ImageImage

Brewers/Braves NLDS

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Re: Brewers/Braves NLDS 

Post#481 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:27 am

blazza18 wrote:Mark A gotta open his wallet for a great bat. Maybe even move whatever we have for a high upside bat, I dunno. The way we went out if just frustrating as hell.
**** man at this point I'm convinced you just spend big on 1 year deals. Baseball is a weird sport where guys just lose it. Basically shake the magic 8 every year and hope it hits.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#482 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:29 am

It wasn't good to limp into the playoffs with a poor last two weeks (or maybe a month?) of the season. This team hasn't done shi*t and Craig thought we could coast and flip a switch.

Some people will say there's no correlation but we'll just have to agree to disagree. Better to be sharp going into the postseason.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Willie Colon
Starter
And1: 1,151

Post#483 » by Willie Colon » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:42 am

Yelich has to do everything possible to get healthy. I refuse to believe he's actually this bad.
We have Giannis Antetokounmpo and you don't. :naaa:
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,365

Post#484 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:49 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote: Baseball is a weird sport where guys just lose it. Basically shake the magic 8 every year and hope it hits.

This is why I've been in casual fan mode with the Brewers for a long, long time. The payroll discrepancies make it hard to emotionally invest heavy.

The Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc can afford to carry a Yellich, while also bringing in some other big bat/high dollar guys. We have no margin for error. If the Yellich, or Braun or Geoff Jenkins or Jeremy Burnitz star burns out after a couple seasons, it kills our roster flexibility. We're just stuck with dead money.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
StickeeFingaz
RealGM
And1: 6,702

Post#485 » by StickeeFingaz » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:55 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote: Baseball is a weird sport where guys just lose it. Basically shake the magic 8 every year and hope it hits.

This is why I've been in casual fan mode with the Brewers for a long, long time. The payroll discrepancies make it hard to emotionally invest heavy.

The Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox, etc can afford to carry a Yellich, while also bringing in some other big bat/high dollar guys. We have no margin for error. If the Yellich, or Braun or Geoff Jenkins or Jeremy Burnitz star burns out after a couple seasons, it kills our roster flexibility. We're just stuck with dead money.

This is true. I'm also throwing my hands in the air because we always hear how pitching wins in October...well we had the pitching but then we have some of the worst plate appearances I've ever seen. Feels hopeless.
#FreeChuckDiesel
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,365

Post#486 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:00 am

Willie Colon wrote:Yelich has to do everything possible to get healthy. I refuse to believe he's actually this bad.

He absolutely had me fooled. I thought he was one of those transcendent MLB stars that is excellent over an 8-10 year stretch.

You hate to say contract push, but that big extension was signed in March of 2020. He really hasn't been the same player since signing the deal.

He's uh, got 8 more years on that contract after this.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,630

Post#487 » by Bernman » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:12 am

How many managers you think have a Cy Young candidate for back-to-back seasons and don't throw him 4 days later w/ their team's playoff lives on the line?

Maybe 5% of them. The opposing manager threw their #1 back out there in spite of him being inferior to Burnes, but to 1 fan here we're not supposed to question the minority reporter, or the majority reporters if they were our skippers instead.

There is a right and wrong decision here obviously. If you throw out the anomaly seasons or halves, Burnes has half Lauer's ERA. The larger sample stats showsLauer isn't fit to carry Burnes' jock. Counsell even admitted that by yanking Lauer in the 4th inning. You think that's happening to Burnes off just loading the bases? He would have went 7-8 unless the wheels or his arm were coming off.

The bats let us down previously, but not really in this one. 4 should be enough to win a playoff game, especially when your ace is ready to go. But Counsell didn't press that advantage because he was playing for tomorrow, when you need a win today.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#488 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:15 am

paulpressey25 wrote:
Willie Colon wrote:Yelich has to do everything possible to get healthy. I refuse to believe he's actually this bad.

He absolutely had me fooled. I thought he was one of those transcendent MLB stars that is excellent over an 8-10 year stretch.

You hate to say contract push, but that big extension was signed in March of 2020. He really hasn't been the same player since signing the deal.

He's uh, got 8 more years on that contract after this.
It's not like Yelich let himself get fat or something. I don't think it's a situation like in other sports where guys try harder in contract year. Like I'm sure Yelich is trying as hard as he can to hit the ball it's just not working right now. Hell if anything he might be trying too hard to live up to his contract. That's why I was only half kidding when I said he needs some peyote to reset his brain.

He's not alone in this though, baseball is full of situations where dudes just suck after being good. Look at Cody Bellinger, dude crushed it two seasons ago and hit .160 this season.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Threezus
Veteran
And1: 1,625

Post#489 » by Threezus » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:23 am

ReginaldDwight wrote:So we cant have the redskins or indians, but the Braves and their tomahawk chop chant are totally cool?

Im gonna be honest if they end up making us change it i already got the perfect plan in place for it. Best part is we honestly don't even really have to change to much about it. We can keep our colors, our logo style, and our chop style fan motion.

To me the next move the braves should make if forced to swap names is to be known as The Atlanta Hammers For Hammerin Hank Aaron to honor him and what he meant to the city and to the game. You turn the tomohawk on the shirt into a hammer considering both of them look very similar and fits under the name on the shirt. You can still do the chop / hammer motion.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,782

Post#490 » by ReginaldDwight » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:39 am

Threezus wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:So we cant have the redskins or indians, but the Braves and their tomahawk chop chant are totally cool?

Im gonna be honest if they end up making us change it i already got the perfect plan in place for it. Best part is we honestly don't even really have to change to much about it. We can keep our colors, our logo style, and our chop style fan motion.

To me the next move the braves should make if forced to swap names is to be known as The Atlanta Hammers For Hammerin Hank Aaron to honor him and what he meant to the city and to the game. You turn the tomohawk on the shirt into a hammer considering both of them look very similar and fits under the name on the shirt. You can still do the chop / hammer motion.

Honestly its the cringe chant that seems alittle out of touch tbh.
SupremeHustle
RealGM
And1: 28,696

Post#491 » by SupremeHustle » Wed Oct 13, 2021 2:54 am

My outside looking in view is that team didn't even really look like a playoff team. I only watched the playoffs, though. No regular-season games.
jschligs wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't know who the **** SupremeHustle is?
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#492 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:37 am

Bernman wrote:How many managers you think have a Cy Young candidate for back-to-back seasons and don't throw him 4 days later w/ their team's playoff lives on the line?

Maybe 5% of them. The opposing manager threw their #1 back out there in spite of him being inferior to Burnes, but to 1 fan here we're not supposed to question the minority reporter, or the majority reporters if they were our skippers instead.

They said he wasn't physically ready to pitch today. What is he supposed to do? You think he should've said "**** it" and thrown him out there anyway?
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,994

Post#493 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:45 am

I have only minor nitpicks with anything CC did in this series. The players have to execute and pretty much team wide they failed to do that in this series.
milweskee
Starter
And1: 348

Post#494 » by milweskee » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:55 am

Every Native American reference must be wiped from the public eye and/or repurposed for something completely devoid of culture or historical importance - something inherently white developed by a panel of white people will suffice. Guardians and Football Team are taken so please allow a few more months for brainstorming.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,186

Post#495 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:24 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:I have only minor nitpicks with anything CC did in this series. The players have to execute and pretty much team wide they failed to do that in this series.

Thats where I ended up too. The only nitpik I was "right" on was going back to Houser. But its all moot when you can't score a single run.

Didn't understand starting Lo Cain yesterday after he could barely move and he gets two hits and a stolen base. Didn't understand starting Urias over Escobar and Urias saved multiple runs with incredible defense.

Simply, the bats didn't show up. Wong was bad, Willy was bad, Yelich was bad, Avi was bad. Not just the raw numbers, but the approaches. Can't have the top of your lineup all go ice cold and expect to advance. What the f**k was that bunt attempt? Our hitters didn't make Atlanta's pitchers pay for mistakes. Joc and Freddy made our pitchers pay for theirs.

Now the Yelich situation becomes very, VERY, loud and annoying. That, and hopefully Stearns doesn't leave for his dream job in NY. What an absolute bust and bummer of a series.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,185
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#496 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:33 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
Bernman wrote:How many managers you think have a Cy Young candidate for back-to-back seasons and don't throw him 4 days later w/ their team's playoff lives on the line?

They said he wasn't physically ready to pitch today. What is he supposed to do? You think he should've said "**** it" and thrown him out there anyway?

Also, with the benefit of hindsight:

We used the rest of our horses "as much as we could" (Ashby maxed out, Hader pitched, Woodruff went his bullpen day amount).

So if Burnes went for 4 innings last night, we'd have had...what, Woodruff for maybe a limited amount on Thursday? We needed to win 2 games so that is the one scenario where it's fine to save something for the next game.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,148

Post#497 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:34 pm

They finally plate some runs and then the bullpen just collapses. I usually hate when people say things like this, but they just looked like they quit after the Freeman HR. Everyone in looked shell-shocked.

Hitting coaches can get ****. Some of the worst plate discipline and small-ball execution I've ever seen. Even with the talent in place, we can't ever seem to put it all together at the right time. Overall just a brutal, soul-crushing way to exit the postseason and waste probably the greatest Brewers pitching that a lot of us will see in our lifetimes.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#498 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:35 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:I have only minor nitpicks with anything CC did in this series. The players have to execute and pretty much team wide they failed to do that in this series.

Thats where I ended up too. The only nitpik I was "right" on was going back to Houser. But its all moot when you can't score a single run.

Didn't understand starting Lo Cain yesterday after he could barely move and he gets two hits and a stolen base. Didn't understand starting Urias over Escobar and Urias saved multiple runs with incredible defense.

Simply, the bats didn't show up. Wong was bad, Willy was bad, Yelich was bad, Avi was bad. Not just the raw numbers, but the approaches. Can't have the top of your lineup all go ice cold and expect to advance. What the f**k was that bunt attempt? Our hitters didn't make Atlanta's pitchers pay for mistakes. Joc and Freddy made our pitchers pay for theirs.

Now the Yelich situation becomes very, VERY, loud and annoying. That, and hopefully Stearns doesn't leave for his dream job in NY. What an absolute bust and bummer of a series.

Stearns has 1 year left on his deal. We likely deny the Mets their chance to talk to him, and if it is accepted, there is speculation that Mark sees the writing on the wall and trades Stearns allowing him out of the contract. The Mets can take Yelich with Stearns in the trade...seriously.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#499 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:36 pm

SupremeHustle wrote:My outside looking in view is that team didn't even really look like a playoff team. I only watched the playoffs, though. No regular-season games.

The pitching was...the hitting end of things maybe in hindsight was a "regular season offense" that was put together with some interesting platoon players that could score in bunches with homers but couldn't put the ball in play against really good pitching that is sometimes required in the playoffs.

That said, if Yelich and Hiura were the guys we thought they were, the lineup would look much better than it did with 1 or 2 elite hitters. Instead it was just a lineup with "pretty good" hitters.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,792

Post#500 » by MikeIsGood » Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:57 pm

It feels bizarre to say the season is mercifully over considering we won 95 teams and had a very enjoyable team and players overall, but it kind of does feel like that after how miserable our offense was for the majority of the season - including/especially the past month. Games were just painful when the bats weren't there, and there were way too many times we weren't able to give our pitching support.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers