ImageImageImageImageImage

NLDS Thread

Moderators: TyCobb, Kilroy

Ranma
RealGM
And1: 4,062

Puig and MLB Managers Scenery 

Post#261 » by Ranma » Wed Oct 14, 2015 9:07 pm

I wouldn't doubt that Puig has been out of shape. He strikes me as someone who relies heavily on his natural abilities and athleticism. The game has been too easy for him and his lifestyle has been lacking in discipline. He now has to put in the work to not only improve but maintain. To be honest, if he doesn't continue to show commitment to working on his game and following team rules this offseason, I'd shop him for a high return. I wouldn't dump him for just anything since his contract is reasonable, but I would look to see if we can get an impact bat in return. I'd even consider Giancarlo Stanton, but that contract of his is scary, especially with Crawford and Ethier's deals still on the payroll.

It's funny but the vast majority of opinions I read on online boards including us last night was that Mattingly managed a great game last night and I concurred. He even put in Joc Pederson as a defensive replacement in CF in the 9th and pulled Turner after the 7th when he grimaced after making that inning-ending play to help out Kershaw. It's a shame that that has been the exception rather than the rule with him, which is why I would still be inclined not to bring him back. I suppose such sentiment would be quelled if we win the World Series this year, but other than that, I'd need to see continued sustained improvements in short order.

Miami's owner is reportedly keen on Mattingly for the Marlins' managerial opening, so maybe we could get compensation for Donnie Potato if we let him go there. I'm hearing the Phillies are considering both Kim Ng as GM and Larry Bowa as manager in separate pursuits, which I think would be a great combination. Your suggestion of Bud Black seems to be getting serious consideration from the Nationals while Neddy's mention of Joey Cora is interviewing with the Padres.

I think we're all partial to former catchers to be major league managers. Mike Scioscia was being groomed as the heir apparent to be the Dodgers' manager before Fox took over and I've been high on him ever since, though that enthusiasm has waned recently. I think Ellis would make a good manager. He's obviously intelligent and looks over advanced numbers in his research of hitters and pitchers. However, I'm not sure I'd want him to manage the Dodgers at least any time soon. I think he'd be too connected to the players who are currently his teammates. He'd need seasoning within the organization's minor league system, anyway.
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Just Start Ellis Already 

Post#262 » by Ranma » Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:41 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/jphoornstra/status/654425335476322304[/tweet]
LA Legends: Kershaw & Koufax_ Image _IGNORED: Max Headrom-esqtvd-QRich3-EBledsoe12-alon8882-45clip
Ranma
RealGM

Also Tied for 10th and 21st 

Post#263 » by Ranma » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:36 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/baseball_ref/status/654298450239070208[/tweet]
Ranma
RealGM

Ailing Dodgers 

Post#264 » by Ranma » Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:59 pm

Justin Turner showing some true grit in what he's been doing for the Dodgers playing on a bum knee. Greinke says he's fine with pitching to either Grandal or Ellis, but Mattingly will make a game-time decision at catcher when Ellis should be the choice, anyway.

Jon Weisman, DodgerInsider.com (10/14/15)
And like Gibson famously did in 1988, Turner is increasingly seeming to carry the Dodgers without the cooperation of both his legs.

As noted after Tuesday’s Game 4 victory, Turner’s got a swollen knee — bad enough that he grimaced noticeably while making the game’s key defensive play of fielding a hard Wilmer Flores grounder with two out in the bottom of the seventh inning.

Today, Don Mattingly said that he expects Turner to be able to start in Thursday’s deciding NLDS Game 5, though that doesn’t mean he will necessarily finish. With Corey Seager’s comfort at both to play both shortstop and third, Mattingly said that (as happened in Game 4) the Dodgers could substitute Jimmy Rollins for Turner with a lead.

Despite Knee Issues, Turner Expected to Start Thursday

Jon Weisman, DodgerInsider.com (10/14/15)
Don Mattingly said that Grandal is able to play defensively, but it’s a question whether he can bat effectively, saying that Grandal is “a bit more on the 50-50 line” about whether he could start.

Greinke, the Game 5 starter, said today that pitches “probably equally to either one.”

“They both have different strengths,” Greinke said. “A.J.’s probably the best pitch-caller and working with the pitcher on what’s working and stuff similar to that, and Yas – he really works well with me, and his physical skills and baseball skills are as good as anyone in the game with framing and blocking and throwing.”

Yasmani Grandal ’50-50′ to Start NLDS Game 5

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dylanohernandez/status/654440818695016448[/tweet]
Neddy
RealGM
And1: 3,908

Re: NLDS Thread 

Post#265 » by Neddy » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:39 am

personally, I would much rather have Greinke pitch to the same catcher he has been throwing to all season even if Grandal goes 0-4 with 4 strike outs just to keep the continuity going for Zach, but between his bum shoulder and AJ's hitting streak, it is unlikely. I just hope this doesn't throw Zach off, as the Mets have announced all of their top three pitchers will be available, as of the starter DeGrom, Syndergaard to Matt Harvey. it will be the Met's young three amigos versus Greinke. I still bet my money on Greinke and Jensen but we have to score first early, and give Greinke some cushion to work with......
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

About the Aces Up Our Sleeves 

Post#266 » by Ranma » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:08 am

Molly Knight, SportsOnEarth.com (10/8/15)
Another thing I don't like about the choke narrative is it does a great disservice to the Cardinals, who I have heard are pretty good at baseball. But rooting people to the top of the ladder with the intention of tearing them down if they slip-up is the American Way.

The good news for Kershaw is we also love redemption. And he will get many more shots at it, because he is only 27 years old and the Dodgers are spending hundreds of millions of dollars to make the playoffs every year.

Earlier this season, Kershaw passed the 1,500-inning milestone in his career, becoming the 732nd pitcher to reach that mark. His 2.43 ERA is the lowest of any of them. But being one of the greatest pitchers of all-time comes with an undeniable cost. Because of his own brilliance, we hold Kershaw to a different standard. He knows that. He also knows he is going to need to make an October run like Madison Bumgarner did last season to erase any lingering doubt that he is the best pitcher on the planet.

I believe he is ready. Are we?

Ready to Change the Narrative

Steve Wulf, ESPN (10/10/15)
Greinke asked then-GM of the Brewers Doug Melvin whether he could go to the 2012 MLB draft to observe. "He knew who all the prospects were," Melvin says. "At one point, we asked him who he would take with the first pick. And he said, 'Corey Seager.' Unfortunately, the Dodgers took him before us, and now look, they're going into the postseason together."...

Greinke's Dodgers career got off to an inauspicious start when, in a game against the Padres on April 11, Carlos Quentin charged him after being hit with a 3-2 pitch. In the ensuing melee, Greinke's collarbone was broken, and he was lost to the Dodgers for a month. Quentin later called Greinke to apologize for his actions. "That's cool, man," the pitcher told him. "But just so you know, if you stand on the plate, I'll hit you again." Once he recovered, Greinke gave the Dodgers their money's worth, finishing at 15-4. According to Molly Knight's revealing book about the Dodgers, "The Best Team Money Can Buy," he also called out his teammates during a meeting meant to spur them through the closing weeks. "I've been noticing something," Greinke told them as the room got quiet. "Some of you guys have been doing the No. 2 and not washing your hands ... So if you guys could just be better about it, that would be great."

Because it was so random, the observation loosened up the team. Funny how these things work. When Greinke first signed with the Dodgers, there were concerns that the pressures of a large market might work against him. But he's been treated with respect by the media and with something close to affection by his teammates -- kind of like the way Gehrig was embraced by the Yankees.

The Mastery and Mystery of Zack Greinke
Ranma
RealGM

Keys to Game 5 

Post#267 » by Ranma » Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:38 am

Lyle Spencer, MLB.com (10/14/15)
Opponents this season hit .305 and slugged .451 with first pitches in play against deGrom - compared to .195 and .284, respectively, after falling behind 0-1 in counts. Seven of the 16 home runs deGrom yielded came when or after hitters swung at first pitches.

This postseason has been a theme park of long balls, many launched on first or second pitches. It's a good plan. Attack first and think about working counts later.

Yasmani Grandal, the catcher of the future, has handled three-fourths of Greinke's starts. But Ellis is a take-charge presence with the Majors' best catchers' ERA (3.31) since 2008. He is working on a franchise-record 12-game postseason hitting streak and has a 1.085 postseason OPS (.373 batting average) in 60 plate appearances. Grandal has had one hit in eight postseason at-bats, a two-run single in Game 3.

The catchers' numbers with Greinke this year are virtually identical: 1.64 ERA with Grandal, 1.72 with Ellis. If Greinke feels strongly about Grandal, who provides a lefty bat against deGrom, go with him. If not, play Ellis, the more experienced, hotter hand.

Five Things Dodgers Need to Do to Take NLDS
Ranma
RealGM

Hopefully History Repeating 

Post#268 » by Ranma » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:06 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/654693186686746624[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/molly_knight/status/654693682092703744[/tweet]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1_0373UNDc[/youtube]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/SportsNetLA/status/654738321373990912[/tweet]
Ranma
RealGM

Starting Lineups 

Post#269 » by Ranma » Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:51 pm

Quake Griffin
RealGM
And1: 4,644

Post#270 » by Quake Griffin » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:06 pm

Donnie/ Friedman doing the right thing.

Leave that bum Crawford on the bench.
**** in LF.
YES!

Just hoping Yas can have productive and professional ABs. It was truly a coin flip for me between him and Ellis.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

As You Wish, Zack 

Post#271 » by Ranma » Thu Oct 15, 2015 9:43 pm

I still rather have Ellis in for Grandal, but if Greinke is more comfortable with Grandal, who can still play defense, then I'm not going to argue. Definitely glad to see **** in LF and Joc in CF. The bullpen may also have a boost with Kershaw as a possibility, though I would avoid it, if at all possible.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/dylanohernandez/status/654749599136026624[/tweet]
[tweet]https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/654750844907163648[/tweet]
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#272 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:16 am

Gave up a run already with deGrom on the mound.
We've got to get this last out and get that run back.

deGrom has **** on us all year.
“I’ve always felt that drafting is the life blood of any organization.” - Jerome Alan West.
Ranma
RealGM

Banana Slip 

Post#273 » by Ranma » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:18 am

[Sigh.] Even in LF **** fumbles the ball to start off in the 1st inning of play. Zack bails him out at least.
Neddy
RealGM

Post#274 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:21 am

man if just that weak ground ball was either a bit to the left or a bit faster in its course... well lets go make some runs of our own right here.
ehhhhh f it.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#275 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:22 am

Joc played it off the wall terribly first.

My move that I wanted costs us a run.
smfh.
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#276 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:22 am

well maybe not….Granderson was gonna score easily.
Ranma
RealGM

Making Some Noise in the 1st Inning 

Post#277 » by Ranma » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:28 am

I only saw the replay as I came in a little late, but from what I gathered, the run was going to score anyway, but it did put us in a position to give up more before Zack got out of the inning. Yeah, Joc misplayed the ball as well but **** looked absolutely clumsy out there.

Seager and A-Gon with back-to-back singles for runners at the corners with 1 out and Redbeard at the plate. It's encouraging to see that deGrom is not really sharp at the moment.

Update: Turner ties it up! TBS says he's hitting .500 in the series going 8-16. And now Ethier gives us the lead!
Neddy
RealGM

Post#278 » by Neddy » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:37 am

2-1 baby

now the real Greinke please get up.
ehhhhh f it.
Ranma
RealGM

Kershaw Pumped 

Post#279 » by Ranma » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:38 am

[tweet]https://twitter.com/organicallyrude/status/654817004671512577[/tweet]
Quake Griffin
RealGM

Post#280 » by Quake Griffin » Fri Oct 16, 2015 12:38 am

Yea. the run was gonna score anyway. Your original point was on point.

Glad we touched up deGrom right there.
1st two ER against deGrom for us this year.
shut down inning ZACK!!! COME ON!

Return to Los Angeles Dodgers