ImageImage

2020-21 Brewers Offseason Thread: JBJ Signed - 2 Years $24 Million, 1 Year Opt Out

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,337

Re: 2020-21 Brewers Offseason Thread: JBJ Signed - 2 Years $24 Million, 1 Year Opt Out 

Post#241 » by humanrefutation » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:50 am

I think the no tailgating rule is basically because it's a lot harder to control the activity of fans outside of the stadium.
Pugger
Ballboy
And1: 7

Re: 2020-21 Brewers Offseason Thread: JBJ Signed - 2 Years $24 Million, 1 Year Opt Out 

Post#242 » by Pugger » Fri Mar 5, 2021 1:47 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:It's a shame they can't get the universal DH thing worked out. I didn't for one second miss watching the pitchers hit last year.

Also it would really help out the Brewers the way their roster is shaping up, not even taking into account if Braun has designs of possibly making a midseason return.

Not even watching Woodruff? If the NL ever goes with the DL I hope Woody can still hit when he is starting.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#243 » by leroyjw10 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:29 pm

Pugger wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:It's a shame they can't get the universal DH thing worked out. I didn't for one second miss watching the pitchers hit last year.

Also it would really help out the Brewers the way their roster is shaping up, not even taking into account if Braun has designs of possibly making a midseason return.

Not even watching Woodruff? If the NL ever goes with the DL I hope Woody can still hit when he is starting.

This'll ruffle the feathers of the traditionalists, but I think pitchers hitting is one of the dumbest rules in sports. That's like asking Aaron Rodgers to throw a TD and then go line up at CB. Let the pitchers pitch and the hitters hit.

Baseball's declining popularity isn't being helped by asking guys who can't hit to flail at the plate and forcing managers to make a bunch of double switches. The game needs more offense and having pitchers hit ain't helping.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,352

Post#244 » by crkone » Fri Mar 5, 2021 2:57 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:
Pugger wrote:

This'll ruffle the feathers of the traditionalists, but I think pitchers hitting is one of the dumbest rules in sports. That's like asking Aaron Rodgers to throw a TD and then go line up at CB. Let the pitchers pitch and the hitters hit.

Baseball's declining popularity isn't being helped by asking guys who can't hit to flail at the plate and forcing managers to make a bunch of double switches. The game needs more offense and having pitchers hit ain't helping.

I used to want to see pitchers hit because tradition then Jimmy Nelson ruined his career by getting on base.

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#245 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:30 pm

crkone wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:
Pugger wrote:

I used to want to see pitchers hit because tradition then Jimmy Nelson ruined his career by getting on base.
This is where I'm at. I like the late game strategy but it's not worth the increased risk for pitchers to hit. Plus the DH allows you to keep your best players in the lineup more where you can give them rest days as a DH vs completely out of the game.

Plus I've just resigned myself that universal DH is coming so might as well have kept it for the year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,136

Post#246 » by MVP2110 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:22 pm

Why even have the DH? Why not just have 8 guys in the lineup? I hate the idea of only a halfway player
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,337

Post#247 » by humanrefutation » Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:02 am

MVP2110 wrote:Why even have the DH? Why not just have 8 guys in the lineup? I hate the idea of only a halfway player

The union would never agree. There are a lot of baseball players who would lose jobs and/or have their value considerably reduced if the DH was completely eliminated.

I think it's more likely you'll see it adopted in both leagues. But I thought we were headed in that direction until they eliminated it again for the NL. Maybe the traditionalists just didn't want it. Maybe the NL owners just didn't want to pay for it.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,136

Post#248 » by MVP2110 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:54 am

humanrefutation wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:Why even have the DH? Why not just have 8 guys in the lineup? I hate the idea of only a halfway player

The union would never agree. There are a lot of baseball players who would lose jobs and/or have their value considerably reduced if the DH was completely eliminated.

I think it's more likely you'll see it adopted in both leagues. But I thought we were headed in that direction until they eliminated it again for the NL. Maybe the traditionalists just didn't want it. Maybe the NL owners just didn't want to pay for it.

I'm talking from a purely what's good for the game argument. If people don't want pitchers to hit that's fine, but why have one guy who can only hit.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,409

Post#249 » by M-C-G » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:16 pm

Watching Jimmy Nelson's ace prime years destroyed by crappy baserunning was my final DH straw. Just make the DH universal and be done with it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#250 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:43 pm

humanrefutation wrote:

It wasn't traditionalist that killed it, it was the owners offering it as a bargaining chip but the players turned down the whole deal with a 150 game season. Everyone pretty much wants it to happen and I'd be shocked if it wasn't in the new CBA.

That's if they can ever agree on a CBA, both sides seem unable to negotiate like adults.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#251 » by LittleRooster » Fri Mar 19, 2021 7:43 pm

M-C-G wrote:Watching Jimmy Nelson's ace prime years destroyed by crappy baserunning was my final DH straw. Just make the DH universal and be done with it.

Same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to Milwaukee Brewers