Post#2 » by JujitsuFlip » Mon Jan 29, 2024 11:49 pm

He's back!
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,588

Re: Game 44: Clippers @ Cavs 1/29/2023 

Post#3 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:22 am

Mobley looks a little rusty. This is the first game we missed TT. I loved that pick by Niang on Theil.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
Iwasawitness
Veteran
And1: 3,234

Post#4 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:39 am

Had a lot of fun attending this one with old college friends. They’re on a roll and are the hottest team in the NBA. What a season so far.
xxSnEaKyPxx wrote:NBA: Stop kicking, punching, choking, and stomping on people.

Draymond: This is too much, I quit!
JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,433

Post#5 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:55 am

Poor Merrill.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,735

Post#6 » by toooskies » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:38 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:Poor Merrill.

Did he get hurt?
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#7 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Jan 30, 2024 4:58 am

toooskies wrote:

Did he get hurt?
No he just fell outta Jb's rotation, as i said he would lol
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by toooskies » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:06 am

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Did he get hurt?

Just really odd that your first reaction to a win over the other hottest team in the league is to bemoan the coach for benching a guy who is mostly about his shooting and couldn't get a shot off (or any other statistical contribution). I haven't watched the game yet, will probably get to it tomorrow, but it seems pretty straightforward, especially with the Clippers being so strong on the wings.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#9 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:26 am

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Did he get hurt?

Just really odd that your first reaction to a win over the other hottest team in the league is to bemoan the coach for benching a guy who is mostly about his shooting and couldn't get a shot off (or any other statistical contribution). I haven't watched the game yet, will probably get to it tomorrow, but it seems pretty straightforward, especially with the Clippers being so strong on the wings.
Seems really odd that a coach in his 5th NBA season as head coach can't figure out how to play more than 8 guys in a regular season rotation.

I love the regular season win, it's super duper cool, pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Sam goes from averaging 22 MPG with 13 PPG on 43% from deep on 8 attempts/game and all the knucklehead Jb can muster is 7:17 bc someone came back from injury yet is on a minutes restriction and another guy just got suspended for 25 games and the 10 day contract guy's contract ran out.

Jb is so predictable, anyone coulda predicted this was coming yet there you were saying Sam was above Niang in the 8 man rotation... Yeah, about that.

Sam has people writing articles like the below about him yet he's glued to the bench, brilliant coaching and rotations lmfao

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/1/26/24050272/sam-merrill-cleveland-cavaliers-3-point-shooting

https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/news/how-sam-merrill-has-helped-evolve-cleveland-cavaliers-offense
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#10 » by toooskies » Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:40 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:No he just fell outta Jb's rotation, as i said he would lol

Seems really odd that a coach in his 5th NBA season as head coach can't figure out how to play more than 8 guys in a regular season rotation.

I love the regular season win, it's super duper cool, pretty pointless in the grand scheme of things.

Sam goes from averaging 22 MPG with 13 PPG on 43% from deep on 8 attempts/game and all the knucklehead Jb can muster is 7:17 bc someone came back from injury yet is on a minutes restriction and another guy just got suspended for 25 games and the 10 day contract guy's contract ran out.

Jb is so predictable, anyone coulda predicted this was coming yet there you were saying Sam was above Niang in the 8 man rotation... Yeah, about that.

Sam has people writing articles like the below about him yet he's glued to the bench, brilliant coaching and rotations lmfao

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2024/1/26/24050272/sam-merrill-cleveland-cavaliers-3-point-shooting

https://www.si.com/nba/cavaliers/news/how-sam-merrill-has-helped-evolve-cleveland-cavaliers-offense

From some comments on Reddit, sounds like Westbrook was cooking Sam so bad on isos that we couldn't afford to keep playing him. So JBB adjusted.
Iwasawitness
Veteran

Post#11 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:41 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:

Did he get hurt?

I already said this in the other thread, but I don’t think he fell out of the rotation. Clippers are a very lengthy defensive team with good personal at that end and he struggled to get open looks as a result. And on defense he was exposed by multiple players. Cavaliers were actually playing at their worst on both ends when he played. Bickerstaff to his credit realized this and opted not to play him for the rest of the game.

I can see Merrill being back for the next game against the Pistons. And hopefully that’s the case.

Iwasawitness
Veteran

Post#12 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:42 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Just really odd that your first reaction to a win over the other hottest team in the league is to bemoan the coach for benching a guy who is mostly about his shooting and couldn't get a shot off (or any other statistical contribution). I haven't watched the game yet, will probably get to it tomorrow, but it seems pretty straightforward, especially with the Clippers being so strong on the wings.

From some comments on Reddit, sounds like Westbrook was cooking Sam so bad on isos that we couldn't afford to keep playing him. So JBB adjusted.

That’s pretty much what it was. Was at the game last night and it was one of the things I noticed.

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,465

Post#13 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:57 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

I already said this in the other thread, but I don’t think he fell out of the rotation. Clippers are a very lengthy defensive team with good personal at that end and he struggled to get open looks as a result. And on defense he was exposed by multiple players. Cavaliers were actually playing at their worst on both ends when he played. Bickerstaff to his credit realized this and opted not to play him for the rest of the game.

I can see Merrill being back for the next game against the Pistons. And hopefully that’s the case.

The second unit was -9 in the first half, and +7 in the second half.

You won't find me complaining about an adjustment that actually seemed to be needed (going bigger) and worked.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:24 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Just really odd that your first reaction to a win over the other hottest team in the league is to bemoan the coach for benching a guy who is mostly about his shooting and couldn't get a shot off (or any other statistical contribution). I haven't watched the game yet, will probably get to it tomorrow, but it seems pretty straightforward, especially with the Clippers being so strong on the wings.

Not only was Westbrook getting the better of him, but the Clippers were really staying inside his shirt.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:25 pm

Best win of the season aided by Lue deciding to go 5 out to close the game with Allen still on the floor.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#16 » by JujitsuFlip » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:28 pm

Iwasawitness wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:

Garland is back next game, so we'll see. Much like CPJ, i think we've saw the last of Merrill but time will tell.
toooskies
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by toooskies » Tue Jan 30, 2024 5:34 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

Garland is back next game, so we'll see. Much like CPJ, i think we've saw the last of Merrill but time will tell.

With some back-to-backs coming up I think we should see 10 or 11 guys in the rotation over the course of both nights given Mobley's minutes restriction and Garland probably having one, too.
Iwasawitness
Veteran

Post#18 » by Iwasawitness » Tue Jan 30, 2024 6:09 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
Iwasawitness wrote:

Really? Okay, that changes things then.

JonFromVA
RealGM
And1: 4,465

Post#19 » by JonFromVA » Tue Jan 30, 2024 7:52 pm

jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Seems really odd that a coach in his 5th NBA season as head coach can't figure out how to play more than 8 guys in a regular season rotation.

Not only was Westbrook getting the better of him, but the Clippers were really staying inside his shirt.

The second part is fine since that's real shooting gravity, the first part not so much.

jbk1234 wrote:Best win of the season aided by Lue deciding to go 5 out to close the game with Allen still on the floor.

Oh, I don't know about that. The Clippers went on an 11-3 run during that stretch to cut our lead to just 4.

Either way, nice to survive that, not something I take for granted.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by jbk1234 » Tue Jan 30, 2024 8:04 pm

JonFromVA wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:
toooskies wrote:From some comments on Reddit, sounds like Westbrook was cooking Sam so bad on isos that we couldn't afford to keep playing him. So JBB adjusted.

The second part is fine since that's real shooting gravity, the first part not so much.

jbk1234 wrote:Best win of the season aided by Lue deciding to go 5 out to close the game with Allen still on the floor.

Oh, I don't know about that. The Clippers went on an 11-3 run during that stretch to cut our lead to just 4.

Either way, nice to survive that, not something I take for granted.

I don't know where you're starting and stopping the run, but Allen scored 6 of our last 9 points starting at the 3:44 mark. Assisted on thr only other made bucket (Mitchell) and secured a couple of key defensive rebounds.
cbosh4mvp wrote:

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers