Game 77: Cavs @ Hawks 3/28/2023

Moderator: ijspeelman

toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,728

Re: Game 77: Cavs @ Hawks 3/28/2023 

Post#21 » by toooskies » Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:16 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:We have two days off. I'm fine with JBB getting the guys ready to play extended minutes in the playoffs. NBA players used to play 40 minutes all the time.

Garland is not a 40 mpg player. You could tell he was gassed at the end of the game. Even Mobley looked a half second slow in the last five minutes. There's no getting guys ready who just aren't built for it.

Sure, and testing whether they can before the playoffs is really useful knowledge before you get there. Sports is littered with guys doing things you didn't think they could do.

Sometimes you have to let guys try and fail in order to communicate to them their own limitations. So when we play Donovan for 40 and Darius for 36, Darius isn't sitting there in his head wondering why. And maybe Darius goes into this offseason trying to improve his endurance.

There's plenty to learn about a young team to get them ready to play. It's not all about health. This isn't the Lebron-era Cavs. This is a team figuring out how to do it.

Not that guys need to be playing when they're injured like Isaac or Jarrett, but if we start playing guys 28 minutes a night instead of their regular workload, maybe they lose a gear going into the playoffs.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,462

Re: Game 77: Cavs @ Hawks 3/28/2023 

Post#22 » by JonFromVA » Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:40 pm

We've been playing Darius entire second halves on an as needed basis for what seems like a long-time to me. He's been able to manage fine, but having to chase Trae around and a slightly faster pace could have pushed him over the edge? Can't say I noticed.

My main concern is the shooting. Darius hasn't shot particularly well since the quad injury earlier in the month .vs. Miami. Whether it's his eye, finger, or quad ... just always seems like something is dinged up and throwing him just a bit off.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers