2023-24 Regular Season

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,448

Re: 2023-24 Regular Season 

Post#1821 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:05 pm

Cavs sign Zhaire Smith to a 10 day.

Cool to see him back on a NBA roster, he last played a NBA game on February 7th, 2020.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1822 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Feb 11, 2024 6:07 pm

CPJ has 4 games of eligibility left on his Two-way so this 10 day contract allows them to kick the can down the road until March 5th (assuming they don't sign Smith to another deal after the 10 days).
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 889

Post#1823 » by ijspeelman » Wed Feb 14, 2024 12:42 am

Read on Twitter
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1824 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:55 am

ijspeelman wrote:
Read on Twitter
Ayeeeee there we go, about time they rewarded him. Wonder if the structure looks something like GG Jackson's.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,482

Post#1825 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 14, 2024 3:21 pm

And the big question, will JBB play him (short of injury or garbage time)?

Seems unlikely given how Sam is getting squeezed and Garland's minutes are still being limited.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1826 » by ijspeelman » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:19 pm

JonFromVA wrote:And the big question, will JBB play him (short of injury or garbage time)?

Seems unlikely given how Sam is getting squeezed and Garland's minutes are still being limited.

I assume he'll still be a utility piece this season. I am more curious how they fit him in in the future
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1827 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Feb 14, 2024 5:29 pm

They also probably shoulda dumped TJ at the deadline and attached a 2nd rounder, if this was the plan.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1828 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 14, 2024 6:11 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:They also probably shoulda dumped TJ at the deadline and attached a 2nd rounder, if this was the plan.

Maybe if TJ's contract was preventing us from bringing in someone who could help, but why waste an asset (maybe two) when that isn't the case?

I'm not convinced Jerome is redundant given our past injury problems, but if he is; why not wait for him to get healthy, and maybe trade him for a 2nd round pick?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1829 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:32 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:They also probably shoulda dumped TJ at the deadline and attached a 2nd rounder, if this was the plan.

Maybe if TJ's contract was preventing us from bringing in someone who could help, but why waste an asset (maybe two) when that isn't the case?

I'm not convinced Jerome is redundant given our past injury problems, but if he is; why not wait for him to get healthy, and maybe trade him for a 2nd round pick?
I just want the flexibility of his roster spot since they didn't kick TT off the team lol
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,764

Post#1830 » by toooskies » Wed Feb 14, 2024 7:51 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I just want the flexibility of his roster spot since they didn't kick TT off the team lol

Why would we need his roster spot? We already have an open full contract (which Smith is occupying on his 10-day) and an open two-way (CPJ's former spot).

The buyout market is pretty bleak. (I'd look into Gallinari, but he'd be crowding Wade and Niang in terms of role.)
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1831 » by JujitsuFlip » Wed Feb 14, 2024 10:26 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Why would we need his roster spot? We already have an open full contract (which Smith is occupying on his 10-day) and an open two-way (CPJ's former spot).

The buyout market is pretty bleak. (I'd look into Gallinari, but he'd be crowding Wade and Niang in terms of role.)
With how last playoffs went, i say the more the merrier. Doubtful TJ plays again this season.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1832 » by toooskies » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Got him for a bargain. Plenty of room to add another guy.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1833 » by JonFromVA » Wed Feb 14, 2024 11:44 pm

Fun fact I dished out on the gb:

Dean Wade currently leads the Cavaliers by a wide margin as far as the team's defensive rating when he's on the floor at 105.5 pp100.

As far as the next best number, it belongs to none other than Donovan Mitchell. The Cavs have a defensive rating of 109.0 pp100 when he's on the floor.

As far as the guys actually known for their defense:

Jarrett Allen: 111.5
Evan Mobley: 110.6
Isaac Okoro: 110.3

I get a lot of fans can't come to grip with on/off numbers that don't tell them what they want to hear, but in my experience it's pretty hard for these stats to go whacky for a player that's played in most of the games, a majority of the minutes, and with a lot of different units.

DnD bringing the best D.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#1834 » by JujitsuFlip » Thu Feb 15, 2024 12:30 am

toooskies wrote:
Read on Twitter

Especially bc his year 1 is probably prorated too.

Quite a snag, they will make him prove himself every year.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#1835 » by ijspeelman » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:07 am

toooskies wrote:
Read on Twitter

I like it a lot. A lot of team control on a very team-friendly contract. Could be a bargain extremely soon
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1836 » by toooskies » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:45 am

JonFromVA wrote:Fun fact I dished out on the gb:

Dean Wade currently leads the Cavaliers by a wide margin as far as the team's defensive rating when he's on the floor at 105.5 pp100.

As far as the next best number, it belongs to none other than Donovan Mitchell. The Cavs have a defensive rating of 109.0 pp100 when he's on the floor.

I get a lot of fans can't come to grip with on/off numbers that don't tell them what they want to hear, but in my experience it's pretty hard for these stats to go whacky for a player that's played in most of the games, a majority of the minutes, and with a lot of different units.

DnD bringing the best D.

Defensive Rating is a metric that accounts for how well your team does when you're on the court. Having a high DRTG doesn't necessarily mean you're the good defender, but you're always in lineups that work well as a team defense. Having the best DRTG on your team, though, can mean you're a key cog to the team defense, or at least you only play in strong defensive lineups.

But his DRTG is way better than the best defenses in the league, and better than the worst offenses in the league by a significant amount.

Wade probably scores unexpectedly well because he's almost always paired with Allen or Mobley. His minutes ramped up when we played against some of the softer teams in the league. And he shared a lot of minutes in the Mitchell/Strus/Okoro/Wade/Allen starting lineup which was shutting teams down to start the game on a near-nightly basis.

That said, metrics that take into account matchup difficulty and lineups still like Wade. Dean Wade is #16 overall and the #1 "wing stopper" in the D-LEBRON metric.

He's 15th overall in D-EPM, another advanced stat that also takes into account opponents, matchups, lineups, etc.

He's playing really, really well on the defensive end by pretty much every measurement tool we have. Coincidence? Possibly. But it sure looked like a real void when he was absent against the Sixers.
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1837 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 15, 2024 4:02 pm

toooskies wrote:

DnD bringing the best D.

Defensive Rating is a metric that accounts for how well your team does when you're on the court. Having a high DRTG doesn't necessarily mean you're the good defender, but you're always in lineups that work well as a team defense. Having the best DRTG on your team, though, can mean you're a key cog to the team defense, or at least you only play in strong defensive lineups.

But his DRTG is way better than the best defenses in the league, and better than the worst offenses in the league by a significant amount.

Wade probably scores unexpectedly well because he's almost always paired with Allen or Mobley. His minutes ramped up when we played against some of the softer teams in the league. And he shared a lot of minutes in the Mitchell/Strus/Okoro/Wade/Allen starting lineup which was shutting teams down to start the game on a near-nightly basis.

That said, metrics that take into account matchup difficulty and lineups still like Wade. Dean Wade is #16 overall and the #1 "wing stopper" in the D-LEBRON metric.

He's 15th overall in D-EPM, another advanced stat that also takes into account opponents, matchups, lineups, etc.

He's playing really, really well on the defensive end by pretty much every measurement tool we have. Coincidence? Possibly. But it sure looked like a real void when he was absent against the Sixers.

That post was targeted at a GB Donovan Mitchell thread where there are still some people who don't trust he plays any defense. That Don has played so many games in so many lineups strengthens his case quite a bit. An individual bad defender will drag down a defense, for it to be even good with a bad defender requires scheming, but that bad defender is still going to end up with a bad defensive rating compared to teammates.

That Dean has our best defensive rating is certainly worth exploring too and he has been getting some recognition from people who notice this stuff like Zach Lowe.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1838 » by toooskies » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:19 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:

DnD bringing the best D.

That post was targeted at a GB Donovan Mitchell thread where there are still some people who don't trust he plays any defense. That Don has played so many games in so many lineups strengthens his case quite a bit. An individual bad defender will drag down a defense, for it to be even good with a bad defender requires scheming, but that bad defender is still going to end up with a bad defensive rating compared to teammates.

That Dean has our best defensive rating is certainly worth exploring too and he has been getting some recognition from people who notice this stuff like Zach Lowe.

Yeah, my post is a copy of myself from Reddit to a guy who just doesn't understand that Dean Wade is good at defense. (Honestly, I had a hard time contemplating how his numbers are this good and yet so far under the radar.)
JonFromVA
RealGM

Post#1839 » by JonFromVA » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:29 pm

toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:Defensive Rating is a metric that accounts for how well your team does when you're on the court. Having a high DRTG doesn't necessarily mean you're the good defender, but you're always in lineups that work well as a team defense. Having the best DRTG on your team, though, can mean you're a key cog to the team defense, or at least you only play in strong defensive lineups.

Yeah, my post is a copy of myself from Reddit to a guy who just doesn't understand that Dean Wade is good at defense. (Honestly, I had a hard time contemplating how his numbers are this good and yet so far under the radar.)

Hopefully Dean gets well quick, it's not easy to tell exactly why we've been struggling these past couple of games, but missing Dean is certainly a possibility.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#1840 » by toooskies » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:35 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

Hopefully Dean gets well quick, it's not easy to tell exactly why we've been struggling these past couple of games, but missing Dean is certainly a possibility.

Well, he's got a week. All-Star break and all.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers