Re: Game 40: Cavs @ Hawks 1/20/2024 

Post#2 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:11 am

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

Post#3 » by ijspeelman » Sun Jan 21, 2024 2:58 am

The Cavs continue to impress… I’ll be honest this is not the worst team and still blew’em out
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,592

Post#4 » by jbk1234 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:33 am

Why didn't LeVert play?
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,434

Post#5 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:17 am

jbk1234 wrote:Why didn't LeVert play?
Right wrist sprain.
JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,465

Post#6 » by JonFromVA » Sun Jan 21, 2024 5:01 pm

ijspeelman wrote:The Cavs continue to impress… I’ll be honest this is not the worst team and still blew’em out

Another schedule loss for the other team (team didn't get back to ATL until 4am), but better them than us for a change.

Hawk's announcers were surprised how difficult some of Sam's shots were, but he exploited the defenses fear of his shot well with a bunch of assists.

Such a pleasure to watch.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#7 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:02 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
ijspeelman wrote:The Cavs continue to impress… I’ll be honest this is not the worst team and still blew’em out

Another schedule loss for the other team (team didn't get back to ATL until 4am), but better them than us for a change.

Hawk's announcers were surprised how difficult some of Sam's shots were, but he exploited the defenses fear of his shot well with a bunch of assists.

Hopefully the guy can still get minutes when Garland and Mobley come back.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,237

Post#8 » by Iwasawitness » Sun Jan 21, 2024 9:38 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I want to say he's pretty much earned a permanent role in the rotation, but then I think back to CPJ getting almost no minutes after three straight 20 point performances because he had one bad game...
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#9 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:05 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
JonFromVA wrote:

I want to say he's pretty much earned a permanent role in the rotation, but then I think back to CPJ getting almost no minutes after three straight 20 point performances because he had one bad game...
I think purely from a numbers perspective, he's on the outside looking in.

1. Garland
2. Mitchell
3. Strus
4. Mobley
5. Allen
6. LeVert
7. Okoro
8. Wade
9. Niang
10. TT

I don't see when healthy, who Merrill takes minutes away from and that's if Jb goes 10 deep, which is extremely rare. Because if they need another ball handler for minutes it would be CPJ/TJ.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

Post#10 » by ijspeelman » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:38 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Hopefully the guy can still get minutes when Garland and Mobley come back.

1. Garland
2. Mitchell
3. Strus
4. Mobley
5. Allen
6. LeVert
7. Okoro
8. Wade
9. Niang
10. TT

I don't see when healthy, who Merrill takes minutes away from and that's if Jb goes 10 deep, which is extremely rare. Because if they need another ball handler for minutes it would be CPJ/TJ.

Comparing Merrill and CPJ, I think Merrill gives more to the team than CPJ currently. I think CPJ is a good player, but his current flaws are far from perfect on our roster. I think on most nights where you don't need the third big, Merrill should slot in front of TT (and arguably could pass Okoro/Niang/Wade for specific match-ups). Merrill is a good tool at JB's disposal whereas I think CPJ and a few of the other bench guys aren't as versatile into some teams.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,735

Post#11 » by toooskies » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:55 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Hopefully the guy can still get minutes when Garland and Mobley come back.

1. Garland
2. Mitchell
3. Strus
4. Mobley
5. Allen
6. LeVert
7. Okoro
8. Wade
9. Niang
10. TT

I definitely have Merrill above Niang. Merrill is a better shooter with fewer defensive liabilities. I'd probably cut Strus and LeVert below 30 minutes a night until Merrill is getting 15-20, too.

And if he isn't in the rotation, use him as trade sweetener. Merrill and somebody for one of the Lakers' forwards.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#12 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:43 am

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

1. Garland
2. Mitchell
3. Strus
4. Mobley
5. Allen
6. LeVert
7. Okoro
8. Wade
9. Niang
10. TT

I definitely have Merrill above Niang. Merrill is a better shooter with fewer defensive liabilities. I'd probably cut Strus and LeVert below 30 minutes a night until Merrill is getting 15-20, too.

And if he isn't in the rotation, use him as trade sweetener. Merrill and somebody for one of the Lakers' forwards.
Merrill can't play the 4, like Niang does.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#13 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 22, 2024 4:49 am

ijspeelman wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

1. Garland
2. Mitchell
3. Strus
4. Mobley
5. Allen
6. LeVert
7. Okoro
8. Wade
9. Niang
10. TT

Comparing Merrill and CPJ, I think Merrill gives more to the team than CPJ currently. I think CPJ is a good player, but his current flaws are far from perfect on our roster. I think on most nights where you don't need the third big, Merrill should slot in front of TT (and arguably could pass Okoro/Niang/Wade for specific match-ups). Merrill is a good tool at JB's disposal whereas I think CPJ and a few of the other bench guys aren't as versatile into some teams.
Jb has never used players situationally to take advantage of matchups, so i don't envision he would start now.

If Merrill can make his way into Jb's top 8, when the team is healthy, is the only way he's guaranteed consistent minutes.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#14 » by toooskies » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:25 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I think purely from a numbers perspective, he's on the outside looking in.

1. Garland
2. Mitchell
3. Strus
4. Mobley
5. Allen
6. LeVert
7. Okoro
8. Wade
9. Niang
10. TT

Won't need to when Mobley is back.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#15 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:31 am

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:I definitely have Merrill above Niang. Merrill is a better shooter with fewer defensive liabilities. I'd probably cut Strus and LeVert below 30 minutes a night until Merrill is getting 15-20, too.

Merrill can't play 3 either, due to his slight build.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by toooskies » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:33 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Merrill can't play the 4, like Niang does.

He won't need to with one of Strus, Okoro, or LeVert out there.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#17 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:45 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Won't need to when Mobley is back.

If those guys are out there, Merrill isn't in the rotation...

Garland 34 MPG
Mitchell 35.6 MPG

That leaves 14 MPG at the 1 and 12.4 MPG at the 2. LeVert plays 28.8 MPG off the bench, do the math.

With Jb as head coach and when the team gets healthy, Merrill is not in the rotation.

You think he's above a PF in the rotation, that line of thinking makes less than zero sense.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#18 » by toooskies » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:14 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Merrill can't play 3 either, due to his slight build.

Garland 34 MPG
Mitchell 35.6 MPG

That leaves 14 MPG at the 1 and 12.4 MPG at the 2. LeVert plays 28.8 MPG off the bench, do the math.

With Jb as head coach and when the team gets healthy, Merrill is not in the rotation.

You think he's above a PF in the rotation, that line of thinking makes less than zero sense.

I did also say to cut the minutes of LeVert and Strus. (I'd probably also shave a few minutes off of Garland and Mitchell's loads as well.)

But it isn't like JBB wouldn't try LeVert or Strus at PF for stretches. He did that in the playoffs last year with LeVert and Cedi as the 3/4.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#19 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:00 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:He won't need to with one of Strus, Okoro, or LeVert out there.

Garland 34 MPG
Mitchell 35.6 MPG

I did also say to cut the minutes of LeVert and Strus. (I'd probably also shave a few minutes off of Garland and Mitchell's loads as well.)

But it isn't like JBB wouldn't try LeVert or Strus at PF for stretches. He did that in the playoffs last year with LeVert and Cedi as the 3/4.
But cut minutes off guys at SF? Again, it's not adding up.

Jb has never tried a guy as tiny as Merrill at PF, because it would be a disaster lol
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by toooskies » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:18 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:If those guys are out there, Merrill isn't in the rotation...

Garland 34 MPG
Mitchell 35.6 MPG

But cut minutes off guys at SF? Again, it's not adding up.

Jb has never tried a guy as tiny as Merrill at PF, because it would be a disaster lol

I wasn't saying to play Merrill at PF, I was saying to play LeVert or Strus as the defender of the other team's PF. Here's a minutes breakdown:

Garland 32/Merrill 16
Mitchell 34/LeVert 14
Strus 20/Okoro 20/LeVert 8
Mobley 20/Wade 10-18/Strus 0-8
Allen 30/Mobley 10/TT 8

In the playoffs we might tighten that up where Mobley and Allen take all of TT's minutes, but unless we're desperate for ballhandling I'd rather cut LeVert's minutes more than Merrill's.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers