ImageImageImage

Gm 78: Apr 8 Cavs vs [Insert Derogatory Name Here] 7pm FSN

Moderator: ijspeelman

doclinkin
RealGM
And1: 5,271

Re: Gm 78: Apr 8 Cavs vs [Insert Derogatory Name Here] 7pm FSN 

Post#21 » by doclinkin » Wed Apr 8, 2009 6:33 pm

Gordon Bombay wrote:good post doc...you, donkey, and ccj are like the anti po'ed, freeballing, yungal, brenice and g0a :D

heres my take...lebron doesnt committ alot of fouls because he doesnt put himself in position to get fouls (in fact he is actually committing more fouls per minute this season than he did in his second season). he is rarely near the paint if someone gets beat off the dribble to pick up a cheap foul. he essentially plays free safety and tries to jump the passing lanes as much as possible or get the chase down block - fouls rarely are committed in either of those two scenarios (and yes the jrich one was a foul but the dude tried a 360 dunk with his team like 3 games out of the playoffs - i think the refs let that one slide due to the fact that jrich is a moron :D). his athleticism is so great where he can jump higher than anyone on the court, so he doesnt pick up over the back calls. his fouls come primarily from offensive charges.

about the acting...i really hate it. lebron either has the worst threshold for pain in the history of civilization or he needs to hire a better acting coach (the ******* ref laid him out for a good 5-10 minutes in a recent game :D). i think the acting has gotten worse and worse since a ref told mike brown that fouls werent being called on the opposition against lebron because lebron "wasnt being re-routed" - even tho i think only a few players in the league logistically re-route lebron. since then (and i would say this was about two months ago or so) any slap on the wrist or hipcheck gets met with lebron scaring the hell out of everyone in the arena while he lays there for a good five minutes - it just gets annoying. now granted he does get hammered on alot of plays, but you can never tell because even the slightest bump is sending him to floor (and he is usually yelling "HEY" or "AND 1" :D)

we really need a win here...not just because of the wizards owning us this season (that part of it) but also we need a 5-0 finish for hca advantage and we cant afford to be dropping anymore games in the standings to the lakers - that two game stretch from hell was a killer

Class act. A rare thing and I hope you won't be offended but you just made the Wiz board Hall of Fame.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#22 » by P'Oed » Wed Apr 8, 2009 6:34 pm

hahhaa, what the hell did I do?
Gordon Bombay
Head Coach
And1: 79

Post#23 » by Gordon Bombay » Wed Apr 8, 2009 7:45 pm

doclinkin wrote:Class act. A rare thing and I hope you won't be offended but you just made the Wiz board Hall of Fame.

lol i dont know what that is but sure. i just dont want lebron turning into paul pierce or vince carter, where screaming and flailing your arms gets a foul call - at least earn it

P'Oed wrote:hahhaa, what the hell did I do?

its just fun messing with you guys...i think brenice and yungal especially love coming over here and trying to mess with us lol

while we're on it...

found this gem of a thread
http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=771764&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

lol lots of good stuff in there about the "heated feud"
Baseline Runner
Analyst
And1: 1,067

Post#24 » by Baseline Runner » Wed Apr 8, 2009 8:09 pm

You have to feel for the Wiz. I mean atleast we had the Mark Price/Daughtery days before we had Lebron. The Bullets/Wiz were consistently terrible year after year, the LA Clippers of the East. Their franchise players were Jeff Malone in the eighties and Juwan Howard in the nineties. Whenever they landed a decent player like Chris Webber, Ben Wallace or Richard Hamilton they weren't smart enough to hang on to them. They finally got a few decent players in Arenas, Caron and Jamison, and were able to make the playoffs but then Lebron came along and got in their way. No wonder Wiz fans are bitter. They aren't going anywhere in this league, injuries or not, so all they have to live for is a potential regular season upset against their arch-nemesis.
P'Oed
Rookie
And1: 81

Post#25 » by P'Oed » Wed Apr 8, 2009 8:13 pm

Gordon Bombay wrote:
doclinkin wrote:Class act. A rare thing and I hope you won't be offended but you just made the Wiz board Hall of Fame.

lol i dont know what that is but sure. i just dont want lebron turning into paul pierce or vince carter, where screaming and flailing your arms gets a foul call - at least earn it

P'Oed wrote:hahhaa, what the hell did I do?

its just fun messing with you guys...i think brenice and yungal especially love coming over here and trying to mess with us lol

all in good fun my man. Good luck tonight. No doubt that these games have been fun over the past few years (most for you guys, haha). Just hope nobody is taking a little ribbing here and there too seriously. Everybody just drink a beer and have some fun watching some basketball.
Chocolate City Jordanaire
RealGM
And1: 8,968

Post#26 » by Chocolate City Jordanaire » Wed Apr 8, 2009 8:33 pm

Baseline Runner wrote:You have to feel for the Wiz. I mean atleast we had the Mark Price/Daughtery days before we had Lebron. The Bullets/Wiz were consistently terrible year after year, the LA Clippers of the East. Their franchise players were Jeff Malone in the eighties and Juwan Howard in the nineties. Whenever they landed a decent player like Chris Webber, Ben Wallace or Richard Hamilton they weren't smart enough to hang on to them. They finally got a few decent players in Arenas, Caron and Jamison, and were able to make the playoffs but then Lebron came along and got in their way. No wonder Wiz fans are bitter. They aren't going anywhere in this league, injuries or not, so all they have to live for is a potential regular season upset against their arch-nemesis.

Great guy, Mark Price. As a Bullet/Wiz, well ... Brent Price had some game left. Washington went through about 10-15 years of getting guys past their prime. Gus Wiiliams, Spencer Haywood, Dan Roundfield, Moses Malone, Bernard King (did have some useful years and one all star appearance but was a shell of what he had been with the Knicks), and Mark Price all had their worst years as a Bullet/Wizard.

I may not be too popular for repeatedly saying this on the Wizards board, but I was not in favor of them re-signing Gilbert Arenas after the second knee surgery. One surgery later and one more injured season later, I'm feeling like Gilbert Arenas might not get back to even 90% of what he was. He's still due near $90 Mil over the next 5 seasons.

I'll be the first Wizard fan to admit, Baseline Runner, that this game is about all the Wizards have to play for and they better hope Arenas returns to form in the future if they want any chance at elite status.

For me, I want Blake Griffin, Brendan Haywood resigned, a decent coach, and probably a trade of one of the big three (even Gil if Grunfeld can swing it). But I'm sure that wouldn't go over well with most Wizard fans.
Bye bye Beal.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM
And1: 5,694

Post#27 » by Benedict_Boozer » Wed Apr 8, 2009 9:46 pm

doclinkin wrote:
So, in short: dislodging, offensive charges, traveling. That's about the extent of it. Well that and wearing a Yankee hat.

Lebron gets leeway that all superstars before him have gotten in regards to traveling, he doesn't commit the egregious travels he used to his 1st couple years like the "double hop-step" or infamous "crab dribble" without it being called.

The dislodging and offense charges, I think Lebron has to be reffed under a slightly different set of rules because he is not your average player. His combination of size and athletic ability create situaitons for a ref an average player doesn't.

An analogy would be Shaq. If you don't absolutely maul him, much like Lebron, he is going to finish the play around the rim. As such alot of touch fouls don't get called where they would for a guy like Kevin Martin for example.

On the flipside, the refs letting defenders get more physical than average with Shaq (i.e. LBJ) means that offensively they are going to get a little more leeway than average in establishing position and creating contact.

So I think it's a balance that the refs have to create for players like Lebron or Shaq who have unmatched athleticism for their size. Otherwise you foul them out in a half or send them to the line 30 times a game, neither of which the fans want to see.

Your last point about his whining/acting, he used to not do that at all. But I've noticed if he doesn't complain, the refs just don't call any borderline contact. So he has learned the art of how to manipulate the refs in front of the crowd, much like the stars before him. That shouldn't be a surprise (though I can see how it could be annoying to other fans)
gflem
Analyst
And1: 276

Post#28 » by gflem » Wed Apr 8, 2009 10:02 pm

I for one do not accept the premise of the Sam Smith article. Unprecedented treatment? this argument has been done b4. Mj got the calls if someone was in the same area code on defense.
And as far as the rules changes, NO ZONE DEFENSES WERE ALLOWED back then, and the clear out where 4 guys went to one side of the court and MJ isoed against his defender to great advantage isnt allowed now either.
So what if the hand check rules are different, do you really think Lebron wouldnt be even more successful under the old rules? He is much bigger and stronger than MJ, and near as quick. He would have no trouble overpowering a simple hand-check, and throwing down on anyone that would be put in that position on defense, including Kobe.
The real premise is the writers hate of Cleveland, and Lebron. His guy is the goat, and anyone who dares to aspire to that level, or god forbid surpass it is to be undermined and dissed any way possible. Now for sure Lebron hasnt accomplished what MJ has, and he has a long way to go as far as titles, but his individual talent while somewhat different is as unique and dominant as MJ. Kobe is in the conversation as well. In fact, Kobe would be just as unstoppable under the old rules imo.
I guess my point is that just because some hack has his viewpoint of reality, it doesnt mean that it deserves validity without some conversation or comparision.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM

Post#29 » by Benedict_Boozer » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:04 pm

No Gilbert Arenas tonight. I'm surprised he isn't suiting up.
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 73

Post#30 » by Rise Against » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:05 pm

Great. I have to listen to the Wiz commentators. >.<
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#31 » by Rise Against » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:21 pm

12-6 lead for the Cavs. Both teams look pretty sloppy thus far. LeBron has yet to attempt a shot.
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM

Post#32 » by Benedict_Boozer » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:30 pm

Cavs decent start. Would like to see Lebron be more aggressive
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Rise Against » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:30 pm

Ben Wallace is back!
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM

Post#34 » by Benedict_Boozer » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:32 pm

Interesting lineup. Lebron with 4 bench guys
RevMan26
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#35 » by RevMan26 » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:32 pm

Why is this not televised on ESPN? I got the Blazers vs. Spurs.....
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM

Post#36 » by Benedict_Boozer » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:32 pm

Uh oh Songaila "aka Cav killer" is in
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by Rise Against » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:33 pm

RevMan26 wrote:Why is this not televised on ESPN? I got the Blazers vs. Spurs.....

The last 3 Cavs and Wiz games were all televised on national TV. So..
Rise Against
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Rise Against » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:37 pm

LeBron makes 2 straight free throws with 0.9 seconds left to give us a 13 point lead. I like the defense we are playing. We held them to 35% shooting.
RevMan26
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#39 » by RevMan26 » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:38 pm

Exile23 wrote:
RevMan26 wrote:Why is this not televised on ESPN? I got the Blazers vs. Spurs.....

The last 3 Cavs and Wiz games were all televised on national TV. So..

Yea the schedule I printed out said it was on ESPN.....but it's not. And it's not on FSN. :cry:
Benedict_Boozer
RealGM

Post#40 » by Benedict_Boozer » Wed Apr 8, 2009 11:39 pm

Decent 1st qtr. I liked the sub pattern so far.

Return to Cleveland Cavaliers