TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Re: Game 67: Celtics @ Cavs 3/6/2023 

Post#21 » by TheLand13 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 3:05 am

afarmenian wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
afarmenian wrote:Another lucky team down 3 starters raining 3s down on the cavs

Everything is fine though. Otherwise you would have to be a troll to have serious concerns about this team

Who is out here saying that having serious concerns about the team makes you a troll?

Got a mirror?

Are you saying I did? I seem to remember calling you one before but it wasn’t for having serious concerns. Failing to understand why we traded for Mitchell after it being explained multiple times and openly disagreeing with facts is what you were doing.

We all have major concerns. Literally every single one of us. But we also understand that this isn’t the year, nor was it meant to be. Getting Mitchell was a long term investment, not a short term solution. I’m pretty happy that we’re already one of the top teams in the East despite the obvious holes in our roster and how young we are. If you aren’t, I don’t know what else to tell you.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 886

Post#22 » by ijspeelman » Tue Mar 7, 2023 3:28 am

afarmenian wrote:Well I'll keep the same energy regardless of the result they should have lost this game. And yet It shouldn't have been this close. There's no excuse to come out like that against a team where you know they're still formidable good and you know you badly need to win and then you come out so flat like it's detroit again it's very disappointing. They sat an mvp and their front court and should have had the win

I will say I have bagged on mitch a lot because of the fit mainly but we lose this game without him no doubt about it.

Maybe they should have garland be the one that comes out early and comes back with the bench so he can get a rhythm.

The nice thing is even though this is a disappointing win is that the Cavs were able to shake off the horrible first half and bring it home which we’ve kinda struggled at doing all season. We can always can get incredibly close, but not over the hurdle.

I’m taking my positives where I can get them even though I agree we should be blowing out this iteration of the Celtics
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#23 » by ijspeelman » Tue Mar 7, 2023 3:46 am

Also, I’d like to give JB some props for choosing Stevens over Allen to end the game. I was complaining as soon as we were at 4 minutes left and Allen wasn’t coming back in, but it paid off. Allen was having a garbage game up to that point, but I would normally still prefer an off-form to Stevens anytime, but he really was a huge difference maker.

Maybe Lamar’s the back-up big we’ll slot in occasionally?
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,756

Post#24 » by toooskies » Tue Mar 7, 2023 3:59 am

ijspeelman wrote:Also, I’d like to give JB some props for choosing Stevens over Allen to end the game. I was complaining as soon as we were at 4 minutes left and Allen wasn’t coming back in, but it paid off. Allen was having a garbage game up to that point, but I would normally still prefer an off-form to Stevens anytime, but he really was a huge difference maker.

I was early on the "Lamar is a 4" bandwagon!
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#25 » by TheLand13 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 4:01 am

I’m just thankful we’re at the point where our biggest problem is finding a way to build around our core. Garland/Mitchell/Mobley/Allen is such an incredibly talented young core to have. It’s definitely a lot easier to find the right pieces around all star level talent than it is to… you know, find all star level talent. We’re very fortunate that we have four players that fit this description.

Like I said before, this isn’t the year. But I know our time will come when we’re in the conference finals. Anything beyond that… only time will tell.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,628

Post#26 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 4:10 am

ijspeelman wrote:Also, I’d like to give JB some props for choosing Stevens over Allen to end the game. I was complaining as soon as we were at 4 minutes left and Allen wasn’t coming back in, but it paid off. Allen was having a garbage game up to that point, but I would normally still prefer an off-form to Stevens anytime, but he really was a huge difference maker.

I'm a little concerned the Cavs shot distribution looked exactly like what the Celtics wanted it to look like and it only backfired because Stevens is a hustle guy while they all had dead legs after last night's double overtime.

This roster needs at least one more shooter and JBB's probably not the guy to get us to the promised land. I don't know if there's a coach out there who Mitchell respects enough to listen to, but at some point he's really going to have to make more of an effort to get his teammates going early in big games.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 4:18 am

On the lighter side

Read on Twitter
?s=20
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#28 » by KuruptedCav » Tue Mar 7, 2023 4:36 am

Just going to enjoy Super Mobley. The steps he’s been taking are fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheLand13
Assistant Coach

Post#29 » by TheLand13 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 8:25 am

KuruptedCav wrote:Just going to enjoy Super Mobley. The steps he’s been taking are fun.

He’s had a terrific second half of the season. I love the development he’s made.
mcfly1204
General Manager
And1: 1,888

Post#30 » by mcfly1204 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 11:54 am

TheLand13 wrote:
KuruptedCav wrote:Just going to enjoy Super Mobley. The steps he’s been taking are fun.

He’s had a terrific second half of the season. I love the development he’s made.

That dunk he almost had off the quick spin in the lane... just the fact that he's going for those. He's going to dunk on a lot of people...
Well at least we're not Detroit!
Crunch 99
General Manager
And1: 3,713

Post#31 » by Crunch 99 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 2:33 pm

Mitchell regularly lights up the Celtics. He has his highest career ppg average playing against the Celtics at 29.6 ppg, not counting the small two game sample playing against the Jazz. He's averaging 37.5 ppg playing against the Celtics this season.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,444

Post#32 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 7, 2023 3:23 pm

I just seen the clip where Grant Williams was fouled with almost no time left then tells Mitchell he's gonna make both and bricked both of em, then they lose in OT. That's hilarious!
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,472

Post#33 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 7, 2023 4:16 pm

TheLand13 wrote:
afarmenian wrote:
TheLand13 wrote:
Who is out here saying that having serious concerns about the team makes you a troll?

Got a mirror?

Are you saying I did? I seem to remember calling you one before but it wasn’t for having serious concerns. Failing to understand why we traded for Mitchell after it being explained multiple times and openly disagreeing with facts is what you were doing.

We all have major concerns. Literally every single one of us. But we also understand that this isn’t the year, nor was it meant to be. Getting Mitchell was a long term investment, not a short term solution. I’m pretty happy that we’re already one of the top teams in the East despite the obvious holes in our roster and how young we are. If you aren’t, I don’t know what else to tell you.

We're Cleveland sports fans ... no year is the year ... it took a minor miracle for the Cavs to put an end to that 50+ year drought; this is supposed to the be the season we make the playoffs and learn what it means to play that level of basketball.

But if I wrote this team completely off, I wouldn't be watching these games. There's always a chance our team will surprise us ... whether it's like they did in 2007 when they embarrassed the Pistons and made the finals or 2016 when that 50+ year drought ended.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#34 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 7, 2023 5:13 pm

jbk1234 wrote:

I'm a little concerned the Cavs shot distribution looked exactly like what the Celtics wanted it to look like and it only backfired because Stevens is a hustle guy while they all had dead legs after last night's double overtime.

This roster needs at least one more shooter and JBB's probably not the guy to get us to the promised land. I don't know if there's a coach out there who Mitchell respects enough to listen to, but at some point he's really going to have to make more of an effort to get his teammates going early in big games.

Getting the other guys going is going to vary from game to game, opponent to opponent, and opponent game plan to game plan; but Darius is well equipped to handle that role as long as he doesn't settle.

Also we've made an investment in Ricky Rubio and perhaps even Danny Green ... two guys coming off a major injury that players may need two years to recover from (assuming they do). If JBB wasn't so locked in to his rotation, I'd love to see him give Neto some run to see how he'd do next to Mitchell when Garland is off; but seems we have ZERO lineup data for that pairing.

There's a number of things a player can do when the defense is ignoring them and I have no problem giving Lamar credit for using his energy to take advantage and bring the team a spark. Something players off the bench are supposed to do.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,444

Post#35 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Mar 7, 2023 5:56 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Getting the other guys going is going to vary from game to game, opponent to opponent, and opponent game plan to game plan; but Darius is well equipped to handle that role as long as he doesn't settle.

Also we've made an investment in Ricky Rubio and perhaps even Danny Green ... two guys coming off a major injury that players may need two years to recover from (assuming they do). If JBB wasn't so locked in to his rotation, I'd love to see him give Neto some run to see how he'd do next to Mitchell when Garland is off; but seems we have ZERO lineup data for that pairing.

There's a number of things a player can do when the defense is ignoring them and I have no problem giving Lamar credit for using his energy to take advantage and bring the team a spark. Something players off the bench are supposed to do.
Neto and Mitchell played 2 full seasons together on the Jazz, so it may not be team specific but I'm sure some data on the pair can be found.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by jbk1234 » Tue Mar 7, 2023 6:47 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'm at the point where I'm looking for what's scalable/repeatable, how our coaches are able to counter what the other team's are trying to do, etc. Predictive success is more important than a confluence of unusual factors working out in your favor. I'll take the W, they're always better than the Ls, but the sequence of events that occurred last night is unlikely to repeat itself in the post season.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#37 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 7, 2023 7:27 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

I'm at the point where I'm looking for what's scalable/repeatable, how our coaches are able to counter what the other team's are trying to do, etc. Predictive success is more important than a confluence of unusual factors working out in your favor. I'll take the W, they're always better than the Ls, but the sequence of events that occurred last night is unlikely to repeat itself in the post season.

The team is too young. Development, growth, and learning is still where we're at.

The bench must bring energy, and if Lamar (or Neto) can help make that happen then get them on the floor until the other guys match them.

Marcus Smart almost won the game on a last second tip-in because Garland appeared to be daydreaming on the other side of the floor - probably thinking about where he was going after the game. Allen could have been called for a line violation, btw.

Make that Junkyard Dog Chain mean something. I'm good with that.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#38 » by ijspeelman » Tue Mar 7, 2023 7:51 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

The team is too young. Development, growth, and learning is still where we're at.

The bench must bring energy, and if Lamar (or Neto) can help make that happen then get them on the floor until the other guys match them.

Marcus Smart almost won the game on a last second tip-in because Garland appeared to be daydreaming on the other side of the floor - probably thinking about where he was going after the game. Allen could have been called for a line violation, btw.

Or Garland and Mitchell were instructed to both leak out in case Williams made the last FT so they could be open for a shot with 0.8 seconds left.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#39 » by JonFromVA » Tue Mar 7, 2023 8:05 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:

Or Garland and Mitchell were instructed to both leak out in case Williams made the last FT so they could be open for a shot with 0.8 seconds left.

Alas, both Garland and Mitchell had moved inside the 3pt circle soon after the shot left William's hand. Whoever it was that was behind Mitchell (likely Brown) never got in the picture.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#40 » by ijspeelman » Tue Mar 7, 2023 9:15 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Alas, both Garland and Mitchell had moved inside the 3pt circle soon after the shot left William's hand. Whoever it was that was behind Mitchell (likely Brown) never got in the picture.

I'll be honest, I commented without rewatching the clip and now I'm a bit confused by their direction. It now looks like one was meant to get in front of Williams (probably Garland?) and idk what Mitchell was tasked to do (grab a long rebound?). Smart was wide open so I don't even know.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers