ImageImageImage

2024 Playoffs Round 1: Cavs (4) / Magic (5) (4-3)

Moderator: ijspeelman

JujitsuFlip
General Manager
And1: 5,412

Re: 2024 Playoffs Round 1: Cavs (4) / Magic (5) (3-2) 

Post#201 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 4, 2024 3:47 am

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I've been waiting 2 years for Mitchell to have a playoff game like that and it comes in a loss.

Fire jb man, literally tonight, get rid of him. Mitchell scores 50 and we don't even break 100.

You're literally the guy who pushed for and celebrated Marcus Morris getting PT. He was a zero in this one.

Mitchell scored 50 because we finally discovered that while Orlando is tall, they don't block many shots and so you can drive relentlessly on them. But they do rebound well.

So many uncalled contact fouls did not favor us.
Yes and I'm glad Morris played bc Banchero woulda abused Okoro again and this game woulda ended up like game 3 and 4.

If jb's goofy @$$ doesn't keep going to Niang and Okoro late, the Cavs might have actually been flying back prepping for game 1 of a second round series right now.

I am like 95% sure i situationally coulda coached a better game than jb did in this one, all way down to the timeouts and rotations.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,725

Post#202 » by toooskies » Sat May 4, 2024 3:28 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:I've been waiting 2 years for Mitchell to have a playoff game like that and it comes in a loss.

Fire jb man, literally tonight, get rid of him. Mitchell scores 50 and we don't even break 100.

You're literally the guy who pushed for and celebrated Marcus Morris getting PT. He was a zero in this one.

Mitchell scored 50 because we finally discovered that while Orlando is tall, they don't block many shots and so you can drive relentlessly on them. But they do rebound well.

Yes and I'm glad Morris played bc Banchero woulda abused Okoro again and this game woulda ended up like game 3 and 4.

If jb's goofy @$$ doesn't keep going to Niang and Okoro late, the Cavs might have actually been flying back prepping for game 1 of a second round series right now.

I am like 95% sure i situationally coulda coached a better game than jb did in this one, all way down to the timeouts and rotations.

Who else is JBB supposed to put in at the 4? Damian Jones? TT? LeVert?

I said the Cavs were vulnerable to injury at the big spots in the off-season. That's not JBB's fault, it's Altman's.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 32,559

Post#203 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 4, 2024 3:53 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:You're literally the guy who pushed for and celebrated Marcus Morris getting PT. He was a zero in this one.

I said the Cavs were vulnerable to injury at the big spots in the off-season. That's not JBB's fault, it's Altman's.

I'm kind of okay with the league-minimum guys because you're almost always going to be in dire straits if they see real minutes in a playoff game, but Niang is a miss. If you're a playoff team, you can't spend $8M on a player who isn't going to be playable in the playoffs outside of, maybe, a handful of matchups. You certainly can't give them $8M per over multiple seasons when cap space is at a premium.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#204 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 4, 2024 3:59 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:You're literally the guy who pushed for and celebrated Marcus Morris getting PT. He was a zero in this one.

Uhhhh Marcus Morris? Heck I even woulda taken TT if Okoro isn't going to shoot.

I honestly wanna see Banchero's FG% by who is guarding him, this series.

Idk where that stat lives on the internet but i see it on broadcasts so it is obviously out there somewhere.

For this series, I want to see who he's been cookin.
toooskies
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,725

Post#205 » by toooskies » Sat May 4, 2024 9:47 pm

JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:Yes and I'm glad Morris played bc Banchero woulda abused Okoro again and this game woulda ended up like game 3 and 4.

Idk where that stat lives on the internet but i see it on broadcasts so it is obviously out there somewhere.

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1631094/head-to-head?SeasonType=Playoffs&Matchup=Offense
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#206 » by jbk1234 » Sat May 4, 2024 10:35 pm

Allen is questionable for tomorrow.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
Jarret Allen isn’t winning you anything. Garland won’t show up in the playoffs. Mobley is a glorified dunk man. Mitchell has some experience but is a liability on defense. To me, the Cavs are a treadmill team.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#207 » by JujitsuFlip » Sat May 4, 2024 11:16 pm

toooskies wrote:
JujitsuFlip wrote:
toooskies wrote:Who else is JBB supposed to put in at the 4? Damian Jones? TT? LeVert?

https://www.nba.com/stats/player/1631094/head-to-head?SeasonType=Playoffs&Matchup=Offense
Thanks Toooskies, you're good at finding that stuff. Surprised Strus and LeVert are doing that well.

But you're right Okoro or Morris is a wash, the eye test failed me.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs
And1: 880

Post#208 » by ijspeelman » Sun May 5, 2024 1:03 am

jbk1234 wrote:The flip side of Mitchell scoring 50 is only two other Cavs even shot the ball in the 4th quarter and we didn't get stops or rebounds.

We were up 5 heading into the 4th quarter. We've lost both playoff games where Mitchell's taken more than 35 shots. If Allen is healthy for Game 7, we're winning this series, Mitchell won't score 50, and we're rolling into Boston.*

*hopefully with a Dean Wade who isn't in street clothes.

I don’t completely blame Mitchell for taking over, but I do blame the coaching staff. It really iced everyone else on the floor. There were def open guys though out the 4th that had good shots (were they gonna make them is a diff question).
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#209 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun May 5, 2024 1:14 am

ijspeelman wrote:
jbk1234 wrote:The flip side of Mitchell scoring 50 is only two other Cavs even shot the ball in the 4th quarter and we didn't get stops or rebounds.

We were up 5 heading into the 4th quarter. We've lost both playoff games where Mitchell's taken more than 35 shots. If Allen is healthy for Game 7, we're winning this series, Mitchell won't score 50, and we're rolling into Boston.*

*hopefully with a Dean Wade who isn't in street clothes.

I don’t completely blame Mitchell for taking over, but I do blame the coaching staff. It really iced everyone else on the floor. There were def open guys though out the 4th that had good shots (were they gonna make them is a diff question).
https://www.cleveland.com/cavs/2024/05/mitchell-scores-50-cavs-loss-to-magic-coaching-was-a-problem-terry-pluto.html?outputType=amp

Terry Pluto called out the poor coaching. I'm not an avid follower of his but i mostly see him be neutral about jb.

There was also an article, i can find it if anyone wanted that said Allen question jb's defense after game 3. If someone can find that interview, that would be sick. Bc i wonder if he's sitting out as a stance against jb. Allen is too high character to do that but fun to think about.
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: 2024 Playoffs Round 1: Cavs (4) / Magic (5) (3-3) 

Post#210 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 2:52 am

I'm reserving judgment on JBB so long as the Cavs are alive in the playoffs. I still think he's bad at in-game adjustments. I think he's gotten better at between-game adjustments and running plays out of a timeout. I'm concerned that some of our important players might be losing faith in him and I don't really see how he survives a game 7 loss.

Having said all of that, I do find the criticism over which of his deeply flawed options he's choosing to put on the floor to be overwrought. Morris was gassed halfway through the first quarter. Niang has been awful. TT cripples the offense. Damian Jones gets one of every three rebounds stripped, struggles in space, and can't handle more than one defensive rotation. You might get lucky for a few minutes with any of them, but that's what it would be, luck. These shouldn't be the choices.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#211 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun May 5, 2024 11:41 am

Gotta drive down to Kentucky, my little brother graduates college today. I hope to be in front of a tv for the 1pm tip.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#212 » by ijspeelman » Sun May 5, 2024 1:55 pm

ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#213 » by ijspeelman » Sun May 5, 2024 1:56 pm

Read on Twitter

yikes
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#214 » by ijspeelman » Sun May 5, 2024 4:22 pm

its looking like no Jarrett Allen
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#215 » by ijspeelman » Sun May 5, 2024 4:29 pm

JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#216 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun May 5, 2024 4:50 pm

ijspeelman wrote:its looking like no Jarrett Allen
That's bad news bears.
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#217 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun May 5, 2024 5:33 pm

Terrible start, looks like Garland hurt his ankle.

Cavs have no energy or focus, seems maybe they have already given up and there's still 38 minutes left...
jbk1234
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#218 » by jbk1234 » Sun May 5, 2024 5:34 pm

ijspeelman wrote:
Read on Twitter

yikes

I mean Strus and Niang haven't shot well, but who the Magic leave open matters.
cbosh4mvp wrote:
JujitsuFlip
General Manager

Post#219 » by JujitsuFlip » Sun May 5, 2024 5:44 pm

Mitchell to the locker room.
ijspeelman
Forum Mod - Cavs
Forum Mod - Cavs

Post#220 » by ijspeelman » Sun May 5, 2024 7:49 pm

Despite the awful start, we went into the half with some momentum and carried it into the 3rd.

Magic only scored 41 in the second half. Bring on the Celtics

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers