Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,306

Re: Brewers 2024 Discussion - Junis/Sanchez Signed - 1 year deals 

Post#1801 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:26 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Bauers is terrible. If the Brewers and trying to win they would do well to have him rarely step in the box.

Again...I'm not making a stone cold guarantee or something here, but the Brewers are a smart organization. Sometimes you're just making depth moves, but I think maybe they see something in him. He was on a 20 HR pace last year with the Yankees assuming 140 games. His hard hit % and barrel % spiked and he continued to add more fly balls.

I think they may view him as a bench lefty that may have traded out his average/lower K% for some power.

I agree he's not a DH mainstay, but they may see him as at least a major league power hitter now.

He was a fine, cheap addition. But given the Brewers additions since November there isn't really a spot in the lineup for him unless injuries occur. The OF is loaded with excellent defenders who need AB, Hoskins will be the every day 1B, and Sanchez and Yeli have DH duties. They can't be taking anyone out of the lineup to give Bauers anything other than spot ABs.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,188
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1802 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 7:32 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Bauers is terrible. If the Brewers and trying to win they would do well to have him rarely step in the box.

Again...I'm not making a stone cold guarantee or something here, but the Brewers are a smart organization. Sometimes you're just making depth moves, but I think maybe they see something in him. He was on a 20 HR pace last year with the Yankees assuming 140 games. His hard hit % and barrel % spiked and he continued to add more fly balls.

I think they may view him as a bench lefty that may have traded out his average/lower K% for some power.

I agree he's not a DH mainstay, but they may see him as at least a major league power hitter now.

He was a fine, cheap addition. But given the Brewers additions since November there isn't really a spot in the lineup for him unless injuries occur. The OF is loaded with excellent defenders who need AB, Hoskins will be the every day 1B, and Sanchez and Yeli have DH duties. They can't be taking anyone out of the lineup to give Bauers anything other than spot ABs.

Agree with that.

I think they made a lot of moves to fill out the depth on the MLB roster so they can not be desperate/picky. I have a feeling Mitchell is in AAA to start the year because his potential slash line looks like Bauers' anyways. Gives the flexibility for him to be part of a trade or withstand an injury. If Bauers sucks and Mitchell hits the cover off the ball or something, you go accordingly.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,135

Post#1803 » by MVP2110 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 8:59 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Agree with that.

I think they made a lot of moves to fill out the depth on the MLB roster so they can not be desperate/picky. I have a feeling Mitchell is in AAA to start the year because his potential slash line looks like Bauers' anyways. Gives the flexibility for him to be part of a trade or withstand an injury. If Bauers sucks and Mitchell hits the cover off the ball or something, you go accordingly.

This is where I'm at. Bauers isn't anything special but I do believe the Brewers saw something in him that they liked and that's why they traded for him. It's not hard to slide his bat in against RHP and see if he pops a bit. If he doesn't you can DFA him and move on(or same thing if he has a dreadful Spring Training). Mitchell & Frelick both have some legitimate concerns, especially Mitchell, so I'm not sold on the idea that Mitchell has to start the season in the Big leagues. Injuries will inevitably happen and so will under performance and when those two things hit it'll be nice to have Mitchell to call up. There really isn't any risk to seeing if the Brewers were right on Bauers
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1804 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:06 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Agree with that.

This is where I'm at. Bauers isn't anything special but I do believe the Brewers saw something in him that they liked and that's why they traded for him. It's not hard to slide his bat in against RHP and see if he pops a bit. If he doesn't you can DFA him and move on(or same thing if he has a dreadful Spring Training). Mitchell & Frelick both have some legitimate concerns, especially Mitchell, so I'm not sold on the idea that Mitchell has to start the season in the Big leagues. Injuries will inevitably happen and so will under performance and when those two things hit it'll be nice to have Mitchell to call up. There really isn't any risk to seeing if the Brewers were right on Bauers

I guess I don't see the reason you want to give Bauers a shot before Mitchell. Mitchell's younger and toolsier across the board. Hell, he's the most gifted athlete in the entire organization. If his K% comes down he has legitimate star potential.

There's nothing left for either Mitchell and Frelick in the minors. They can help the Brewers right now.

Bauers is a JAG.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1805 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:16 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Agree with that.

I guess I don't see the reason you want to give Bauers a shot before Mitchell. Mitchell's younger and toolsier across the board. Hell, he's the most gifted athlete in the entire organization. If his K% comes down he has legitimate star potential.

There's nothing left for either Mitchell and Frelick in the minors. They can help the Brewers right now.

Bauers is a JAG.

Mitchell (or I guess Wiemer or Frelick) can play every day in AAA while Bauers starts 1-2x week in pinch hits in the majors. Bauers is probably the "pretty good" case for Mitchell this season.

Granted, Mitchell already isn't striking out in the minors, but if you like what you see for him or Wiemer by May or June, you can make the swap. Injuries will probably figure it out for you.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1806 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:21 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Bauers is a JAG.

Mitchell (or I guess Wiemer or Frelick) can play every day in AAA while Bauers starts 1-2x week in pinch hits in the majors. Bauers is probably the "pretty good" case for Mitchell this season.

Granted, Mitchell already isn't striking out in the minors, but if you like what you see for him or Wiemer by May or June, you can make the swap. Injuries will probably figure it out for you.

Bauers has been below replacement level each of the last three seasons. Mitchell in his limited sample size has looked like a 5.0 win All-Star caliber player.

This isn't hard. Play the younger guys who have already shown more than Bauers has over the course of his entire career.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1807 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:26 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Bauers is a JAG.

Bauers has been below replacement level each of the last three seasons. Mitchell in his limited sample size has looked like a 5.0 win All-Star caliber player.

This isn't hard. Play the younger guys who have already shown more than Bauers has over the course of his entire career.

I hate to be so bearish on a player of team I root for, but it is impossible to keep up that slash line for Mitchell at that K%. We saw it with Hiura. It can be a fun ride for a month, but you will regress to a .200 hitter if you strike out nearly 40% of the time. Even at 35% he doesn't have the power yet to have a ton of value.

If you want to compare a larger body of work, Bauers was actually a much better minor league hitter coming up at 2-3 years younger at each level than Mitchell. He's only 3 years older than Mitchell.

Mitchell's career BABIP is .441. That does maybe say something about his speed, but the leaders for 2023 are Freddie Freeman at .371 and Yandy Diaz at .367.

A giant dump truck of regression is coming for Mitchell unless he completely transforms himself.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1808 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:40 pm

That's fine, but let him prove that he can't do it, first. Mitchell has the best collection of tools in the entire organization outside of Chourio. He's got plus power and big exit velocities. The question with him was always whether or not he could change his swing and elevate the ball. His swing has looked real nice in Milwaukee.

But even if he's a .220 hitter he still brings value in the field and on the base paths, something Bauers negative value to.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1809 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:47 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:That's fine, but let him prove that he can't do it, first. Mitchell has the best collection of tools in the entire organization outside of Chourio. He's got plus power and big exit velocities. The question with him was always whether or not he could change his swing and elevate the ball. His swing has looked real nice in Milwaukee.

But even if he's a .220 hitter he still brings value in the field and on the base paths, something Bauers negative value to.

The team has personnel and scouts that know better than me just looking at his Fangraphs page...they could decide some of this with him in AAA and the problem probably figures itself out with injuries anyways

I will say - I'm not sure how complete the data is, but he was a big time ground ball hitter in the minors and suddenly went from 60% (insane) in the minors to 40% in the majors. I think that may be a small sample thing. If he elevates it enough - yeah, he could be good. His launch angle does not yet match Bauers'.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1810 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:52 pm

I don’t know why we’re even taking Bauers vs GM. If Bauers wants to be valuable he’s got to be better than Sanchez and Yeli.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1811 » by MVP2110 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 9:56 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Agree with that.

Bauers is a JAG.

Mitchell is projected to have a 72 DRC+ and has struck out in nearly 40% of his MLB ABs. I'm just not sold that Mitchell is ready to be an everyday guy. Long term I'd absolutely take Mitchell over Bauers but I'm not sold he's the better option for 2024. Maybe I put too much faith in the Brewers scouting department but I do believe they saw something in Bauers that they like, I don't think they'd have just given up Avina for no reason so I want to see if Bauers can be something this year. I tend to give the Brewers the benefit of the doubt and know what they are doing
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1812 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:04 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Bauers is a JAG.

Mitchell is projected to have a 72 DRC+ and has struck out in nearly 40% of his MLB ABs. I'm just not sold that Mitchell is ready to be an everyday guy. Long term I'd absolutely take Mitchell over Bauers but I'm not sold he's the better option for 2024. Maybe I put too much faith in the Brewers scouting department but I do believe they saw something in Bauers that they like, I don't think they'd have just given up Avina for no reason so I want to see if Bauers can be something this year. I tend to give the Brewers the benefit of the doubt and know what they are doing

On one hand they traded their 29th ranked prospect for Bauers.

On the other hand they went out and signed Rhys Hoskins and Gary Sanchez to play in in front of him.

Bauers is, at best, insurance.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1813 » by MVP2110 » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:22 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Bauers is a JAG.

On the other hand they went out and signed Rhys Hoskins and Gary Sanchez to play in in front of him.

I think he's insurance in that he'll make the team and get a handful of starts a week against RHP. Whether that's at DH, 1B, or the OF I think will vary based on injury and who needs a day off but I'd be pretty surprised if the Brewers outright release a guy who they gave up a decent prospect to acquire. The thing is injuries will happen over the course of the season and when they do having a guy like Bauers as depth will be nice
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1814 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Feb 8, 2024 10:51 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I think he's insurance in that he'll make the team and get a handful of starts a week against RHP. Whether that's at DH, 1B, or the OF I think will vary based on injury and who needs a day off but I'd be pretty surprised if the Brewers outright release a guy who they gave up a decent prospect to acquire. The thing is injuries will happen over the course of the season and when they do having a guy like Bauers as depth will be nice

Avina isn't yet a prospect and the Yankees were going to non-tender Bauers.

I trust the Brewers organization but you two are doing a lot to get a bad player on the field and, honestly, I don't get it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1815 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:11 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Avina isn't yet a prospect and the Yankees were going to non-tender Bauers.

I trust the Brewers organization but you two are doing a lot to get a bad player on the field and, honestly, I don't get it.

When this trade happened, you were pretty jacked up about the prospects they gave up.

Other than seeing some slight upside in Bauers, I don't think either of us are pumping up Bauers to be a star or starter or anything.

I think the idea is that yourself (to a smaller degree) and a lot of Brewers fans that are understandably not Fangraphs wizards do not really grasp that Mitchell may be just a guy at the plate and therefore, a slightly more reliable option may start this year in the majors to preserve depth.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1816 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:24 pm

Bauers, a 50 grade prospect at age 22 through 50 games:
.242/.347/.500 with 9 HR and 4 SB with 24% K% and 13% BB%

Mitchell, a 45 grade prospect at age 23/24 through 47 games:
.278/.343/.452 with 5 HR and 9 SB with 38% K% and 9% BB

Obviously, we've seen the future on Bauers that he torpedoed to a AAA guy for a while and now has maybe developed into a bench LH bat, so the unopened box is still there for Mitchell.

But we can also see that Bauers looked better all the way up the minors and to start his career before pitchers got a book on him and what he turned into.

I hope Mitchell makes me look like an idiot and continues to get on base...the peripherals just aren't suggesting it right now.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1817 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:42 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Bauers, a 50 grade prospect at age 22 through 50 games:

Obviously, we've seen the future on Bauers that he torpedoed to a AAA guy for a while and now has maybe developed into a bench LH bat, so the unopened box is still there for Mitchell.

But we can also see that Bauers looked better all the way up the minors and to start his career before pitchers got a book on him and what he turned into.

I hope Mitchell makes me look like an idiot and continues to get on base...the peripherals just aren't suggesting it right now.

The two aren't comparable as prospects. You keep skipping over the fact that Mitchell plays elite defense anywhere in the outfield and has 80 grade speed. He helps, even if it isn't at the plate.

But whatever, I'm done arguing about this.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1818 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Feb 9, 2024 2:52 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:Bauers, a 50 grade prospect at age 22 through 50 games:

The two aren't comparable as prospects. You keep skipping over the fact that Mitchell plays elite defense anywhere in the outfield and has 80 grade speed. He helps, even if it isn't at the plate.

But whatever, I'm done arguing about this.

But they are comparable as prospects because Bauers had a hit tool which literally graded him higher. So Bauers was graded as "pretty good" straight across the board. Decent baserunning, decent defense, gets on base, has some power. That looks like a LH bench/platoon bat.

Yes, Mitchell is a great defender/baserunner. He is not expected to be a great hitter. I do agree that even if Mitchell can check in a decent batting line, his ceiling is higher knowing what we already know about Bauers. Mitchell as a prospect was graded to not be a huge power guy and less of a hit tool.

I wouldn't go this far, but he could end up being Brett Phillips if that grade comes true. Phillips' first season of 37 games looks like Mitchell's offensive line so far. Great defender. Then the bat falls off a cliff with a larger sample and pitchers knowing how to pitch him.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#1819 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Feb 9, 2024 3:16 pm

Shrug, a half dozen or so guys will get injured in spring training and most of this will work itself out.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
rayallenscalves
Junior
And1: 222

Post#1820 » by rayallenscalves » Fri Feb 9, 2024 4:56 pm

What's a "Jake Bauers"?

Return to Milwaukee Brewers