Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 886

Re: Love Bought Out 

Post#141 » by ijspeelman » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:14 am

jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Yeah, Love was very effective against the Bucks and Knicks, less so against the Celtics. My concern with JBB is that he's too reductive to be able to utilize role players on a case by case basis that way.

JB's role player usage can be suspect, but I would like to say that the tools at his disposal aren't nesseccarily useful for every situation.

I assume we saw a lot of testing in the regular season to see what players could work in what situations. I think Cedi would normally be one of those tools you can go to, but because of our reliance on some inkling of spacing we had to rely on him in situations where he wasn't suitable. Same goes for Lamar Stevens.

He's streaky, but Cedi shot 37% from 3. LeVert shot 39%. Both on more than 4 apg. Which is better than a lot of players people on the T&T think we should trade Allen for.

My big issue with JBB is how quickly he seemed to give up on Wade after the Love situation went sideways. At that point, you really have to try to get Wade going before the playoffs. Like, you no longer have the luxury of burying Wade on the bench because Lauri and Love aren't on the roster anymore and you can't go into the postseason with no stretch big.

I definitely agree that lack of good Wade minutes really hurt us ending the year. It is hard because he just wasn't bringing much on the offensive end. I also don't think he's earned any gravity with his shooting (yet).

He's not the key to success, but when he's on, he's a pretty good role player.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,756

Post#142 » by toooskies » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:26 am

jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
Yeah, Love was very effective against the Bucks and Knicks, less so against the Celtics. My concern with JBB is that he's too reductive to be able to utilize role players on a case by case basis that way.

JB's role player usage can be suspect, but I would like to say that the tools at his disposal aren't nesseccarily useful for every situation.

I assume we saw a lot of testing in the regular season to see what players could work in what situations. I think Cedi would normally be one of those tools you can go to, but because of our reliance on some inkling of spacing we had to rely on him in situations where he wasn't suitable. Same goes for Lamar Stevens.

He's streaky, but Cedi shot 37% from 3. LeVert shot 39%. Both on more than 4 apg. Which is better than a lot of players people on the T&T think we should trade Allen for.

My big issue with JBB is how quickly he seemed to give up on Wade after the Love situation went sideways. At that point, you really have to try to get Wade going before the playoffs. Like, you no longer have the luxury of burying Wade on the bench because Lauri and Love aren't on the roster anymore and you can't go into the postseason with no stretch big.

I think the plan was to play Danny Green as small ball 4 more after we released Love and then Green got COVID.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,628

Post#143 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:11 am

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I think the plan was to play Danny Green as small ball 4 more after we released Love and then Green got COVID.

I mean if that was the plan, that's kind of scary because Covid aside, he looked like he was playing on one leg. Also, when you make the decision to shorten your rotation to 8 guys after the all-star break, you necessarily limit your options going forward, and stuff happens.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#144 » by toooskies » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:48 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I mean if that was the plan, that's kind of scary because Covid aside, he looked like he was playing on one leg. Also, when you make the decision to shorten your rotation to 8 guys after the all-star break, you necessarily limit your options going forward, and stuff happens.

And one of those guys was Lamar Stevens, who got dropped for no real reason other than he didn't look great against the Knicks in game 78.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#145 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:53 am

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:I think the plan was to play Danny Green as small ball 4 more after we released Love and then Green got COVID.

And one of those guys was Lamar Stevens, who got dropped for no real reason other than he didn't look great against the Knicks in game 78.

He's also an underwhelming rebounder for a guy who's built like a middle linebacker. He probably could've helped get a body on Randle, Toppin, Hart, etc. but in terms of actually securing the ball, he kind of sucks.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,444

Post#146 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Jun 2, 2023 11:27 am

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I would like to point out, JB shortened his rotation to 8 guys back in November, long before the ASB.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#147 » by ijspeelman » Fri Jun 2, 2023 1:20 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:I think the plan was to play Danny Green as small ball 4 more after we released Love and then Green got COVID.

I would like to point out, JB shortened his rotation to 8 guys back in November, long before the ASB.

You aren't wrong (we all complained about it at the beginning of the season), but he did open up the line-up a bit a few weeks before the all-star break. He played like 9-11 guys during this time (which he should have done most of the year).

I'm okay shortening the line-up for big games, but against everyone else we should be playing as many players as possible in the regular season.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,472

Post#148 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jun 2, 2023 2:47 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I suspect they/he really underestimated Dean's shoulder injury, but you can't force a player to have surgery, so we'll just have to wait and see how his rehab goes.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of contract offers Kevin gets this Summer.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#149 » by ijspeelman » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:04 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I suspect they/he really underestimated Dean's shoulder injury, but you can't force a player to have surgery, so we'll just have to wait and see how his rehab goes.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of contract offers Kevin gets this Summer.

I have to assume Kevin is getting the vet min. I really don't think he has much more value than that at this point. Maybe some team will pay a bit more if they really think he can be a big man off the bench for them.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#150 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:14 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I have to assume Kevin is getting the vet min. I really don't think he has much more value than that at this point. Maybe some team will pay a bit more if they really think he can be a big man off the bench for them.

He could have continued to sit on our bench and get that.

Surely some GM will convince themselves they need his "playoff experience"? Or the Heat/someone will decide they can protect him defensively enough to let his rebounding and presumably shooting shine?

His finger should fully heal and any scar tissue eventually break-up unless that was mismanaged.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#151 » by ijspeelman » Fri Jun 2, 2023 3:42 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Surely some GM will convince themselves they need his "playoff experience"? Or the Heat/someone will decide they can protect him defensively enough to let his rebounding and presumably shooting shine?

His finger should fully heal and any scar tissue eventually break-up unless that was mismanaged.

I think his shooting will stick, but he is incredibly hard to protect on defense. I think he looses almost all his offensive value on that end.

Teams can do it. Heat have tried and been semi-successful. Though, there is a reason he is currently not playing.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,444

Post#152 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Jun 2, 2023 4:42 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

You aren't wrong (we all complained about it at the beginning of the season), but he did open up the line-up a bit a few weeks before the all-star break. He played like 9-11 guys during this time (which he should have done most of the year).

I'm okay shortening the line-up for big games, but against everyone else we should be playing as many players as possible in the regular season.
Even in that few week timeframe it wasn't consistent, there are several games in there where he's only playing an 8 man rotation.

That is a massive JB flaw, he needs to be going 10 to 12 deep for 82 games.

Everyone knows playoff rotations tighten up, so when he plays 8 guys all season long, that's how we seen the 6 man playoff rotation.

JB and Koby saying the guys need to be in bettet shape to handle that, no buddy, ya gotta play more guys.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#153 » by toooskies » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:24 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

He's also an underwhelming rebounder for a guy who's built like a middle linebacker. He probably could've helped get a body on Randle, Toppin, Hart, etc. but in terms of actually securing the ball, he kind of sucks.

My point wasn't to argue the merits of Lamar Stevens playing. I'm just saying he was the guy getting the backup PF minutes until he very abruptly wasn't.

The playoffs obviously didn't go as expected, but the Cavs definitely didn't stick to the rotations and game plans that got us to the playoffs in the first place. We liked LeVert off the bench in the regular season but took his offense away from bench units in the playoffs, leaving them rudderless.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#154 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:47 pm

toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:And one of those guys was Lamar Stevens, who got dropped for no real reason other than he didn't look great against the Knicks in game 78.

My point wasn't to argue the merits of Lamar Stevens playing. I'm just saying he was the guy getting the backup PF minutes until he very abruptly wasn't.

The playoffs obviously didn't go as expected, but the Cavs definitely didn't stick to the rotations and game plans that got us to the playoffs in the first place. We liked LeVert off the bench in the regular season but took his offense away from bench units in the playoffs, leaving them rudderless.

I've been as critical as anyone of JBB but the truth is that Okoro was bad as a starter and LeVert was flat out awful coming off the bench in Game 1. The one thing that LeVert brings is that he can still beat his man off the dribble and the Knicks were just resting Brunson on defense in Game 1. The reality is that a big part of winning in the postseason is adjusting to matchup issues and how the other team is defending you. Aaron Gordon is normally a 4th or 5th option on Denver, but they just fed him on those back cuts all game long because the Heat tried to hide smaller defenders on him. If LeVert made an effort to get that 12 footer going it could've been effective over Brunson and with Robinson playing drop coverage, but you're kind of asking Garland and Mitchell to space for him while he's doing it so that's a mixed bag.

I really think Okoro is more of a natural 2 than a 3. I like him as a part of a three guard rotation so long as we're starting Garland and Mitchell. LeVert is a problematic fit with the starters for obvious reasons. Cedi isn't a starter. I'm not convinced that More Okoro and Stevens changes the outcome of a single game let alone the series. I think a stretch big as part of a three man rotation with Allen and Mobley would've helped a lot.

I'm pretty high on Wantabe as a primary target with the MLE as he can play SF or a small ball stretch 4.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#155 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jun 2, 2023 5:48 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I think his shooting will stick, but he is incredibly hard to protect on defense. I think he looses almost all his offensive value on that end.

Teams can do it. Heat have tried and been semi-successful. Though, there is a reason he is currently not playing.

Well, he isn't getting younger, so we can't treat past numbers as being predictive ... but when healthy his shooting was easily overcoming his crappy defense.

Even this season, take a look at his monthly splits and his 3pt%/TS% and +/- columns.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/loveke01/splits/2023

I do feel like JBB was struggling with Kevin's defense and regular season effort level, and there was always a fair chance he'd get picked on in the playoffs and become unplayable (let's see what Sploestra tries now that Strus and Robinson stunk up Denver). But I suspect it goes deeper for a coach trying to teach young players to learn and play within a defensive system when there's a player who breaks that system.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#156 » by ijspeelman » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:01 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Well, he isn't getting younger, so we can't treat past numbers as being predictive ... but when healthy his shooting was easily overcoming his crappy defense.

Even this season, take a look at his monthly splits and his 3pt%/TS% and +/- columns.

I do feel like JBB was struggling with Kevin's defense and regular season effort level, and there was always a fair chance he'd get picked on in the playoffs and become unplayable (let's see what Sploestra tries now that Strus and Robinson stunk up Denver). But I suspect it goes deeper for a coach trying to teach young players to learn and play within a defensive system when there's a player who breaks that system.

From his on-off, it looks like we were 2.8 points per possession better with him off the court (our offense and defense was better with him off).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/loveke01/on-off/2023
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#157 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:34 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

From his on-off, it looks like we were 2.8 points per possession better with him off the court (our offense and defense was better with him off).

Sure, and that's how it will go down in history ... for those of us who don't remember he tried to play with a fracture in his right thumb. He hurt it on November 18th and only sat one game before trying to come back and play.

He's currently dealing with an ankle injury ...
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#158 » by ijspeelman » Fri Jun 2, 2023 6:47 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Sure, and that's how it will go down in history ... for those of us who don't remember he tried to play with a fracture in his right thumb. He hurt it on November 18th and only sat one game before trying to come back and play.

Would you be surprised to know the on-off data for the previous year suggests the same thing? We were 2.1 points better per possession with him off the floor (again better offensively and defensively).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/loveke01/on-off/2022
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#159 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jun 2, 2023 7:53 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Would you be surprised to know the on-off data for the previous year suggests the same thing? We were 2.1 points better per possession with him off the floor (again better offensively and defensively).

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/loveke01/on-off/2022

A negative on-off for a bench player is not necessarily any sort of indictment, it may just mean the starters were doing their job.

So, would it surprise you if I told you Kevin had a positive on-court every month of that season except March when the Cavs were -9.7 when he was on the floor?

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/l/loveke01/splits/2022

Anyone remember what happened of note in March? (+1 to whoever gets it first :lol: )

By comparison, the Cavs were +13.3 with Kevin on the floor in December as he and Ricky were helping coin the term Cavalanche.

Alas, we never got anything close to that version of Kevin and Ricky on the floor together after that month.

Again, history will show us the totals and how things ended up in aggregate. It's up to us to remember what really happened and why if we want to interpret it accurately. At least as much as we're told/hinted/leaked.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#160 » by toooskies » Fri Jun 2, 2023 8:57 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I've been as critical as anyone of JBB but the truth is that Okoro was bad as a starter and LeVert was flat out awful coming off the bench in Game 1. The one thing that LeVert brings is that he can still beat his man off the dribble and the Knicks were just resting Brunson on defense in Game 1. The reality is that a big part of winning in the postseason is adjusting to matchup issues and how the other team is defending you. Aaron Gordon is normally a 4th or 5th option on Denver, but they just fed him on those back cuts all game long because the Heat tried to hide smaller defenders on him. If LeVert made an effort to get that 12 footer going it could've been effective over Brunson and with Robinson playing drop coverage, but you're kind of asking Garland and Mitchell to space for him while he's doing it so that's a mixed bag.

I really think Okoro is more of a natural 2 than a 3. I like him as a part of a three guard rotation so long as we're starting Garland and Mitchell. LeVert is a problematic fit with the starters for obvious reasons. Cedi isn't a starter. I'm not convinced that More Okoro and Stevens changes the outcome of a single game let alone the series. I think a stretch big as part of a three man rotation with Allen and Mobley would've helped a lot.

I'm pretty high on Wantabe as a primary target with the MLE as he can play SF or a small ball stretch 4.

It's fine to come to the conclusion that you're not going to trust Okoro in the playoffs so he shouldn't start. But then he shouldn't have been starting in game 1. Nor should he have been the starter at any point where you'd think you're going to pull him.

You need to believe that your role players are going to recover from a bad night or two. And if they don't, well, the other options are probably going to be worse.

You shouldn't be starting Wade in games 78-82 and then only give him seven minutes in the playoffs. I don't care if he was bad in game 1, so was Rubio but you didn't go benching him.

You shouldn't trust Stevens to play 20 minutes a game post-ASB and then not even try him in the playoffs. He'd have been a much better blitz-and-recover big than, say, Allen. He at least could have given him a breather if we're not going to keep our bigs close to the paint.

Nor should you leapfrog all those guys with Danny Green, who played only 90 minutes in the regular season (most of those with deep bench guys), just because you can't seem to trust the guys you were going with.

Okoro quietly had very good games in games 3-5, and adjusting away from him was probably a bad thing. LeVert was also good, but we need to adjust by subbing Mitchell or Garland out on their bad nights and putting LeVert in. Or benching Rubio.

What we tried to do to adjust was so poorly managed. It has really made me question whether JBB is actually good at managing players.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers