2022 Brewers Trades, Transactions, News - Cain Speaks Out

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,102

2022 Brewers Trades, Transactions, News - Cain Speaks Out 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:14 pm

We'll use this thread for all Brewer news outside of the games themselves.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,277

Re: 2021 Brewers News/Trades/Transactions Thread 

Post#2 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 2, 2021 11:23 pm

Milwaukee is making a pitch to host the now-moved All Star Game.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Apr 3, 2021 12:49 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Milwaukee is making a pitch to host the now-moved All Star Game.

The last one was a disaster, leaky roof + tie game. Be nice to have another shot at it.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#4 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 1:02 pm

Twins have some good pitchers, and I know it's a small sample, but the decision not to bring in a new hitting coach after that disastrous 2020 season is already looking like a bad non-move. It's like the Packers hanging on to Dom Capers for too long. You have to know when to move on.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,436

Post#5 » by trwi7 » Mon Apr 5, 2021 3:44 pm

leroyjw10 wrote:Twins have some good pitchers, and I know it's a small sample, but the decision not to bring in a new hitting coach after that disastrous 2020 season is already looking like a bad non-move. It's like the Packers hanging on to Dom Capers for too long. You have to know when to move on.

We don't have good hitters for the most part.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 6, 2021 2:19 am

Read on Twitter

Lame.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 3:11 am

trwi7 wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:Twins have some good pitchers, and I know it's a small sample, but the decision not to bring in a new hitting coach after that disastrous 2020 season is already looking like a bad non-move. It's like the Packers hanging on to Dom Capers for too long. You have to know when to move on.

There are plenty of guys on this year's roster and last year's that have had nice offensive seasons in the past. Outside of Arcia, pretty much every guy had career-worst seasons last year. There's potential there again this year, but the hitting coach isn't doing anyone any favors.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,436

Post#8 » by trwi7 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:25 am

leroyjw10 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

There are plenty of guys on this year's roster and last year's that have had nice offensive seasons in the past. Outside of Arcia, pretty much every guy had career-worst seasons last year. There's potential there again this year, but the hitting coach isn't doing anyone any favors.

So I had a long post replying to this and I accidentally clicked the X in the tab and got rid of it all and now I want to jump into a tub with a toaster and I'm not going to look everything up and type it all again. So I guess I'll just go position by position.

C- Pina and Nottingham were generally fine. Narvaez was **** but has hit this year so if you're blaming Haines for Narvaez last year, you have to give him credit for the admittedly tiny sample this year.

1B - Healy and Morrison hadn't had barely passable in Healy's case and good seasons in Morrison's case since 2017. Smoak hit .208 in 2019 and was barely average offensively. At 33 is it a surprise that he fell off another cliff? Vogelbach was awful last year until he got to the Brewers. Does Haines get credit for that?

2B - Nobody wanted to hear it but Hiura had some concerning numbers back in AAA. When he got lucky and hit over .300 in the majors people really didn't want to hear about it even though the concerning strikeout and contact numbers never left. It caught up to him last year and so far this year and he's going to continue to struggle until he makes some sort of adjustment.

SS - Arcia has always sucked at hitting. Urias can't really hit unless he's in the thin air of Lake Elsinore or El Paso.

3B - Sogard has a career 81 OPS+. Sure he had a couple of decent years but expecting that is **** stupid. You're far more likely to get **** offense than good offense. Gyorko was good because he was generally used property and would probably be an upgrade offensively for us now in place of Arcia or Urias. Holt, whatever. It was 36 plate appearances and he was **** in 2017. He could've hit like .500 in those first 36 plate appearances, been on the roster all year and finished league average. He's not good but he's not bad. Unfortunately for him he had about as **** 36 plate appearances that you can have on a team that was already struggling offensively, so they had to do something and he was the worst so he got the boot.

LF - Yelich. Who the **** knows with him. The no contact makes me think he's worried about smashing his kneecap again. Whatever the problem is, we're beyond **** if he doesn't give us a few seasons of 2018-19 Yelich. Kudos to him for getting that cash before he became some random average corner outfielder if that's what he ends up being.

CF - Cain was fine in his tiny sample last year. Ben Gamel isn't a very good hitter. Garcia could maybe Hiura his way to a .330 BA and get lucky or he could hit .230 with a .280 OBP. He did both of this things in back to back years. We just happened to get one of the **** years last year.

RF - Braun looked his age last year and is a walking intercostal strain anyways.

Peterson, Taylor and Mathias were fine for what they are.

As for what we added this year. Prior to last year JBJ had 3 straight years of below average production offensively. He'll probably finish slightly below average offensively overall. Same for Wong. Neither are particularly good hitters and expecting them to save the offense or blaming Haines for them not producing offensively is dumb because those aren't the kind of players they are.

But yeah, we generally have had some **** offensive players the last couple of years. Firing Haines isn't going to get rid of the **** offensive players.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Apr 6, 2021 1:25 pm

trwi7 wrote:
leroyjw10 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

So I had a long post replying to this and I accidentally clicked the X in the tab and got rid of it all and now I want to jump into a tub with a toaster and I'm not going to look everything up and type it all again. So I guess I'll just go position by position.

C- Pina and Nottingham were generally fine. Narvaez was **** but has hit this year so if you're blaming Haines for Narvaez last year, you have to give him credit for the admittedly tiny sample this year.

1B - Healy and Morrison hadn't had barely passable in Healy's case and good seasons in Morrison's case since 2017. Smoak hit .208 in 2019 and was barely average offensively. At 33 is it a surprise that he fell off another cliff? Vogelbach was awful last year until he got to the Brewers. Does Haines get credit for that?

2B - Nobody wanted to hear it but Hiura had some concerning numbers back in AAA. When he got lucky and hit over .300 in the majors people really didn't want to hear about it even though the concerning strikeout and contact numbers never left. It caught up to him last year and so far this year and he's going to continue to struggle until he makes some sort of adjustment.

SS - Arcia has always sucked at hitting. Urias can't really hit unless he's in the thin air of Lake Elsinore or El Paso.

3B - Sogard has a career 81 OPS+. Sure he had a couple of decent years but expecting that is **** stupid. You're far more likely to get **** offense than good offense. Gyorko was good because he was generally used property and would probably be an upgrade offensively for us now in place of Arcia or Urias. Holt, whatever. It was 36 plate appearances and he was **** in 2017. He could've hit like .500 in those first 36 plate appearances, been on the roster all year and finished league average. He's not good but he's not bad. Unfortunately for him he had about as **** 36 plate appearances that you can have on a team that was already struggling offensively, so they had to do something and he was the worst so he got the boot.

LF - Yelich. Who the **** knows with him. The no contact makes me think he's worried about smashing his kneecap again. Whatever the problem is, we're beyond **** if he doesn't give us a few seasons of 2018-19 Yelich. Kudos to him for getting that cash before he became some random average corner outfielder if that's what he ends up being.

CF - Cain was fine in his tiny sample last year. Ben Gamel isn't a very good hitter. Garcia could maybe Hiura his way to a .330 BA and get lucky or he could hit .230 with a .280 OBP. He did both of this things in back to back years. We just happened to get one of the **** years last year.

RF - Braun looked his age last year and is a walking intercostal strain anyways.

Peterson, Taylor and Mathias were fine for what they are.

As for what we added this year. Prior to last year JBJ had 3 straight years of below average production offensively. He'll probably finish slightly below average offensively overall. Same for Wong. Neither are particularly good hitters and expecting them to save the offense or blaming Haines for them not producing offensively is dumb because those aren't the kind of players they are.

But yeah, we generally have had some **** offensive players the last couple of years. Firing Haines isn't going to get rid of the **** offensive players.

The whole point of any coach in any sport is to make players better. No matter how bad you may think the hitters are, Haines certainly isn't doing anything to coach them up. The Brewers are coming off a historically bad offensive season and are somehow even worse so far this year. You can't fire the entire lineup. You can, however, fire a single hitting coach.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter

Read on Twitter

Hmm.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#11 » by StickeeFingaz » Tue Apr 6, 2021 4:59 pm

Pretty funny looking back and being excited about watching Arcia because he was our top prospect.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,116

Post#12 » by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:04 pm

Who's gonna hug guys at the end of HR celebrations in the dugout?
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,185
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#13 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:07 pm

Braves is the destination.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:09 pm

We're getting a couple of pitchers.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,186

Post#15 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:18 pm

Damn. Nice knowing ya, Orlando.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: 2021 Brewers News/Trades/Transactions - Arcia to the Braves 

Post#16 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:33 pm

He's ARB 2. It will be interesting to see what level pitchers we're getting.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#17 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:37 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:He's ARB 2. It will be interesting to see what level pitchers we're getting.
Probably lower level lotto tickets. I can't imagine he had very much trade value.

Edit: actually two older AAAA types. His value was not high.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:41 pm

Read on Twitter

Yuck.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,186

Post#19 » by JimmyTheKid » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:50 pm

Read on Twitter
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#20 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Apr 6, 2021 5:53 pm

I'm fine with it. Arcia sucks

Return to Milwaukee Brewers