Trade Ideas

Moderator: ijspeelman

jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,739

Re: Trade Ideas 

Post#1561 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:34 pm

JonFromVA wrote:I just realized we've been talking about Nets trades and we just saw those players yesterday, well, at least in theory.

DFS and RON were a combined 0 for 3 with 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, and 5 fouls.

Or nearly invisible in any positive sense in the box.

Guess they don't want to be traded to the Cavs.

Part of it is role players falling off in the absence of a No. 1 option on the roster, part of it is the Nets are in a tailspin, but part of it is those guys being a little overrated. This is particularly true of O'Neale.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 889

Post#1562 » by ijspeelman » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:30 pm

JonFromVA wrote:I just realized we've been talking about Nets trades and we just saw those players yesterday, well, at least in theory.

DFS and RON were a combined 0 for 3 with 2 rebounds, 1 assist, 2 turnovers, and 5 fouls.

Or they were tanking their trade value to make it easier for us and getting us an easier win. Love them already for that
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,457

Post#1563 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:51 pm

ijspeelman wrote:

Or they were tanking their trade value to make it easier for us and getting us an easier win. Love them already for that
I told my brother I'd love to get DFS and Royce in one transaction but that would probably require 3 firsts that the Cavs don't have.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1564 » by ijspeelman » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:00 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

I told my brother I'd love to get DFS and Royce in one transaction but that would probably require 3 firsts that the Cavs don't have.

I doubt Royce is worth a first nowadays, especially if he expires next year (maybe they'll wait to hopefully sign him as an FA). DFS on the other hand is a prototypical 3&D wing (and on a team friendly long-term deal) so he'll be more costly
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,488

Post#1565 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:19 pm

ijspeelman wrote:

:lol:

Was anyone watching the game with an eye on those guys? Did they do anything quietly impactful in the background?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1566 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:43 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

Was anyone watching the game with an eye on those guys? Did they do anything quietly impactful in the background?
Even if they didn't, it's a 1 game sample.

DFS is having a career year shooting the ball. My only concern with that, if the Cavs find a way to maneuver a trade is that shooters have forgotten how to shoot once they play under Jb lol
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1567 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:16 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:

DFS is having a career year shooting the ball. My only concern with that, if the Cavs find a way to maneuver a trade is that shooters have forgotten how to shoot once they play under Jb lol

Keep in mind the bar you set for these guys. You're not going to be happy if they're raining 3's on the Pistons at the Barkley Center in November and bricking 3's in MSG .vs. the Knicks in April.

Or more specifically in the case of DFS only getting a single shot up in 14 minutes. If all he's doing is keeping a defender close (was he?) is his defense impactful enough? Was he even trying to move without the ball, setting screens, etc?

I like what we're seeing from Strus, Niang, and Merrill in terms of trying to be more than just spot up shooters and I'd like to see us continue to enhance and compliment that. So little things like being willing to set off ball screens is important.

And then there's the defensive side. If we're moving Okoro and/or Wade to give DFS/whoever minutes, how impactful is he going to be on defense? I just saw Mikal Bridges made to look like nothing against Mitchell. Did DFS even get a turn on him?
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1568 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:06 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Keep in mind the bar you set for these guys. You're not going to be happy if they're raining 3's on the Pistons at the Barkley Center in November and bricking 3's in MSG .vs. the Knicks in April.

Or more specifically in the case of DFS only getting a single shot up in 14 minutes. If all he's doing is keeping a defender close (was he?) is his defense impactful enough? Was he even trying to move without the ball, setting screens, etc?

I like what we're seeing from Strus, Niang, and Merrill in terms of trying to be more than just spot up shooters and I'd like to see us continue to enhance and compliment that. So little things like being willing to set off ball screens is important.

And then there's the defensive side. If we're moving Okoro and/or Wade to give DFS/whoever minutes, how impactful is he going to be on defense? I just saw Mikal Bridges made to look like nothing against Mitchell. Did DFS even get a turn on him?

The Nets have no first option, or at least not one who is interested in passing the ball. It makes it easier to stay home on defense.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1569 » by JonFromVA » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:58 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Even if they didn't, it's a 1 game sample.

The Nets have no first option, or at least not one who is interested in passing the ball. It makes it easier to stay home on defense.

Cam Thomas is definitely a two edged sword, but Cam Johnson got some shots up (only made 1).

Fortunately we have the nba.com and can fact check our presumptions, here's what I saw:

1) bricked an open shot off a cut;
2) bricked a wide open shot on a kick out, but he dipped the ball on his shot almost giving Strus time to contest;
3) made a wide open corner 3pt, again his dip gave Merrill time to almost contest.
4) Don was defending in the paint, Cam relocated and bricks a shot that was still in his hand as Mitchell got a hand up;
5) bricked a corner 3 as Dean was guarding 2 guys and guessed wrong, Merrill made a useless jump at him.

So, Cam had no problems getting open looks. Our defenders weren't shy about cheating off the perimeter to help in the paint. They reacted quickly, but I saw only one case where one of our defenders may have gotten a hand up fast enough to affect his jumper.

Maybe the Nets starters were all out partying too much the night before, but it is what it is.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1570 » by jbk1234 » Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:45 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Cam Thomas is definitely a two edged sword, but Cam Johnson got some shots up (only made 1).

Fortunately we have the nba.com and can fact check our presumptions, here's what I saw:

1) bricked an open shot off a cut;
2) bricked a wide open shot on a kick out, but he dipped the ball on his shot almost giving Strus time to contest;
3) made a wide open corner 3pt, again his dip gave Merrill time to almost contest.
4) Don was defending in the paint, Cam relocated and bricks a shot that was still in his hand as Mitchell got a hand up;
5) bricked a corner 3 as Dean was guarding 2 guys and guessed wrong, Merrill made a useless jump at him.

So, Cam had no problems getting open looks. Our defenders weren't shy about cheating off the perimeter to help in the paint. They reacted quickly, but I saw only one case where one of our defenders may have gotten a hand up fast enough to affect his jumper.

Maybe the Nets starters were all out partying too much the night before, but it is what it is.

Right, you can cheat off your guy when C. Thomas has the ball because no one in the arena expects him to pass.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1571 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:40 am

https://clutchpoints.com/nba-rumors-cavs-linked-nets-veteran-due-donovan-mitchell

Idk how plugged in this dude is but he makes it sound like if the Cavs trade for Royce it will in part be because that's what Mitchell wants.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1572 » by ijspeelman » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:49 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:https://clutchpoints.com/nba-rumors-cavs-linked-nets-veteran-due-donovan-mitchell

Idk how plugged in this dude is but he makes it sound like if the Cavs trade for Royce it will in part be because that's what Mitchell wants.

I think we've been connected to Royce since Mitchell got traded here since they are good friends and he fits what we need. I have to assume the Cavs have kept their eyes on his value

I would not be surprised if we didn't sign him this season (unless extremely cheap) and signed him in the off-season as an FA with our MLE
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1573 » by jbk1234 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:14 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:https://clutchpoints.com/nba-rumors-cavs-linked-nets-veteran-due-donovan-mitchell

I think we've been connected to Royce since Mitchell got traded here since they are good friends and he fits what we need. I have to assume the Cavs have kept their eyes on his value

I would not be surprised if we didn't sign him this season (unless extremely cheap) and signed him in the off-season as an FA with our MLE

The obvious complication here is that the Nets aren't going to want to do anything that will help the Cavs extend Mitchell this summer. I'd rather just sign O'Neale this summer to an MLE deal as JBB would feel pressure to play him in the postseason regardless of whether the matchup made sense.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1574 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:58 pm

Only use the MLE on Royce if Mitchell extends, i know that probably goes without saying but still lol
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1575 » by ijspeelman » Mon Jan 15, 2024 4:39 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:Only use the MLE on Royce if Mitchell extends, i know that probably goes without saying but still lol

Without thinking about it too much, it still wouldn't be a bad signing without Mitchell resigning as he would still fit a role / be on a tradable contract
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1576 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 15, 2024 5:12 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Only use the MLE on Royce if Mitchell extends, i know that probably goes without saying but still lol

Without thinking about it too much, it still wouldn't be a bad signing without Mitchell resigning as he would still fit a role / be on a tradable contract
It really depends, because you would hope the front office would trade Mitchell if he refuses to extend however that's not the only option.

If they do the wise thing and trade him, I'm not sure it would be the only trade. Also, they probably retain Jb as coach but ya never know could shake that up too.

So, the Royce signing may not make as much sense without Mitchell and a new coach. I like Royce just not sure i wanna tie my MLE up in a 6'4" PF.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1577 » by JonFromVA » Mon Jan 15, 2024 7:36 pm

All Cleveland can do is give Mitchell some reasons to stay and hope they outweigh his thoughts of leaving. Even just getting Bird rights on RON should help.

If we think Don is leaving no matter what like the media thinks, then don't waste any resources.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1578 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:34 am

Okoro, Niang and Jones get it done money wise for Hunter. Not sure what the Hawks would want from a pick perspective.Image
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1579 » by jbk1234 » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:40 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:Okoro, Niang and Jones get it done money wise for Hunter. Not sure what the Hawks would want from a pick perspective.Image

I'm not high on Niang, but our frontcourt would be awfully barren until Mobley returns.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1580 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Jan 17, 2024 3:52 am

jbk1234 wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Okoro, Niang and Jones get it done money wise for Hunter. Not sure what the Hawks would want from a pick perspective.Image

I'm not high on Niang, but our frontcourt would be awfully barren until Mobley returns.
Well, we don't have to make this trade until the 8th so Mobley should be close to returning by then and even if he's not the All-Star break is a couple games after that.

Plus the Cavs have 2 vacant roster spots right now and this hypothetical trade would open up 2 more. Could sign Noel, Dedmon, Favors, Blake Griffin, or Green to a vet min for the rest of the season. Heck or even Rudy Gay if ya wanted someone who can shoot a little.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers