ImageImage

2022 Brewers Trades, Transactions, News - Cain Speaks Out

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,115

Re: 2022 Brewers Trades, Transactions, News - Hader to Padres 

Post#801 » by Matches Malone » Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:28 pm

M-C-G wrote:Wonder if there was something more going on that we will find out about in a 30 for 30 in like 15 years.

Yeah, I'm curious about what's going on. Could be anything from the mental yips to a hang nail. That's the one thing I always disliked about baseball. How quickly a player can go from unstoppable to horrid in the blink of an eye. I bet that's part of the reason the game is so hard to market. Don't know who will stay good enough, long enough :(
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,148

Post#802 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:37 pm

^^Which is exactly why baseball needs a salary cap in the worst way. Want more eyeballs on your sport in the dead months between basketball and football? Maybe give 60-70% of your fans hope that their teams can have a fighting chance and give them incentive to pay attention outside of the 3-4 years every decade where the windows of their prospects and payroll line up, before they're inevitably poached by the big clubs and you have to hit the reset button again. I mean hell, Stearns basically made every right roster move and we had our window (2017-2021), got close once (NLCS Game 7), and now it's right back to the drawing board cuz ($$$$)......."reasons".

I mean, Brewers could still be back only 5-games in the division on September 1st, but I don't think there's a single shred of optimism for this team even if they can get hot and go on a run. MLB feeds fan apathy like no other sport, and it's not a coincidence why they're always lagging behind the NBA and NFL when it comes to marketing their ****.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#803 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:21 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:^^Which is exactly why baseball needs a salary cap in the worst way. Want more eyeballs on your sport in the dead months between basketball and football? Maybe give 60-70% of your fans hope that their teams can have a fighting chance and give them incentive to pay attention outside of the 3-4 years every decade where the windows of their prospects and payroll line up, before they're inevitably poached by the big clubs and you have to hit the reset button again. I mean hell, Stearns basically made every right roster move and we had our window (2017-2021), got close once (NLCS Game 7), and now it's right back to the drawing board cuz ($$$$)......."reasons".

I mean, Brewers could still be back only 5-games in the division on September 1st, but I don't think there's a single shred of optimism for this team even if they can get hot and go on a run. MLB feeds fan apathy like no other sport, and it's not a coincidence why they're always lagging behind the NBA and NFL when it comes to marketing their ****.
As a brewers fan I wholeheartedly agree.

If I were the commissioner I might have a different view. I think baseballs core issue is very few fans care or watch anything outside of their team. The NFL is on a different statophere with this and the NBA is way ahead of baseball. If it was more of a level playing field would that change this? I don't know, maybe but I have my doubts. Because if not then I can understand how the league would want the stars to gravitate to the big markets and those teams to be good because they have bigger fan bases.

Hell I'm guilty of this myself, I watch zero baseball other than the brewers. Even the postseason I'll turn on a game if it's close but if the brewers aren't playing I won't go out of my way to watch.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,102

Post#804 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:44 pm

Yeah I don't watch non Brewers baseball. In the playoffs I'll watch elimination games and that's pretty much it. World Series I'll tune in late in games if it's close. A cap is a pipedream but it would change the sport for the good, IMO. Instead they'll **** around with pitch clocks and banning the shift.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,792

Post#805 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:59 pm

I also don't - or rarely - watch baseball outside the Brewers unless it's the playoffs. But I will say that I can't pinpoint why. I'm not sure if it's ultimately impacted by the cap or not. From this perspective, wouldn't I want teams to be loaded so they're more fun to watch considering I don't care about said team?

That's not to say I don't favor a cap. I wholeheartedly, 100% do. It's just: 1) not happening, and 2) I'm not sure it ultimately solves the 'don't watch other teams' issue.

Of all the sports where someone could come out of absolutely no where and be a contender - even if they don't win - I think NBA is who is in the worst spot. Parity doesn't keep me from watching other teams - I do it because I love basketball (even in spite of **** loathing super teams and all of the current league issues). I love baseball...but, like, it's kind of boring if you aren't invested. It's often boring even when you are.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,361

Post#806 » by jute2003 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:40 pm

I think the biggest problem with baseball and it's popularity is that unless you have a rooting interest, it's too **** boring.
only a fan, only an opinion
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#807 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:57 pm

162 is insane. 82 in the NBA is insane too but NBA is 1000X more entertaining than MLB. If I watch or go to a Bucks game I know there will be lots of great plays by Giannis and others even if we lose the game. With the Brewers it could be a 2-0 loss.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#808 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:21 pm

jute2003 wrote:I think the biggest problem with baseball and it's popularity is that unless you have a rooting interest, it's too **** boring.

Yep. This is why I don't watch any baseball other than the Brewers (and the Little League World Series). I just don't care about any other team and the sport in and of itself is too boring.

But, admittedly, I also especially hate watching teams like the Dodgers and Yankees as they throw out one highly-paid All-Star after another and I know the Brewers will (very likely) never be able to compete with that. Same reason I don't care about college football. I know the Badgers will never be able to compete with the Ohio States and Alabamas of the sport.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,750

Post#809 » by msiris » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:12 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:^^Which is exactly why baseball needs a salary cap in the worst way. Want more eyeballs on your sport in the dead months between basketball and football? Maybe give 60-70% of your fans hope that their teams can have a fighting chance and give them incentive to pay attention outside of the 3-4 years every decade where the windows of their prospects and payroll line up, before they're inevitably poached by the big clubs and you have to hit the reset button again. I mean hell, Stearns basically made every right roster move and we had our window (2017-2021), got close once (NLCS Game 7), and now it's right back to the drawing board cuz ($$$$)......."reasons".

As a brewers fan I wholeheartedly agree.

If I were the commissioner I might have a different view. I think baseballs core issue is very few fans care or watch anything outside of their team. The NFL is on a different statophere with this and the NBA is way ahead of baseball. If it was more of a level playing field would that change this? I don't know, maybe but I have my doubts. Because if not then I can understand how the league would want the stars to gravitate to the big markets and those teams to be good because they have bigger fan bases.

Hell I'm guilty of this myself, I watch zero baseball other than the brewers. Even the postseason I'll turn on a game if it's close but if the brewers aren't playing I won't go out of my way to watch.

The only way to change things is for small market fans must stop watching baseball period. Send a message. As long as there is revenue sharing owners are not going to care as long as they are making money. I for one have not watched an all star game or world series in a long time. And now I have hardly watched the Brewers this year.
Ride the tank
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,277

Post#810 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:51 pm

I still watch at least some of just about every Brewers game, but it's the only team I'll reliably watch ever. The only time I flip over to a non-Brewers game is when a no hitter is going on. Maybe if there's a close out game in the playoffs.

My sports viewing preferences are:

1 - Packers
2 - Badgers FB
3a - Bucks
3b - Brewers
5 - General college football
6 - General NFL
7 - Badgers basketball
8 - Majors in Tennis and Golf
9 - World Cup Mens and Womens

Big drop. Huge.

10 - General NBA
11 - College basketball

Might as well not exist

12 - General MLB
13 - Hockey
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#811 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:38 pm

Oh this is fun. I kind of went back-and-forth on this, but I decided that I'm thinking of it like - if two events/sports were on at the same time, which would I watch? That pushed tennis majors above UW basketball, for example, as I'd miss a game to watch the US Open Final.

Tier 1
Tennis majors
UW basketball
UW football
Bucks

Tier 2
Brewers
Packers
General college basketball

Tier 3
General tennis
Golf majors
General college football
General NFL

Tier 4
General golf
General MLB

Can't Pay Me To Watch
Hockey of any kind

Something like that.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#812 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 30, 2022 11:41 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Oh this is fun. I kind of went back-and-forth on this, but I decided that I'm thinking of it like - if two events/sports were on at the same time, which would I watch? That pushed tennis majors above UW basketball, for example, as I'd miss a game to watch the US Open Final.

Tier 1
Tennis majors
UW basketball
UW football
Bucks

Tier 2
Brewers
Packers
General college basketball

Tier 3
General tennis
Golf majors
General college football
General NFL

Tier 4
General golf
General MLB

Can't Pay Me To Watch
Hockey of any kind

Something like that.

I'mma quote this and bring the discussion to the OT thread. I'm curious what others have.
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,909

Post#813 » by blazza18 » Wed Aug 31, 2022 12:16 am

Feel like I pay way too much for mlbtv to not try to at least check out as many ace v ace matchups as possible. On weekends I like chilling out in the afternoon to watch the late west coast games.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#814 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Aug 31, 2022 1:22 am

List is much much different now that I have kids.

Packers
Suns (slight edge over Bucks because game times are much more convenient for me)
Bucks
General NFL
General NBA
Brewers - some yrs this is higher
F1 - it's a nice thing to throw on Sunday morning
MMA

I might watch if it's close
Playoff baseball
Playoff hockey
NCAA tournament

Hardly ever
Regular season baseball
College sports

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#815 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Sep 6, 2022 12:08 am

Cain:

“I’ve been keeping up with the team from afar and I see they’re struggling a little bit. I wouldn’t say I saw that coming, but I feel like when you mess around with the chemistry of the team, things like this can happen.

“Analytics doesn’t judge or measure the heart of a person or the chemistry of a team. Certain guys need a certain comfort level, and playing together, they complement each other. You go into the locker room saying, ‘I’m comfortable today. I can talk to my buddies about anything, hang out and relax.’ When you move guys around, especially when you started with a certain group, you slowly start to lose that. It can definitely affect the win and loss column, for sure.”

“I mean, it is what it is,” Cain said. “That’s one of the reasons we kind of parted ways; I honestly feel like I never got that respect as a veteran, as a leader on this team, from certain coaches and certain upper management. That’s mostly why we parted ways when we did.”

“It wasn’t [about] playing every day, because I know I was struggling a little bit,” said Cain, who was hitting .179 with a .465 OPS through 156 plate appearances at the time he was cut. “This goes back to not only this year, but years and years. It’s been three years where I’ve felt this way. I think when you mess around with that, when you’re supposed to be the leader of the team, the veteran in the clubhouse, and you don’t get that respect that you feel you should get as a leader and a veteran, I think that makes it harder for me to lead and for certain guys to also lead. Ultimately, it shows up in a big way when you go out there and play on the field

“I definitely think the boys can turn it around, but yeah, when you go through rough times, you need certain guys to keep guys going. I think that’s one of the reasons it’s been a struggle to get guys out of the funk. When you get rid of certain guys, when you start messing with the chemistry of the clubhouse, it affects everybody. It’s happening right now. Hopefully they can turn it around, because you can see it’s been weird. Something’s off, for sure.”
MikeIsGood
RealGM

Post#816 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Sep 6, 2022 2:27 am

This is the second time we've heard this now, right? I'm not saying I discount it, but even granting there's something there, I'm just not ready to believe that's why we're struggling. Like, I think we just got some **** offensive players, man. "I was struggling a little bit," says guy with under a .500 OPS.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Re: 2022 Brewers Trades, Transactions, News - Cain Speaks Out 

Post#817 » by Turk Nowitzki » Tue Sep 6, 2022 12:42 pm

Lorenzo Cain is probably the last person who should be taking shots at the front office in the media considering his production relative to contract the last few years. It seemed pretty respectful to let him hit his 10 years of service time mark before parting ways this year.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#818 » by leroyjw10 » Tue Sep 6, 2022 1:07 pm

I've long appreciated Zo Cain and, while I don't hold this against him, he sat out an entire season for personal reasons. I don't know that he can really speak to team chemistry and locker room dynamics over the past few years when he choose not to participate for one of them.

I mean, how's he supposed to be "leader of the team" and "veteran of the clubhouse" if he's actively choosing not to be part of the team.
Iheartfootball
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,179

Post#819 » by Iheartfootball » Wed Sep 7, 2022 12:25 am

It can, and most likely is, both. You perform best when you have the right amount stress surrounded by people you feel you can trust and support you (stress + support = growth). Some of the team’s issues are individuals not performing due to age, injury, and a disruption in their environment which causes additional stress and loss of focus.

Players are human beings. My guess is these guys don’t have a ton of social emotional training or tools to deal with what happens when business decisions are made and that impacts their performance (more than we probably imagine) along with a a multitude of other reasons.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#820 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:24 pm

In McCalvy's newsletter this afternoon he says that long term deals have not be discussed with Burnes. They were only interested in one year deals, and trades were actually explored in the offseason. It seems likely that we're going to get see major gutting done to this team.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers