Around The NBA

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,457

Re: Around the NBA 

Post#1201 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Dec 14, 2023 4:14 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:https://www.postingandtoasting.com/2023/10/20/23925056/new-york-knicks-waive-nathan-knight-sign-two-former-cavs

Diakite and Brandon Goodwin to the Knicks. On top of Windler, they're really doubling down on the ex-Cavs.

I'll be surprised if any of those guys make the final roster for the Knicks.
https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2023/12/knicks-waive-dylan-windler-will-sign-taj-gibson.html#google_vignette

It was short lived for Mr. Windler, got his spot stolen by a 38 year old. Which honestly, I'd rather have Taj than Rubio because at least he will report to the team.

Maybe Windler can join Goodwin and Diakite in West Chester lol
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Re: Around The NBA 

Post#1202 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:46 pm

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10101642-nba-trade-rumors-jazz-set-lauri-markkanen-price-similar-to-donovan-mitchell-gobert

Man, if Ainge gets some good assets back for Lauri, it's gonna make me down even more on the Mitchell trade...
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,488

Post#1203 » by JonFromVA » Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:54 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10101642-nba-trade-rumors-jazz-set-lauri-markkanen-price-similar-to-donovan-mitchell-gobert

Man, if Ainge gets some good assets back for Lauri, it's gonna make me down even more on the Mitchell trade...

Not sure why he'd trade Lauri, but if he does, of course he's going to get some good assets back.

We could have too, but we'd have to be interested in running a system that plays to our player's strengths and makes them look good. At least the guys who don't have the ball in their hands. We don't do a great job with our ball handlers either, but they do at least control their own destiny to a greater extent.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1204 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:45 pm

With Ja returning, the Grizzlies waived Kenny Lofton Jr, do we have any interest in putting a waiver claim in for him?

It's a 3 year deal but it's cheap and he's young.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,772

Post#1205 » by toooskies » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:20 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:With Ja returning, the Grizzlies waived Kenny Lofton Jr, do we have any interest in putting a waiver claim in for him?

Before this week I would've said he could take Merrill's salary slot. I would not say that now.

So it comes down to what Ricky Rubio's planning on doing.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1206 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:26 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:With Ja returning, the Grizzlies waived Kenny Lofton Jr, do we have any interest in putting a waiver claim in for him?

Before this week I would've said he could take Merrill's salary slot. I would not say that now.

I really wish there was some kind of update on the Rubio front, that $6 million being tied up while we're missing to starters is kind of frustrating.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1207 » by toooskies » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:28 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:

I really wish there was some kind of update on the Rubio front, that $6 million being tied up while we're missing to starters is kind of frustrating.

At this point Ricky should know whether he's going to play this year, and if not, he can retire and then un-retire next year. (We can still pay him if we feel like it, as long as mental health counts as a health issue which can force retirement.)
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1208 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Dec 19, 2023 4:51 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Before this week I would've said he could take Merrill's salary slot. I would not say that now.

At this point Ricky should know whether he's going to play this year, and if not, he can retire and then un-retire next year. (We can still pay him if we feel like it, as long as mental health counts as a health issue which can force retirement.)
Does him retiring free up the full $6 million cap though?

Under the old CBA, we could let him out of his contract but anything that we had already paid him, i believe counted against the cap.

It being mental health, idk how they go about figuring out if his mental illness (if that's how it's being classified) is career ending. If so, Cavs would still have to apply to get the contract off the books, I think.

Idk enough about the new CBA.

I think the easier method is either salary dumping him or including him as additional salary to a trade.

Just stinks, starting to sound like it may not be resolved until the trade deadline, at best.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,488

Post#1209 » by JonFromVA » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:36 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I really wish there was some kind of update on the Rubio front, that $6 million being tied up while we're missing to starters is kind of frustrating.

Under the old CBA, we could let him out of his contract but anything that we had already paid him, i believe counted against the cap.

It being mental health, idk how they go about figuring out if his mental illness (if that's how it's being classified) is career ending. If so, Cavs would still have to apply to get the contract off the books, I think.

I think the easier method is either salary dumping him or including him as additional salary to a trade.

Just stinks, starting to sound like it may not be resolved until the trade deadline, at best.

We may be able to get a salary exception from the league, but that may not help with the luxury tax. Not a capologist, here.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1210 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:57 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:At this point Ricky should know whether he's going to play this year, and if not, he can retire and then un-retire next year. (We can still pay him if we feel like it, as long as mental health counts as a health issue which can force retirement.)

We may be able to get a salary exception from the league, but that may not help with the luxury tax. Not a capologist, here.
Yeah, I'm not really worried about the DPE since the Cavs still have part of the MLE and part of BAE.

I just want to ensure if Rubio says okay I'm done, the NBA is too much for my mental health, i need to be with my family. Does that full $6,146,342 come of the Cavs books, from a cap perspective?

I'm kind of thinking it may end up more like a buyout since he has some guaranteed money on next season too but I'm unsure.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1211 » by toooskies » Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:39 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Does him retiring free up the full $6 million cap though?

Yeah, I'm not really worried about the DPE since the Cavs still have part of the MLE and part of BAE.

I just want to ensure if Rubio says okay I'm done, the NBA is too much for my mental health, i need to be with my family. Does that full $6,146,342 come of the Cavs books, from a cap perspective?

I'm kind of thinking it may end up more like a buyout since he has some guaranteed money on next season too but I'm unsure.

Retiring takes your contract off the cap.

In order to still be paid your contract after retirement, you typically need an injury that disqualifies you from returning. Think of Bosh's retirement with the Heat. No idea what the standards for mental health are, there.

You need to stay retired for a full year before you are allowed to un-retire. I'm not sure if that's retroactive for someone in Rubio's situation-- I don't know if he could retire with an effective date of earlier in the season, since he hasn't played. Even so, if he retired now he could still come back in the middle of next year next year and play the last ~50 games next season as well as the postseason.

If a player un-retires, the team who had him under contract has the option of resuming the old contract or allowing the player to become a free agent-- until the original contract would have expired.

If Rubio does not retire but is declared likely out for the season due to the mental health issue, we can get a contract exception (but does not help with the cap). But we still have part of the MLE available as well, so that's not nearly as important as cap relief.

Thanks to the rules prodding teams to reach the minimum salary at the beginning of the year, no team has complete room under the cap to take on Rubio's salary. So in most cases we'd need to take a player back, likely at a minimum salary, if we need to dump him-- which means we're paying for a player, too. This should still free up enough cap space to fill our 15th roster spot.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1212 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Dec 19, 2023 8:23 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Retiring takes your contract off the cap.

In order to still be paid your contract after retirement, you typically need an injury that disqualifies you from returning. Think of Bosh's retirement with the Heat. No idea what the standards for mental health are, there.

You need to stay retired for a full year before you are allowed to un-retire. I'm not sure if that's retroactive for someone in Rubio's situation-- I don't know if he could retire with an effective date of earlier in the season, since he hasn't played. Even so, if he retired now he could still come back in the middle of next year next year and play the last ~50 games next season as well as the postseason.

If a player un-retires, the team who had him under contract has the option of resuming the old contract or allowing the player to become a free agent-- until the original contract would have expired.

If Rubio does not retire but is declared likely out for the season due to the mental health issue, we can get a contract exception (but does not help with the cap). But we still have part of the MLE available as well, so that's not nearly as important as cap relief.

Thanks to the rules prodding teams to reach the minimum salary at the beginning of the year, no team has complete room under the cap to take on Rubio's salary. So in most cases we'd need to take a player back, likely at a minimum salary, if we need to dump him-- which means we're paying for a player, too. This should still free up enough cap space to fill our 15th roster spot.
Appreciate the note, so maybe he does call it quits and Cavs get cap relief that way.

There are 11 teams with TPEs large enough to absorb Rubio's contract and 13 teams have the MLE/Room exception large enough to absorb Rubio's contract. So, there are options out there to dump him, just not sure if we have the draft capital to make it happen.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1213 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Dec 20, 2023 3:03 am

Pretty sad the Pelicans take 3 of their starters off the floor for offense/defense sub and Ja still hits the game winning layup.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1214 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:29 am

Mitchell Robinson out for the season.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 889

Post#1215 » by ijspeelman » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:22 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Mitchell Robinson out for the season.

Actually sucks a lot for the Knicks. They've done a great job weaponizing his rebounding on offense and he's a great rim protector.

In all honesty, this helps us immensely in a match-up against them as they don't have many rim protectors that compare.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1216 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:51 pm

ijspeelman wrote:

Actually sucks a lot for the Knicks. They've done a great job weaponizing his rebounding on offense and he's a great rim protector.

In all honesty, this helps us immensely in a match-up against them as they don't have many rim protectors that compare.
Yeah, ya hate to see it but from a matchup perspective if we were to see them in the postseason, it helps for sure.

With Toppin traded and Robinson out for the season, 2 of their front 4 who tore us up are gone. Hart still rebounds well for how little he is and Hartenstien has a good nose for the ball too but at least he's thin like Mobley and Allen. They do have that Sims guy but he's currently down with an injury, idk a lot about him.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,893

Post#1217 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:53 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Yeah, ya hate to see it but from a matchup perspective if we were to see them in the postseason, it helps for sure.

With Toppin traded and Robinson out for the season, 2 of their front 4 who tore us up are gone. Hart still rebounds well for how little he is and Hartenstien has a good nose for the ball too but at least he's thin like Mobley and Allen. They do have that Sims guy but he's currently down with an injury, idk a lot about him.

I get what you're trying to say, but Toppin did not "tear us up".
Well at least we're not Detroit!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1218 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:09 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I get what you're trying to say, but Toppin did not "tear us up".
That Knicks entire front court tore the Cavs collective booty cheeks to pieces, ain't no 2 ways about it.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1219 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:15 pm

That part.

They were in there, like swimwear buddy... No exclusions here.ImageImage
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,893

Post#1220 » by mcfly1204 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 9:49 pm

Come on, man. You're using stats that are relative to how much a player was actually on the court. As a reminder, Toppin averaged 17mpg in that series.
Well at least we're not Detroit!

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers