2024 ATL Thread - Hader to Astros - 5/$95M

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,249

Re: 2021 ATL Thread - Lindor and Mets agree to 10y/$341M extension 

Post#41 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:10 pm

Holy crap, this doctoring stuff really was everyone. Article mentions Verlander, Wainright, and Scherzer. Pitching coaches.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,183
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#42 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:41 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Holy crap, this doctoring stuff really was everyone. Article mentions Verlander, Wainright, and Scherzer. Pitching coaches.

I've been watching some Twitter guys tracking spin rate and I think Burnes is pretty high on the list of doctoring the ball.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,074

Post#43 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:53 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Holy crap, this doctoring stuff really was everyone. Article mentions Verlander, Wainright, and Scherzer. Pitching coaches.

I've been watching some Twitter guys tracking spin rate and I think Burnes is pretty high on the list of doctoring the ball.

Burnes did struggle Saturday now that scrutiny has picked up. I also saw that Burnes had the 4th highest spin rate LAST season
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#44 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:17 pm

Oh yeah it's everyone. Trevor Bauer basically posted the recipe on Twitter like a year ago.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,339

Post#45 » by crkone » Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:58 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Burnes did struggle Saturday now that scrutiny has picked up. I also saw that Burnes had the 4th highest spin rate LAST season

Have fun inspecting. :D

Right click and open in a new tab to see it better.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/corbin-burnes-669203?stats=statcast-r-pitching-mlb

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#46 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:29 pm

Read on Twitter

Im not really sure what to make of the whole sticky situation. But it certainly feels like baseball has the same cycle with each problem, from PEDs, greenies, sign stealing, to this. People bend the rules and no one cares, then people take it too far and then they finally actually acknowledge the wide spread rule breaking. Rince and repeat.

PEDs is maybe the slight exception because they didn't even have an actual rule against them until the media finally acknowledged they were rampant. This is why I never got too worked up that guys used in the 90s.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#47 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:05 am

I really can't believe these babies are crying about not being allowed to cheat.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,040

Post#48 » by Ryan5UW » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:32 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I really can't believe these babies are crying about not being allowed to cheat.

This!

“I can’t throw 100 mph with pinpoint accuracy anymore because they won’t let me cheat! Now what am I supposed to do? It’s totally unfair!”

:wavefinger:
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,431

Post#49 » by trwi7 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:25 pm

Glasnow blaming a partially torn UCL, an injury that happens because of repetitive **** up your arm by throwing a ball 100 mph like that on not being able to put sticky **** on a ball is genuinely hilarious.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,074

Post#50 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Jun 16, 2021 1:39 pm

Why do pitchers need sunscreen on the mound? It's not like they're out there for several hours. They use it to combine with rosin and that's the only reason.

I have a feeling this will be a big deal for a week or two, a couple of pitchers will get the 10 day and then it will disappear. Not because pitchers stop using stuff but because MLB doesn't want the bad publicity anymore. So they'll appear to "do something" about it but they really won't.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:03 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Why do pitchers need sunscreen on the mound? It's not like they're out there for several hours. They use it to combine with rosin and that's the only reason.

I have a feeling this will be a big deal for a week or two, a couple of pitchers will get the 10 day and then it will disappear. Not because pitchers stop using stuff but because MLB doesn't want the bad publicity anymore. So they'll appear to "do something" about it but they really won't.

I actually think they'll stick with the testing and suspensions. They likely feel that this is a legit way to get offense back in the game.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#52 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:05 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I really can't believe these babies are crying about not being allowed to cheat.
Glasslows claim is a little much but assuming this statement by Boras is true and teams have litterally been teaching guys to use this **** at all levels then I do kind of get why the pitchers are pissed.

Read on Twitter
?s=19

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#53 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 16, 2021 9:14 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Glasslows claim is a little much but assuming this statement by Boras is true and teams have litterally been teaching guys to use this **** at all levels then I do kind of get why the pitchers are pissed.

[/url]

Well yea, I definitely get why they're pissed. But it's still cheating.

Read on Twitter

This guy is right.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#54 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jun 16, 2021 10:24 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

[/url]

Well yea, I definitely get why they're pissed. But it's still cheating.

Read on Twitter

This guy is right.
I don't disagree.

All kind of comes back to my point the other day that baseball has an unwritten rule problem. Maybe they should just have rules and actually follow them.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#55 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:59 am

Read on Twitter

Maybe a Coors effect but, uh, that spin rate.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:24 am

Read on Twitter
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#57 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jun 23, 2021 7:29 pm

Maybe I'm dancing on the grave a little early, but the Cards may need a deep rebuild for the first time (I think) in my conscious lifetime. Arenado is playing fine but going all-in on a bunch of 30+ year old hitters when their farm system/roster was not great anyways is about to dig their grave for about 3 years.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#58 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:07 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Maybe I'm dancing on the grave a little early, but the Cards may need a deep rebuild for the first time (I think) in my conscious lifetime. Arenado is playing fine but going all-in on a bunch of 30+ year old hitters when their farm system/roster was not great anyways is about to dig their grave for about 3 years.

Plundered by the Pirates this weekend.

I jokingly told myself that they have some extremely expensive players at positions of somewhat need (3B/1B) that they chose to overpay...I'm not even sure I'd want them unless the Cards are willing to pay down a bunch of salary to get out of this mess.

I'm all for tying up several years beyond your window into guys like Yelich, Braun, Cain, etc. but you need to actually have a roster you think you can win with. The Cards generally have a high-ish payroll, but they are dug in pretty deep now because they added Arenado to a surprisingly weak roster.

Now they get the honor of paying Arenado $30 million for 1 WAR 2-3 years from now
blazza18
RealGM
And1: 26,892

Post#59 » by blazza18 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:45 am

Crazy how the Angels have another great player, this time someone people are even more enamoured with, and yet they still suck.
Baddy Chuck wrote:I want to win but I also love chaos.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,064

Post#60 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:04 pm

Yep, Ohtani is on pace to put up arguably the greatest individual season in baseball history and a team with him and Mike Trout on it is probably gonna finish like, 8 games below .500....

Is the Angels front office the most incompetent in all of sports?

Return to Milwaukee Brewers