ImageImage

2024 Managerial Candidates - Pat Murphy gets the nod

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Pick 2: Who do you want to manage the Brewers in 2024?

Pat Murphy
25%
Brewers Front Office (R. Weeks/C.Villanueva)
36%
Mark Kotsay
4%
Don Mattingly
7%
Gabe Kapler
7%
David Ross
4%
Clayton McCollough
4%
Joe Espada (Out - Houston Astros)
4%
Troy Snitker
7%
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,078

Re: 2024 Managerial Candidates 

Post#21 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Oct 19, 2023 3:54 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:“if they offer him a fair deal” - what are the odds of that? Someone needs to help Mark find his wallet…

What would we all offer Counsell? I think I saw CC made 3.5M in 2023 which already puts him in the top 20% of league. Believe in 2024 that Bob Melvin will be highest paid at 4M, so CC was already close to being the top. So do you go in at like 4Y in the 18-20M range?
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,040

Post#22 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Oct 19, 2023 4:42 pm

I don't remember if this was posted elsewhere, and it's from Bob Nightengale (I don't know if he's a great source or not), but:

"What’s going on is the sabermetric boys are taking away from our salaries," one manager said, "because they think they can manage."

While MLB had a record $10.8 billion in revenue this past season, manager salaries have plummeted by 50%, according to agents who represent managers.

"I can not think of an industry in this country," said one veteran agent, "where their CEO, CFO, president or whatever has their salary go down by 50%."

There are only six managers in the game who are scheduled to earn at least $3 million in 2024, led by Padres manager Bob Melvin’s $4 million salaries, according to USA TODAY’s research: Bochy, Melvin, Buck Showalter (fired), Dave Martinez, Roberts and Alex Cora.

Managers are losing leverage every year. If they ask for a nice raise, and the teams resist, they’ll threaten to find someone else who’ll take the job. If a rookie manager is hired, they’re supposed to be grateful just to have a job, even if they’re earning less than the major-league player minimum of $800,000.

"These young managers will accept almost anything," one manager said, "just to get on the pension program."

It leaves Milwaukee Brewers manager Craig Counsell with the responsibility of raising managerial salaries once he signs a new contract.

Counsell, who’s the hottest managerial free agent when his contract expires Oct. 31, earned $3.5 million last season with the Brewers.

He knows he was severely undervalued, and would like to be paid accordingly, if not with the Brewers, somewhere else.

He should get a bump in pay to at least $5 million a year, if not at least $6 million. If the Brewers don’t want to pay it, there’s a certain team in Queens, N.Y., that will.

Counsell definitely wants to keep managing, and most likely will stay put in Milwaukee with the New York hype being overblown, but friends say it is important to him to help reverse the course of managerial salaries.

The bolded parts I found interesting.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,249

Post#23 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Oct 19, 2023 5:45 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:"I can not think of an industry in this country," said one veteran agent, "where their CEO, CFO, president or whatever has their salary go down by 50%."

God I would love to know whose quote that is, because it's illuminating on a number of levels.

In the grand scheme of things, a manager making $5-$6 million shouldn't be any kind of an issue. That's middle reliever money, a drop in the bucket. If CC wants that to continue to manage here, just open the check book and say thank you.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,901

Post#24 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Oct 19, 2023 7:01 pm

I actually get the argument that many managers can't add much beyond the value of good analytics, but it just doesn't apply to Counsell at all. He's excellent with analytics and with managing egos, roles, and team character in general. He is really and truly our Popovich, and I'm praying for at least 10 more years.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,004

Post#25 » by BUCKnation » Thu Oct 19, 2023 11:38 pm

I've always thought managers/coaches were underpaid. For such an important position within the team and the fact that it doesn't count against any kind of cap, their salaries should trend higher. If a team loses, blame is placed on the 3.5M a year manager and not the scuffling 10M third baseman for example.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,074

Post#26 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Oct 20, 2023 12:52 am

If Attanasio low-balls him I'll be pissed but I won't be surprised.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#27 » by LittleRooster » Fri Oct 20, 2023 2:26 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:I actually get the argument that many managers can't add much beyond the value of good analytics, but it just doesn't apply to Counsell at all. He's excellent with analytics and with managing egos, roles, and team character in general. He is really and truly our Popovich, and I'm praying for at least 10 more years.

Agreed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#28 » by Thunder Muscle » Fri Oct 20, 2023 4:42 pm

The main reason I feel he would maybe want to leave is he does have to really manage hard to maximize our success. Our offense has been lackluster and any kind of injuries to the pitching makes it trickier. After awhile I could see that wearing down a Manager when there is an offer to go to larger markets where you can fill holes by adding high profile talent.

But I agree, if he wants 5M/year --- just do it since he has been able to have success with how our organization operates. Unless you're in the camp that thinks he is a great regular season manager, but not a good playoff one b/c his playoff record is not very good. That is probably a whole another conversation though.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#29 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:49 pm

Dusty Baker to retire. Another viable landing spot for Counsell if he chooses to leave. Houston obviously built to win World Series right now.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#30 » by Thunder Muscle » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:26 pm

According to SNY's @martinonyc, sources say Craig Counsell would welcome the challenge of managing in New York:

"Two league sources familiar with the situation said on Monday that Counsell would indeed embrace New York. If he and [David] Stearns wish to continue their partnership, sources say, geography will not be a roadblock."
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#31 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Oct 25, 2023 2:59 pm

The Mets have received permission to interview Craig Counsell for the manager job, according to league sources. Brewers had initially indicated they would not grant it, and Counsell’s contract would have to expire. They have changed course, and Mets will be interviewing him soon.

Thats probably not a great sign, if want CC back.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,249

Post#32 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:02 pm

Really just a formality. He could have interviewed after the WS anyway.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,040

Post#33 » by Ryan5UW » Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:20 pm

Knew it was probably going to happen, but seeing it start to come to fruition still sucks
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,064

Post#34 » by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:09 pm

Stephen Vogt should get an interview. None of the retreads interest me a whole lot.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,982

Post#35 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:46 pm

This really **** sucks.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,074

Re: 2024 Managerial Candidates - Mets Given Permission to Interview CC 

Post#36 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:49 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#37 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:54 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Really just a formality. He could have interviewed after the WS anyway.

I just feel if he was returning he wouldn’t even go interview. It is not like he needs to use Mets as leverage I wouldn’t think, maybe I guess. My, I really have no insight, opinion is he informed the team this weekend he was going to look at other jobs (cue looking Contreras tweet), the team out of respect eased off their no interview until WS is done, and he’ll be announced to NYM shortly after WS is over.

San Diego could be intriguing though for CC too.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#38 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Oct 25, 2023 4:58 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Stephen Vogt should get an interview. None of the retreads interest me a whole lot.

Same. I feel like Kapler is the only retread we will consider.

My dark horse boom or bust guy is still Mark DeRosa if he is serious about managing full time. He maybe would not want to take over here, but I think he is definitely a future manager and worth a look.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,286

Post#39 » by humanrefutation » Wed Oct 25, 2023 5:19 pm

If this is really just about money, Mark would be insane to let him walk over a couple million.

But with CC, I always thought it was just as much about him struggling to work with spare parts here in Milwaukee. Going to the Mets would add a ton of pressure, but it would also involve a POBO he knows well and an owner who isn't afraid to spend money.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#40 » by Thunder Muscle » Wed Oct 25, 2023 6:23 pm

humanrefutation wrote:If this is really just about money, Mark would be insane to let him walk over a couple million.

But with CC, I always thought it was just as much about him struggling to work with spare parts here in Milwaukee. Going to the Mets would add a ton of pressure, but it would also involve a POBO he knows well and an owner who isn't afraid to spend money.

I definitely feel like its mostly the latter and timing it with knowing Burnes/Woodruff are going to be gone. He maybe wants to keep contending now vs waiting for our next crop.

Return to Milwaukee Brewers