Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Re: 2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#462 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:06 am

Is it 126 or 150?

Wth.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Kilroy
Forum Mod - Lakers
Forum Mod - Lakers
And1: 12,248

Post#463 » by Kilroy » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:47 pm

Sounds like an incentive-laden $126M with a shot to get to $150M if he earns the incentives.
Never have rice at Hanzo's house...
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#464 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:32 pm

Good Afternoon Dodger Brehs and Brehettes,

We have a catcher named Yasmani Grandal still on our roster and it’s February. Please explain to me why this is happening.

Sincerely,
QG

“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#465 » by Quake Griffin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:35 pm

I definitely disagree with Kershaw being #1 at this point in his career/health.

I disagree with Grandal being ahead of Barnes (apparently Grandal is #4 and Barnes is #6 but not pictured).

I also chuckled at no Puig in RF top 10.

Salute to Kenley Jansen and Seager. They earned those.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#466 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:03 am

I’ve made it no secret that I don’t want Utley sucking up a roster spot.

The reports from Heyman that we are in serious talks about doing that are annoying to me.

Congrats to Seager.
The 4th season you can learn from Utley. The first 3 weren’t enough to last you for your career.

Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Post#467 » by Neddy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 am

Quake Griffin wrote:Good Afternoon Dodger Brehs and Brehettes,

We have a catcher named Yasmani Grandal still on our roster and it’s February. Please explain to me why this is happening.

Sincerely,
QG

to simplify the answer into a single sentence, it would be;
"the Dodger brass just aren't convinced that Barnes can play well through a full season both offensively and defensively."

to give you the long answer,
1. you remember Barnes having some conflicts with pitch selections with mostly veteran pitchers? If Kershaw had stuck up for Ellis all those years despite his glaring deficiency at the batters box, don't you think it is plausible that at Kershaw's option year coming up, perhaps the Dodger FO is trying to keep Kershaw pleased by keeping a familiar face who is very well established framer/game caller who's got a legit power bat? maybe it's not even the FO willingly accommodating, but Clayton may have verbally expressed to Andrew and Farhan to keep Grandal around.
2. possibly that the FO themselves are not convinced that Barnes can take on the load after seeing Austin's performance evaporate at the WS?
3. Grandal's market maybe small, and possibly damning if he is sent to a rival, who may want him the most. I am certain that the Nationals would love to have him, and other possibilities are the DBacks, Brewers and other potential playoff opponents. it might be wiser to keep the slugging catcher who is often injured and prone to long slumps, to pair him up with a young but unproven Austin to have a very healthy competition and backup plans.
4. maybe it is not Austin Barnes that the FO is not convinced to be a full time starter yet, but there is a distinct possibility that the FO is more convinced of Grandal than Barnes. they maybe close but Grandal's power. Grandal was the 6th best hitting catcher in all baseball among those who had more than 400 ABs last season, and season before among those above 350 ABs, 5th. he was the 7th best catcher in hitting among more than 350 ABs in 2015. he has history and track record, and just getting into his prime years as an athlete. we all know that any small sample sized young player with all star-like stats always ends up underperforming compared to their breakout but part-time rookie season. think about it, Austin hit nearly .900 OPS in his first season with just 200 at bats and he was struggling offensively in the last 12 games of the year. after going .500 in the divisional, he hit well below the Mendoza-line for the NLCS as well as the WS, but Dave kept insisting having Barnes in there, and although he was well hidden in the NLCS as we won it in 5, his hitting was one of the factors that led to the need of even playing the game 7.
oh, and BTW, despite the incredible OPS Barnes sported, he still falls slightly behind Grandal in fWAR. go figure.
5. cliche, I know but competition is a good thing. we are under the penalty so what's the rush?
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Return of the Silver Fox Being Worked On 

Post#468 » by Ranma » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:48 am

Read on Twitter
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Neddy
RealGM

Post#469 » by Neddy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:40 am

to be honest, there are worse players we could have wasted our 25th spot than Utley.

for one I am glad as of now that we have a platoon of Grandal+Barnes rather than Barnes+Farmer. we can still trade Grandal after he gets more at bats in the first half, hopefully he performs well, then a suitor among none-playoff teams make a deal for him.

don't get me wrong, I do believe in Austin, although i also do believe it is no sure thing for Austin to tinker with a sub .900 OPS ever in a full season in the show, he has shown that he can hit at a very high level of efficiency all though the minors including multiple stints of .900 OPS stays. same goes for kyle, but I am not sure if Kyle Farmer can adapt to the major league level as a catcher just yet. he might be. but i knoe Yaz is already considered an elite... and i dont mind.

now here is a food for thought... a typical backup catcher is usually considered the last man off he bench. but what if you have two very capable bats on the bench to your arsenal? say, on a day when Austin gets a start and you get into a situation to need a pinch hitter and you have already wasted a couple of none-catching pinch hitters early in a pair of double switch. you look to your bench and you have Grandal the switch hitter who performs much better as a lefty, and Farmer who is strictly a righty. it is fairly easy to use the better suiting situational pinch hitter and still keep a catcher on the bench.

come to think of it, I don't want Utley back after the conclusion of my own logic.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#470 » by Quake Griffin » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:04 pm

Neddy wrote:....
come to think of it, I don't want Utley back after the conclusion of my own logic.

The ONLY reason to have him back is the feel good, locker room, OMG he’s so beloved angle.

He came here in 2015. 2016. 2017. His influence on Seager and others should have taken its course already. Do we really still need him to show this group how to prepare? Be professional? How to leg out every ground ball?

I literally cannot think of a single day this summer where I will want his bat or defense in the lineup over Forsythe, Taylor, Barnes.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Return of the Silver Fox 

Post#471 » by Ranma » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:52 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter
Quake Griffin
RealGM

2017-18 OFF-SEASON 

Post#472 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:38 am

So Yu Darvish told Dave Roberts that his main goal, going to the Cubs, is to beat the Dodgers???

Alright.
I literally try to take emotion out of every decision and opinion I make here.

Keyword: try.

I did not want to make it personal. Yu choked. Has a history of choking. Yu’s 31/32. He’s looking for big payday. I don’t want him. Not a hard line of reasoning to follow..

But if he’s gonna dig in and try to make it personal because HE failed...**** him.

I hope we have a 21+ ERA against him this year to match his **** World Series ERA.

**** that little see you next tuesday.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#473 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:45 am

Tweet is from Josh Frydman who added that it was probably tongue in cheek.

I will half way calm down.
Half way.

I’m a “there’s a kernel of truth in every joke” kinda guy.

Get this choke artist the FOH.

Cannot wait until we meet in the regular season.

Neddy
RealGM

Re: Return of the Silver Fox 

Post#474 » by Neddy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:46 am

Ranma wrote:
Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

well? at least the debate of who gets that 25th spot is now over.

the biggest practical plus for this move is now we have the inside track of Utley the Coach as soon as he retires.
ehhhhh f it.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#475 » by Neddy » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:59 am

Quake Griffin wrote:
Neddy wrote:....

The ONLY reason to have him back is the feel good, locker room, OMG he’s so beloved angle.

He came here in 2015. 2016. 2017. His influence on Seager and others should have taken its course already. Do we really still need him to show this group how to prepare? Be professional? How to leg out every ground ball?

I literally cannot think of a single day this summer where I will want his bat or defense in the lineup over Forsythe, Taylor, Barnes.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

how about this? it's the bottom of 15th in mid July afternoon game in LA, with 1 more pitcher in the bullpen and your last pinch hitter left on the bench for that pitcher's at bat, is SilverFox? it is possible, you know. Dave will use his last catcher on the bench in situations where he feels strongly about, gamble and win some, and lose more.

yeah I know... hey let's just play over/under.
Utley will in 2018, bat a slash line of .220/.310/.400 and hit 5 HRs.

who takes over?
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#476 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:48 am

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#477 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Darvish told a fan on twitter that he never said that.

Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#478 » by Quake Griffin » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:46 pm

Darvish told a fan on twitter that he never said that.

Neddy
RealGM

Post#479 » by Neddy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:43 am

I dunno what to think of this Kemp situation.

losing 40 pounds

he is "happy" to be back where he "grew up"

when he was healthy just a season and a half ago, he was posting just about .850 OPS.

but mostly, we can't find a goddamn trade partner..............................

but what if?
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#480 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:35 pm

Neddy wrote:I dunno what to think of this Kemp situation.

losing 40 pounds

he is "happy" to be back where he "grew up"

when he was healthy just a season and a half ago, he was posting just about .850 OPS.

but mostly, we can't find a goddamn trade partner..............................

but what if?

Don't forget about him blowing up on Puig...IN PUBLIC on national television the last time he was here.
Don't forget how him and Dave Stewart made life annoying and uncomfortable with his trade requests/ demands to play when he was here.

I'm sure Puig is the most evil person in the world and deserves to have someone yelling at him on national tv because Puig is Puig but Puig had a good year, is in his prime, and balled his ass off in the CS and DS last year until his bat tailspinned in the WS. Sorry Matt. This aint 2014. You have NO AUTHORITY to check Puig in 2018.

Keep your head to the ground and do your job, IDC how small that role is.

I have LITERALLY no problem designating Kemp for assignment if I get that he's even on the island that is next to the island of ruining what we built last year....and if there are no trade partners.

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers