JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,444

Re: 2023-24 Off-Season 

Post#21 » by JujitsuFlip » Fri May 12, 2023 12:15 am

KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
The taxpayer portion of the MLE is the relevant language. It's for teams already in the tax and is roughly half of the standard MLE.
No, it is for any team who uses above the tax payer portion of the MLE, i parsed that portion out because it will obviously be higher once the MLE is $12.2 million this summer.

Wizards used above the taxpayer MLE but were not a tax paying team, were still hard capped by at the apron.

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/nba-2022-23-luxury-tax-tracker/

I struggle to find many plausible scenarios where a $170mil hard cap is a problem this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 13 guys (the 7 guaranteed players + all team options, non-guarantees, full MLE, BAE, and pick #49) Cavs are at about $144 million. LeVert's cap hold is $28.19 million, if he is re-signed his number will obviously be lower than that, idk by how much, hard to project.

So yeah, should have no issue staying below $170 million but they will be in the neighborhood for sure, if they plan to re- sign LeVert.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,472

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Fri May 12, 2023 3:54 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
The taxpayer portion of the MLE is the relevant language. It's for teams already in the tax and is roughly half of the standard MLE.
No, it is for any team who uses above the tax payer portion of the MLE, i parsed that portion out because it will obviously be higher once the MLE is $12.2 million this summer.

Wizards used above the taxpayer MLE but were not a tax paying team, were still hard capped by at the apron.

https://www.sportsbusinessclassroom.com/nba-2022-23-luxury-tax-tracker/

I struggle to find many plausible scenarios where a $170mil hard cap is a problem this year.

Looks to me like the Cavs have $116M tied up in 7 guaranteed contracts, assuming we decline Cedi's $6.7M option in June.

So, it appears to me to all come down to how we manage our cap holds. We'll likely have a better picture once everyone has had a chance to absorb the new CBA.
TheLand13
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,533

Post#23 » by TheLand13 » Sat May 13, 2023 1:16 pm

I have to say, it makes me feel pretty good as a Cavaliers fan to see how poorly New York fans are reacting to losing to Miami. I know that one is a legitimate let down considering how they just got done gentlemen sweeping one of the best teams in the East and then end up losing to the 8th seed, but if you go over to the general board and see how some of the Knicks fans are acting... like, jesus christ man. Losing in 5 was a massive disappointment for a lot of Cleveland fans but at least we reacted a lot better than this. Chill out.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#24 » by KuruptedCav » Sat May 13, 2023 2:46 pm

TheLand13 wrote:I have to say, it makes me feel pretty good as a Cavaliers fan to see how poorly New York fans are reacting to losing to Miami. I know that one is a legitimate let down considering how they just got done gentlemen sweeping one of the best teams in the East and then end up losing to the 8th seed, but if you go over to the general board and see how some of the Knicks fans are acting... like, jesus christ man. Losing in 5 was a massive disappointment for a lot of Cleveland fans but at least we reacted a lot better than this. Chill out.

Yeah. To be fair, we’re conditioned to let downs. But that was the annoyance watching the games. Knicks fans, who pay for the lower bowl, are annoying as hell.

JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#25 » by JonFromVA » Sat May 13, 2023 3:14 pm

TheLand13 wrote:I have to say, it makes me feel pretty good as a Cavaliers fan to see how poorly New York fans are reacting to losing to Miami. I know that one is a legitimate let down considering how they just got done gentlemen sweeping one of the best teams in the East and then end up losing to the 8th seed, but if you go over to the general board and see how some of the Knicks fans are acting... like, jesus christ man. Losing in 5 was a massive disappointment for a lot of Cleveland fans but at least we reacted a lot better than this. Chill out.

Can't say I've been following what Knicks fans have to say since our series, but my expectations are generally low for New Yorkers and there's a lot of them so the obnoxious is going to rise to the top. If you pay attention to the names, though, you will spot some really good/knowledgeable/reasonable fans amongst the masses.

Not to mention, game threads are the worst for over-reaction posts from any fan base (high emotions + drinking).
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#26 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 13, 2023 3:25 pm

The Knicks GB fans were all very classless when they beat the Cavs too. Saying Mobley and Garland suck, the Cavs suck, CLE sucks. Forget them, I'm beyond happy they lost and cried the whole series.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#27 » by JonFromVA » Sat May 13, 2023 4:09 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
The Knicks GB fans were all very classless when they beat the Cavs too. Saying Mobley and Garland suck, the Cavs suck, CLE sucks. Forget them, I'm beyond happy they lost and cried the whole series.

We did suck, and now they suck ... just how it goes for the 31 teams that come up short.

On the bright side, the areas of the roster that need to improve and the situations we need to handle better couldn't be more clear and still the Warriors are going home because the greatest shooter in basketball history shot 11 for 28.

So, what's our curveball on offense when our fastball (backcourt shooting) isn't getting the job done? It's not going to be rim running and cutting if our backcourt isn't able to force the defense to overplay them. Kevin Love was sometimes that guy who'd start burying shots and pick-up the slack, but he hasn't been that guy since hurting his shoulder.

We know we want it to be Evan Mobley, but we've only seen glimpses at this point of being able to run any offense through him let alone .vs. a playoff opponent able to pack the paint.

We needed Garland and Mitchell to play spectacularly well, and they were far from that.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#28 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 13, 2023 5:24 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

We did suck, and now they suck ... just how it goes for the 31 teams that come up short.

On the bright side, the areas of the roster that need to improve and the situations we need to handle better couldn't be more clear and still the Warriors are going home because the greatest shooter in basketball history shot 11 for 28.

So, what's our curveball on offense when our fastball (backcourt shooting) isn't getting the job done? It's not going to be rim running and cutting if our backcourt isn't able to force the defense to overplay them. Kevin Love was sometimes that guy who'd start burying shots and pick-up the slack, but he hasn't been that guy since hurting his shoulder.

We know we want it to be Evan Mobley, but we've only seen glimpses at this point of being able to run any offense through him let alone .vs. a playoff opponent able to pack the paint.

We needed Garland and Mitchell to play spectacularly well, and they were far from that.
Well shoot, i hope 31 teams don't come up short, since there are only 30 in the NBA lol j.k ik what ya meant.

I just think them saying RJ is only 22 he doesn't suck well apply the same logic to the Cavs roster, Mobley is 21 and Garland 23.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#29 » by JonFromVA » Sat May 13, 2023 6:02 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:The Knicks GB fans were all very classless when they beat the Cavs too. Saying Mobley and Garland suck, the Cavs suck, CLE sucks. Forget them, I'm beyond happy they lost and cried the whole series.

Well shoot, i hope 31 teams don't come up short, since there are only 30 in the NBA lol j.k ik what ya meant.

I just think them saying RJ is only 22 he doesn't suck well apply the same logic to the Cavs roster, Mobley is 21 and Garland 23.

Of course, but a lot of fans are going to conclude what we're seeing is what these players are and troll the gb when they flop.

Realistically if a young player is helping you win at a championship level they are typically being used in a way that hides their inexperience and leverages their strengths.

And the real challenge of the playoffs isn't beating a team like the Knicks, but rather a battle tested veteran team led by a coach who has successfully adapted and overcome challenges, and perhaps even won at some point.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#30 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 13, 2023 7:04 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Of course, but a lot of fans are going to conclude what we're seeing is what these players are and troll the gb when they flop.

Realistically if a young player is helping you win at a championship level they are typically being used in a way that hides their inexperience and leverages their strengths.

And the real challenge of the playoffs isn't beating a team like the Knicks, but rather a battle tested veteran team led by a coach who has successfully adapted and overcome challenges, and perhaps even won at some point.

I agree with you but dang, Cavs gotta find a way to beat teams like the Knicks in a 7 game series first before they can even tackle a hurdle like competing with a battle tested veteran team led by a coach who has successfully adapted and overcome challenges, and perhaps even won at some point.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,628

Post#31 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 14, 2023 1:43 am

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Turned out to be an insurmountable challenge this year.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#32 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun May 14, 2023 2:12 am

Monty was just fired, Cavs should go get him for sure.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#33 » by JonFromVA » Sun May 14, 2023 5:31 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Well shoot, i hope 31 teams don't come up short, since there are only 30 in the NBA lol j.k ik what ya meant.

I agree with you but dang, Cavs gotta find a way to beat teams like the Knicks in a 7 game series first before they can even tackle a hurdle like competing with a battle tested veteran team led by a coach who has successfully adapted and overcome challenges, and perhaps even won at some point.

Sure do. It's a process and hopefully it's clear there's no cheat code. You don't win a playoff round because you have a better record.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 886

Post#34 » by ijspeelman » Sun May 14, 2023 7:09 pm

We’d benefit from potentially signing DiVincenzo. Supposedly he’s opting out of his Warriors deal
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#35 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun May 14, 2023 8:24 pm

ijspeelman wrote:We’d benefit from potentially signing DiVincenzo. Supposedly he’s opting out of his Warriors deal
I just wonder how much he wants.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#36 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 15, 2023 2:18 pm

Seems like a great time to have an opening at head coach - I just wonder if any of them would be interested in the job given the puzzle of a roster we have - and if any of them will be left on the market if the Cavs get off to an awful start next season.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#37 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon May 15, 2023 2:30 pm

JonFromVA wrote:Seems like a great time to have an opening at head coach - I just wonder if any of them would be interested in the job given the puzzle of a roster we have - and if any of them will be left on the market if the Cavs get off to an awful start next season.

Probably not, the timing for deciding to retain JB couldn't be worse.

On the flipside, it doesn't mean any of Bud, Monty, Nurse or any other candidate would pick CLE.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#38 » by JonFromVA » Mon May 15, 2023 3:04 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:Seems like a great time to have an opening at head coach - I just wonder if any of them would be interested in the job given the puzzle of a roster we have - and if any of them will be left on the market if the Cavs get off to an awful start next season.

Probably not, the timing for deciding to retain JB couldn't be worse.

On the flipside, it doesn't mean any of Bud, Monty, Nurse or any other candidate would pick CLE.

Right, they may not pick us, and if DG is still a factor - he's always preferred to hire people who "haven't failed already" and with Altman/Gansey running things that might mean they'd go with someone who's with or who's been with the organization.

Another oddity is that DG has never leveraged his wealth to just buy us a coach or a GM, but another one of his sayings is that "money follows; it does not lead" ... meaning he wants people who are fired up and motivated to the do job by something other than the money. But given what happened with David Griffin, maybe he was just cheap and meddlesome.
KuruptedCav
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#39 » by KuruptedCav » Mon May 15, 2023 4:23 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:We’d benefit from potentially signing DiVincenzo. Supposedly he’s opting out of his Warriors deal

Where’s he play?

toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,756

Post#40 » by toooskies » Mon May 15, 2023 4:44 pm

KuruptedCav wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Where’s he play?

No reason to go after him unless we trade one of our guards. We have bigger holes at the 3/4/5, and DiVincenzo isn't the guy to start at the 3.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers