ImageImage

2024 Managerial Candidates - Pat Murphy gets the nod

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Pick 2: Who do you want to manage the Brewers in 2024?

Pat Murphy
25%
Brewers Front Office (R. Weeks/C.Villanueva)
36%
Mark Kotsay
4%
Don Mattingly
7%
Gabe Kapler
7%
David Ross
4%
Clayton McCollough
4%
Joe Espada (Out - Houston Astros)
4%
Troy Snitker
7%
Other
4%

Total votes: 28

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Re: 2024 Managerial Candidates - Mets Given Permission to Interview CC 

Post#41 » by M-C-G » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:29 pm

Thunder Muscle wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:If this is really just about money, Mark would be insane to let him walk over a couple million.

But with CC, I always thought it was just as much about him struggling to work with spare parts here in Milwaukee. Going to the Mets would add a ton of pressure, but it would also involve a POBO he knows well and an owner who isn't afraid to spend money.

I definitely feel like its mostly the latter and timing it with knowing Burnes/Woodruff are going to be gone. He maybe wants to keep contending now vs waiting for our next crop.

Not very hard to envision that Stearns knew where he was going some time last season and offered a partnership with unlimited funds to Counsell as manager. Just kind of wish CC wouldn't have pretended it was about anything else, but can't blame him for wanting that shot. But then cool it with the 'my kids' talk.

Bummer we took massive flyers on CC and Stearns and they may very well end up both leaving us but not a lot of loyalty at those positions in the MLB
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,431

Post#42 » by trwi7 » Wed Oct 25, 2023 10:44 pm

I am available for interview as well Brewers and willing to take less than Counsell even though I deserve more.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,247

Post#43 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 25, 2023 11:37 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Thunder Muscle wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:If this is really just about money, Mark would be insane to let him walk over a couple million.

But with CC, I always thought it was just as much about him struggling to work with spare parts here in Milwaukee. Going to the Mets would add a ton of pressure, but it would also involve a POBO he knows well and an owner who isn't afraid to spend money.

I definitely feel like its mostly the latter and timing it with knowing Burnes/Woodruff are going to be gone. He maybe wants to keep contending now vs waiting for our next crop.

Not very hard to envision that Stearns knew where he was going some time last season and offered a partnership with unlimited funds to Counsell as manager. Just kind of wish CC wouldn't have pretended it was about anything else, but can't blame him for wanting that shot. But then cool it with the 'my kids' talk.

Bummer we took massive flyers on CC and Stearns and they may very well end up both leaving us but not a lot of loyalty at those positions in the MLB

CC was the 2nd longest tenured manager in all of MLB. Even Stearns was with the Brewers way longer than anyone should expect a guy to hang around.

They more than earned their right to move on to other challenges with no hard feelings.
Ryan5UW
General Manager
And1: 1,040

Post#44 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:37 am

Having to thread the needle perfectly and pray everything breaks your way vs essentially a blank check to try and win a World Series? Easy decision to me.
"It's an illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore does for money."
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,247

Post#45 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:34 am

Personally, I'd just love to be rich as hell in NYC for a while.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,901

Post#46 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:18 pm

Combined with the Woodruff surgery, losing Counsell would give them a great opening to justify a true rebuild. I 100% supported their decision to go for it all again this year, and I still say it was worth a shot, but it's time. Adames, Yelich, Burnes for sure, but I'm listening to offers for Contreras, Peralta, and Williams at the trade deadline as well. They got their stadium money so they can afford to tank. Casual fans don't know what's good for them anyway, so let them stay home for a few years. They'll eventually be begging to come back.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM
And1: 1,078

Post#47 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:32 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Combined with the Woodruff surgery, losing Counsell would give them a great opening to justify a true rebuild. I 100% supported their decision to go for it all again this year, and I still say it was worth a shot, but it's time. Adames, Yelich, Burnes for sure, but I'm listening to offers for Contreras, Peralta, and Williams at the trade deadline as well. They got their stadium money so they can afford to tank. Casual fans don't know what's good for them anyway, so let them stay home for a few years. They'll eventually be begging to come back.

And really if the farm system lives up to the hype they have enough guys on the cusp that it may be a situation where 2024 may be up/down but 2025 we may be alright, especially if hit on trading someone like Burnes and/or Williams.
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#48 » by Thunder Muscle » Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:34 pm

Cleveland has reached out wanting to interview Counsell. I have heard they are a dark horse candidate as they likely willing to pay and they have a front office that CC may like.
Ryan5UW
General Manager

Post#49 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:49 pm

I can't see Attanasio wanting to go for a full rebuild. He seems like an owner who wants to keep attendance as high as he can and at least shoot for the 8th seed.... err last wild card spot as often as possible.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#50 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 3:57 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:I can't see Attanasio wanting to go for a full rebuild. He seems like an owner who wants to keep attendance as high as he can and at least shoot for the 8th seed.... err last wild card spot as often as possible.

We're still making 8th-seed comparisons after watching yet another 85-ish win wild card team get to the World Series? I'm sorry but JFC.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#51 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Oct 26, 2023 4:46 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:I can't see Attanasio wanting to go for a full rebuild. He seems like an owner who wants to keep attendance as high as he can and at least shoot for the 8th seed.... err last wild card spot as often as possible.
Not trying to carry Mark As water and I'm all for a sell off rebuild next year but from a business standpoint I do get wanting to stay at least somewhat competitive. This is a packer state and the bucks are really good right now, easy for the Brewers to become an afterthought. The gate money is important to this franchise and they are going to be negotiating a new regional TV deal soon. As much as hard core fans can want a total rebuild to give the best shot at a WS at some point in the future that's not realistically the only goal for a pro franchise. At the end of the day pro sports are a business.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ryan5UW
General Manager

Post#52 » by Ryan5UW » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:07 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:

We're still making 8th-seed comparisons after watching yet another 85-ish win wild card team get to the World Series? I'm sorry but JFC.

Calm down... the point I was trying to make is I don't see ownership being on board with a full rebuild.

Yes, a wild card team can absolutely get to the World Series. It helps if they beat the Brewers lol The teams the Brewers specifically have been putting together have all been very flawed and I think ownership prefers to continue to be regular season competitive and draw fans as opposed to taking a hit for a rebuild to put together a contender. The 8th seed comment was a joke to that effect.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#53 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:34 pm

Ryan5UW wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:

Calm down... the point I was trying to make is I don't see ownership being on board with a full rebuild.

Yes, a wild card team can absolutely get to the World Series. It helps if they beat the Brewers lol The teams the Brewers specifically have been putting together have all been very flawed and I think ownership prefers to continue to be regular season competitive and draw fans as opposed to taking a hit for a rebuild to put together a contender. The 8th seed comment was a joke to that effect.

Sorry, it's just been used way too many times in a non-joking way, and it's not a valid criticism. Flawed teams also win in the playoffs on a regular basis. There's tons of luck in a playoff series. There's tons of luck in baseball, period.

I'm not convinced ownership will rebuild either, but after averaging close to 90 wins in 6 out of the last 7 seasons (and 2020 didn't mean much quite frankly), it's natural to have trouble keeping a good team together in a small market. I think Mark A understands that, and would accept one down year with a great minor league system. Or maybe he just cleans up the books to sell the team. Would be a great time to do it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,074

Post#54 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Oct 26, 2023 5:55 pm

Attanasio will never do a full rebuild. He's stated in the past that the ownership group expects to make a profit every year. Attendance is a big part of that. You'd think that the valuation going from $223 million to an estimated $1.2 billion would allow for being in the red from time to time.

But as stated above, if he's planning to sell anytime soon a rebuild would likely preface that. Yelich is the only long term expensive contract on the books. He had a good year but still has 5 years left so I don't know how moveable he is yet without taking back salary that's close. Maybe someone with 3 or 4 years left would suffice. I doubt it would be strictly Yelich for prospects or anyone good still in years 1-3.

Get the stadium deal done, clear the books as much as possible and sell. I'd love it. (I know a new owner(s) could be terrible but I'll roll the dice). I don't even know exactly how much he owns. I assume he owns a majority but he's described as the "principal owner" so who knows. He's 65, maybe wants to cash out.

There are 17 total owners including the Lubar, Marcus and Uilein families. Harris Turer and of course Giannis have a small stake.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,064

Post#55 » by Matches Malone » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:33 pm

I've already come to terms with Craig leaving for the Mets, just wish he'd get it over with already so we can move on.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Thunder Muscle
RealGM

Post#56 » by Thunder Muscle » Mon Oct 30, 2023 8:31 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I've already come to terms with Craig leaving for the Mets, just wish he'd get it over with already so we can move on.

Read on Twitter

Same. He is probably using Cleveland as leverage to get more out of the Mets, haha.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,286

Post#57 » by humanrefutation » Tue Oct 31, 2023 6:03 am

I was surprised that he interviewed with Cleveland. It made me feel like he's trying to leverage whatever he can out of Mark to come back.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,783

Post#58 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:57 pm

Errr, yeah the Cleveland thing suddenly makes me think he's coming back more than leaving. He doesn't need much leverage to get NYM to open up the pocketbook, but Mark on the other hand...
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,063

Post#59 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Oct 31, 2023 5:07 pm

I mean, maybe? Interviewing with NY would already be the negotiating tactic to leverage more money out of Attanasio, no? I don't really see how adding Cleveland to the mix affects that. I'm just assuming he's gone until proven otherwise and I'll be pleasantly surprised if he's back.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,119

Post#60 » by MVP2110 » Fri Nov 3, 2023 12:34 am

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/mlb/brewers/2023/11/02/what-we-know-about-craig-counsells-free-agency-where-brewers-stand/71427700007/

Brewers will get an opportunity to match whatever Counsell's top offer is but he won't take a hometown discount. Counsell reportedly wants to be paid atleast $7 mil per year which $2 mil more than what the highest paid manager this past year was.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"

Return to Milwaukee Brewers