pulling his best impression of Kei Igawa or Irabu, and an injury to our staff. can't never have too many pitchers....
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#51 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:03 pm

well, thanks Puig for driving 110 MPH in Florida and getting picked up.

I've defended him and his reckless play all season.
but this is not defensible.
time to grow up.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#52 » by Neddy » Fri Jan 3, 2014 9:35 am

happy new year, Quake. only 55 days until the spring training!!!
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#53 » by Neddy » Sat Jan 4, 2014 4:16 am

Dee Gordon is killing it right now in PR. hope he plays well in spring training and make the team, at least as a utility guy if not a starter.

also, Guerrero is doing decently in PR as well.

as i feel we are far more likely to see 2011-2012 Juan Uribe than a 2013 version of Juan, i can see us moving Guerrero to 3rd base and Dee take over at 2B as well as the leadoff role.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#54 » by Quake Griffin » Sat Jan 4, 2014 4:47 am

Neddy wrote:Dee Gordon is killing it right now in PR. hope he plays well in spring training and make the team, at least as a utility guy if not a starter.

as i feel we are far more likely to see 2011-2012 Juan Uribe than a 2013 version of Juan, i can see us moving Guerrero to 3rd base and Dee take over at 2B as well as the leadoff role.

mind posting a link from where you're reading this, I want to see.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#55 » by Neddy » Sat Jan 4, 2014 6:07 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:Dee Gordon is killing it right now in PR. hope he plays well in spring training and make the team, at least as a utility guy if not a starter.

mind posting a link from where you're reading this, I want to see.

after tonight, he is batting .471, albeit a small sample size. he is playing 2B.
http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.js ... bp&cid=688

Guerrero on the other hand, http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp ... pid=648717

:correction: Guerrero is in Dominican league, and is currently resting from his hamstring injury
ehhhhh f it.
HeatNation88
Veteran
And1: 2,109

Post#56 » by HeatNation88 » Wed Jan 8, 2014 11:19 pm

Hopefully we can make it to the WS this year i was shock when we lost. Well 2014 is our year so lets get that title.

Pay Back is a B*tch

"Shine from the Darkness"

Formally known as "MiamiHeatFan6"
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#57 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jan 9, 2014 2:39 am

AJ Ellis will be 33 this year btw.

it's time for us to start grooming a catcher below that can be the everyday catcher.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#58 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Jan 9, 2014 7:52 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5LVc5yj9Q4&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,248

Post#59 » by Kilroy » Thu Jan 9, 2014 7:04 pm

Quake Griffin wrote:AJ Ellis will be 33 this year btw.

it's time for us to start grooming a catcher below that can be the everyday catcher.

Seems like the concept of an 'everyday catcher' is disappearing in the NL. But I agree.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Dodgers Among 3 Finalists for Tanaka 

Post#60 » by Ranma » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:59 am

Mark Townsend, Yahoo! Sports (1/15/14)
…we at least have to acknowledge what Sports Hochi out of Tokyo, Japan published in their Sunday newspaper.

According to Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, who translated the report on Twitter, Masahiro Tanaka has narrowed his list down to three potential suitors: New York Yankees, Los Angeles Dodgers and Los Angeles Angels.

Hernandez says the report adds the Yankees are considered the favorites to sign Tanaka, which wouldn’t be a huge surprise if true, but he also cautions what we’re learning should be taken with a grain of salt.

Yankees, Dodgers and Angels finalists to sign Masahiro Tanaka, according to report from Japan

LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers