ImageImageImage

**Official Trade Thread**

Moderator: ijspeelman

aniloman
Junior
And1: 0

Re: **Official Trade Thread** 

Post#196 » by aniloman » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:25 pm

I think the CAVS should target Blatche from the WIZ or CV from the Pistons. Both are young and could help them team in the long term.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,891

Post#197 » by mcfly1204 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:26 pm

aniloman wrote:I think the CAVS should target Blatche from the WIZ or CV from the Pistons. Both are young and could help them team in the long term.

I would be interested in Blatche because of his skill set, but I do not think there is a lot he can offer Cleveland this season. That being said, we already have a lot of mediocre PF's.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
heathmalc
Analyst
And1: 16

Post#198 » by heathmalc » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:49 pm

It has been my belief since last summer that the Cavaliers' main focus was a 2-guard. I know that everyone has been talking about a stretch-4, but I honestly do not think that is anywhere near a priority for our team. In fact, I do not think Danny Ferry has any plans on aquiring another PF unless there is a home-run deal that brings one here.

An example: Say the Phoenix Suns traded Amare. He isn't as explosive as he used to be and he doesn't play very good help defense; but his man defense is not bad - thus, I believe that in our system, with LeBron, he would do very well. He would stay with the Cavs, and would likely guarantee LeBron to re-sign. I know that many of you are not high on Amare, but he is better than his stats are showing, and is still young. I think this would be a great situation to buy LOW on a player who can be a real difference maker. A simple S&T of Wally, plus Daniel Gibson, and a future 1st, and cash (Sarver is a money pincher, and LOVES cash in every deal) would cement the deal.

Our line-up:
Mo/Delonte
Delonte/Parker/Green (I believe Delonte will be starting soon if a trade isn't made)
LeBron/Moon/Jawad
Amare/Varejao/Powe/Jackson
Shaq/Ilgauskas/Varejao

Amare would allow for a more versatile small-ball line-up and a stronger big line-up. IE:
SMALL:
Mo
West
Bron
Amare
Anderson

BIG:
Parker
LeBron
Amare (Amare has played well in sets where he has played the SF in Phoenix- last year and year b4)
Ilgauskas
Shaq

Here is another example of a trade (One I think has a real chance) that could cement us in the Championship game for this year and beyond:

Cavs trade Z(with buyout agreement) and S&T Wally & Gibson to Philly for:
Andre Iguodala & Elton Brand, future 2nd round pick

A lot of people really hate Elton because of his injury, but he has played very well the last 2 months (19.31 PER over that period). I think he is getting over his injury, and the fact that he is more suited to our style of basketball would be perfect. Many of you may not know it, but the Cavaliers were trying to trade for Brand before he left the Clips. Anyway, Iguodala is 25 (Same as LeBron) and he has a decent handle, can create his own shot and play decent defense that would only get better here. With this trade, I think the Cavaliers would easily be the favorite to win the title, and would almost guarantee LeBron re-signing for the full 6 years.
Mo/Delonte/Parker
Iguodala/Parker/Delonte/Green
LeBron/Moon/Jawad
Brand/Powe/Hickson/Jackson
Shaq/Varejao (Ilgauskas would replace Andy when bought out, while Andy would take Powe's spot as the back-up PF)

If you take a close look at this line-up this puts us 3-deep at every position. We'd be extremely deep at PF, and would likely get big trade offers for Powe over the summer (assuming he plays well when he comes back)

Yet another scenario is a trade with the Kings that would relieve us of a couple 1st rounders and Hickson & Gibson and bring back Martin & Nocioni. I don't particularly like this scenario as much, but because we are in the East and have the contracts needed to make a deal work (and the draft picks), we'd likely be near or at the top of any list the Kings may have if they were to deal Martin - which is more likely now than it was just 10 days ago due to problems in Sac-Town.

At any rate, I do not foresee any single trade that brings Jamison or Murphy, as I think that those rumors were put out there deliberately. TheCavs have no real use for a stretch 4. It is a myth that fans are eating-up. Think about it: If the Cavs needed a stretch-4 to open the paint, then why are they the #1 scoring team in the paint in the NBA? Do they want to score 80% of their points in the paint instead of 70% ? The Cavs don't need any space in the paint. Shaq & LeBron don't run into each other or get in one-another's way. Hell, Shaq is only in for 20 minutes or less. What we need is a #2 guard who can create his own shot & drive competently, while also having the range to shoot a 3 ball and keep the defenses honest (30% from 3pt-land would keep a defense honest).

I wouldn't count out a three or 4-way deal that brought us Maggett & something else either.
We the People...
Cleveland Fan
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#199 » by Cleveland Fan » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:32 pm

I totally agree that we need a SG more than a PF.
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#200 » by heathmalc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:45 am

Something else that fans should not count out: Anderson Varejao getting traded

I know that most-everyone thinks that he is nearly indispensable, however, just last year and the year before, everyone was looking to trade him. He hasn't changed much, but people seem to value him more now that we don't have Wallace & Joe Smith hanging around. However, we do have Powe hanging out, and he is younger than Andy, and an extremely good defender. He is a little shorter than Andy, by he is mobile, and a better scorer. Most of all, he is cheap/Young/good player. He is definitely a very good back-up PF!!! We could move Andy in a package to get us someone like Iguodala, or a similar 2-guard.

Just something to chew on as the deadline approaches.
We the People...
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 73

Post#201 » by Rise Against » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:10 am

Heath, your inside info has no credibility whatsoever.. Maybe you should just stop posting any trades/rumors and stick to what we know from sport writers who are actually reliable. There is no way the Cavs are going to trade Varejao, especially when we just resigned him to an extension last summer. He has been outstanding coming off the bench.. He is even leading the Cavs in rebounding as a reserve, and he never takes days off.. We wouldn't be where we are today if it weren't for Andy. He is too valuable for us to trade away.
TheOUTLAW
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,757

Post#202 » by TheOUTLAW » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:49 am

I can't see the Cavs trading Varejao unless they are getting one serious big man
UncleDrew wrote: I get Buckets!
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,082

Post#203 » by mg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:15 pm

LeBron and Andy are 1-2 in the entire NBA in +/-.

Andy isn't getting traded unless someone very, very special is coming back in the deal. In other words Andy is not getting dealt.
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#204 » by heathmalc » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:30 pm

Exile23 wrote:Heath, your inside info has no credibility whatsoever.. Maybe you should just stop posting any trades/rumors and stick to what we know from sport writers who are actually reliable. There is no way the Cavs are going to trade Varejao, especially when we just resigned him to an extension last summer. He has been outstanding coming off the bench.. He is even leading the Cavs in rebounding as a reserve, and he never takes days off.. We wouldn't be where we are today if it weren't for Andy. He is too valuable for us to trade away.

Exile,

You, like many others are a bandwagoner for the forums. If you knew half of what you thought you knew, then your posts may be worth reading.

As for my "insider" information: I have never claimed anything. It has been assumed many times over that I posed as an insider; but that is false. Simply writing something that I hear and/or believe is possible does not qualify for that status. To be a true insider you need to have a regular rapport with NBA GMs & personnel, which I do not have. That doesn't stop me from using the resources available to me to for m my own opinion(s).

As for Andy - Quit jerking yourself off! Andy is a good defender, who gets a lot of his positioning due to the fact that the opposing team is often out of position due to LeBron & Ilgauskas (Andy gets 62% of his rebounds while Z is on the floor). This means that the opposing team has bigs on the perimeter to guard Z, and others are out of position; often because of the threat of LeBron. Ironically, Z plays about 18 minutes a game, while Andy doubles that floor time - but Andy gets most of his boards during that small time frame when Z is on the floor.

Andy is a good player, and has a motor that won't stop. However, his value is at it's highest point, and the Cavaliers wouldn't flinch if they needed to move him for the right player to come here.

As for my "insider" info... :lol:

At any rate, I have made posts on here several times, telling Cavs fans players who are available to be traded, before it has been posted on ESPN or elsewhere. A good instance of this is Amare, who was considered as a player that would not be traded, and I told you yesterday (MLK day) that he was. Today, Chad Ford let the info out on ESPN. This was not insider info... just news on the wire that was available for any writer at the Courier. I also told you that Iguodala is available; before espn said anything.... found out the same way as the Amare deal.

You'll hear about Nash & Amare having problems soon. This isn't insider info....just stuff that I get to see first.:P

Andy is DEFINITELY available!!!!!!!

My best guess is that the Cavs will do a 3-way with Philly. But Sacramento, Dallas, Phoenix, Portland, Memphis and Detroit are teams that I think could make us better too.

Like they reported on ESPN,TNT,TSN,CBS,and others, the Cavaliers are by far the most active team in the trade market. That isn't a rumor, it is a fact. Consider LeBron the only off-limits asset the Cavs have. He has basically made it known that he plans on staying a Cav barring some unforeseen circumstance that compels him to leave; IE: The Cavs not doing everything they can to ensure that he has a shot at a title for the next 5 years, A problem within the front-office (Particularly the ownership).
We the People...
LeQuitterNotMVP
Analyst

Post#205 » by LeQuitterNotMVP » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:59 pm

I thought Amare was going to be a Cav last season?
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,482

Post#206 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:44 pm

I'm real curious to see what Powe can bring, but he's played limited minutes in his career. He may very well prove to be a poor man's Andy much like Andy often looked like a poor man's Ben Wallace last year - that is before Ben got hurt.

But let's not count our chickens ...
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#207 » by Rise Against » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:55 pm

Heath,

If I was a bandwagoner, I wouldn't be posting on here consistently.. Hell, I wouldn't even have made an account to begin with. I am only here for the discussions, nothing more. Now I would think it is fine to come up with ideas of players who may be available, but the fact that you do it all the time makes it seem like everything you post is just your fantasies.. Yet, there is no validation from any credible sources.

About the Cavs situation, just because the Cavs are the most active in the trade market, doesn't mean that Andy is a piece to be moved, especially when we signed him to a 5 year contract over the summer. The Cavs love having him as part of the team, and LeBron loves him.. There is no way he is available for a trade. If it so happens, then you made me eat crow, and you are right for once..
heathmalc
Analyst

Post#208 » by heathmalc » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:50 am

Exile23 wrote:Heath,

If I was a band-wagoner, I wouldn't be posting on here consistently.. Hell, I wouldn't even have made an account to begin with. I am only here for the discussions, nothing more. Now I would think it is fine to come up with ideas of players who may be available, but the fact that you do it all the time makes it seem like everything you post is just your fantasies.. Yet, there is no validation from any credible sources.

About the Cavs situation, just because the Cavs are the most active in the trade market, doesn't mean that Andy is a piece to be moved, especially when we signed him to a 5 year contract over the summer. The Cavs love having him as part of the team, and LeBron loves him.. There is no way he is available for a trade. If it so happens, then you made me eat crow, and you are right for once..

Okay, perhaps I used the wrong word when I said Band-wagoner, as it is usually reserved for unscrupulous fans who are fans one minute then non fans the next. My apologies.

Yes, some of my ramblings tend to learn toward the side of a fantasy. However, there are actually very few posts that i have made of this sort...it's just that they are remembered and referenced by posters who remember them, whenever I make a post they may see as "Impossible." I could write a story in the Courier about a wire report, but since I live 8 months of the year in Indiana, that makes it kinda wrong, to write about another state's NBA team when it has nothing to do with the NBA team that is only 45 minutes away from you. You follow?

I also didn't mean to infer that Andy was being shopped (I've heard no such thing.), however, he IS available for the right deal. And, it would not surprise me in the least bit if he was traded. There are a LOT of teams that would pay a king's ransom (pun intended) to get Andy in a trade. If that hypothetical trade partner offered a young 2-guard, who had all-star capabilities, then Andy would DEFINITELY be moved. Don't doubt this!!!

As for the poster who asked about Amare maybe being traded last season - Yes, you are right. In-fact, Amare, Shaq and Antawn Jamison were the main 3 players the Cavs had made significant offers for. However, Phoenix wanted more than we were willing to part with, and Pollin nixed a completed deal between the Cavs & Wizards involving Jamison. That being said; Amare is AVAILABLE right now!!!! It will take young,cheap talent, possibly some expiring(s), and MONEY to get him. The Cavs easily have the needed assets to acquire him.
We the People...
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#209 » by Rise Against » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:55 am

You're right.. Andy is not being shopped at all, but the fact that he would be available for the "right deal" doesn't strike me. I don't think any team would want to take on his contract, nor would the Cavs be looking to move him at all, seeing that he is a valuable asset to the team. Now with that being said, I can agree that Jamison is someone who we should be trying to get.. Amare on the other hand, I doubt that we are able get him. The only thing we can offer is expiring contracts and cap relief.. Phoenix can get a much better deal than what we can offer.

In other words, I do think the Cavs will make a move at the deadline and I sure hope so. However, we should really try to coming up with trades that are actually realistic and not something as easy as trading in NBA 2K10.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,726

Post#210 » by Benedict_Boozer » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:29 am

mg wrote:LeBron and Andy are 1-2 in the entire NBA in +/-.

Andy isn't getting traded unless someone very, very special is coming back in the deal. In other words Andy is not getting dealt.

Yeah I actually have no desire to trade Andy whatsoever. His impact is huge on this team and he plays great with LBJ (and he can play both PF & C)

The fact he is busting it so hard AFTER signing a big deal, those are the kind of guys you build around.
kiwibrindle
Starter
And1: 80

Post#211 » by kiwibrindle » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:33 pm

put me on the side that says Andy is avalable if the right deal is found.

Also, Last nights game against the Raprors confirmed it for me. If I can stay away from big contracts this year and have enough cap space for two superstars next year I pick Flash over Bosh anyday. We need a 2 much more than a 4 .

More proof for sure.

Conclusion See what Powe brings and wait for the right deal for a super one year contract or older 2 or a younger stud.

Monte Ellis?
Kirk Hinrich?
Iggy
Courtney lee?
Kevin Martin?
OJ Mayo?
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,082

Post#212 » by mg » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:59 pm

^ Noone ever mentions Courtney Lee but after watching him in the playoffs last year think he would be a nice fit at SG. He's not a 'star' but would do all the little things required to win not to mention he's a decade younger than Parker. From what I've read most of the Nets players could be available but not sure what they would want from the Cavs. Since they will be rebuilding I could see them asking for JJ but that's a deal the Cavs might not be interested in.

As for realistic trade possibilities outside of the usual suspects Murphy and Jamison (and I think Washington at this point does not want to trade AJ esp to the Cavs), maybe Ferry will try to fill 2 needs before the deadline. I could see Rip/Villanueva possibly come available in Detroit or J-Rich/Frye in Phx. Apparently Amare could possibly be available but since the Cavs best trade chips are expiring contracts and Amare is an expiring I don't see any realistic deal on that front.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,891

Post#213 » by mcfly1204 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:32 pm

There was a recent article about how Atlanta could look to shop JJ if they feel he is bolting in the offseason. However, they would probably want a young prospect, expirings, and a pick.
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Triumph36
Starter

Post#214 » by Triumph36 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:59 pm

mcfly1204 wrote:There was a recent article about how Atlanta could look to shop JJ if they feel he is bolting in the offseason. However, they would probably want a young prospect, expirings, and a pick.
Given how well they've been playing, I really don't think he'll talk about his off-season plans before the deadline.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,482

Post#215 » by JonFromVA » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:23 pm

heathmalc wrote:...

I also didn't mean to infer that Andy was being shopped (I've heard no such thing.), however, he IS available for the right deal.

There are a LOT of teams that would pay a king's ransom (pun intended) to get Andy in a trade. If that hypothetical trade partner offered a young 2-guard, who had all-star capabilities, then Andy would DEFINITELY be moved. Don't doubt this!!!

That being said; Amare is AVAILABLE right now!!!! It will take young,cheap talent, possibly some expiring(s), and MONEY to get him. The Cavs easily have the needed assets to acquire him.

This is in a nutshell why Heath always gets in trouble on the boards. He constantly states opinions as if they're facts with nothing to back them up. It never bothered me, because I just add it for him in my mind; but a few more "I thinks", "In my opinions", or "I'm getting the feeling thats" would go a long way.

Anyway, back on topic.

It seems to me Chris Bosh may be the next Pau Gasol, where basically Bosh like Gasol is seen as soft for a big, not dominant enough to carry a team on his own, but good enough to keep his team from getting a good pick. The Raptors have been playing better of late, and they have a tough decision whether this is just yet another trade-deadline surge, or if the team as contructed can really contend. Will they shop him? And who will Bosh agree to sign with?

The Cavs can certainly make a decent offer, but it's not going to drop anyone dead, but if Bosh won't agree to re-sign with other teams who can make better offers, we may come away with a steal much like the Lakers did with Gasol thanks to the Kwame Brown contract.

Heck, the talk of an Anthony Randolph for Hickson swap may have been more about finding a young PF that better fit the Raptor's style, than improving our team.

The same line of reasoning could be applied to Amare as well, but I think he'd be willing to stay in Phoenix if they'd offer him the max, and his defensive lapses and injury problems do not make him as ideal of a fit.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers